GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DTC-60 on stock rotors ?! LOL

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
I think we're having a misunderstanding of what bias is and means. Most modern cars braking is biased to the front. Most of the braking is done by the front brakes because of weight transfer and available grip. The rear brakes do very little braking because there is no weight on the brakes due to weight transfer, thus very little grip. The rear end would be impossible to control if it were biased to the rear. Just like on a motorcycle. Now as far as wear. In my experience (working at a dealer) pad replacement is almost 2:1. That is the front pads get replaced almost 2 times for every one time for the rear.

Read this.

http://stoptech.com/technical-suppo...ias-and-performance-why-brake-balance-matters

GibbyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Just chiming in with my experience.

I have used DTC-60s on track with long straights and tight corners, requiring heavy braking, without any complaints. They have performed very well. This is with dust shields in place on stock calipers and cheap blank rotors.

I find it interesting how any one product can have such a mixed reaction from consumers. Personally I find Hawk HP+ useless pads. Too aggressive for street use, but too mild for track use - don't even get me started on how they constantly left deposits on my rotors.

Moral of the story: at the end of the day the only opinion that matters is your own. You can use reviews like this to make an informed buying decision, but ultimately you might be surprised at the performance or quality of the product you've bought.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
I think we're having a misunderstanding of what bias is and means. Most modern cars braking is biased to the front. Most of the braking is done by the front brakes because of weight transfer and available grip. The rear brakes do very little braking because there is no weight on the brakes due to weight transfer, thus very little grip. The rear end would be impossible to control if it were biased to the rear. Just like on a motorcycle. Now as far as wear. In my experience (working at a dealer) pad replacement is almost 2:1. That is the front pads get replaced almost 2 times for every one time for the rear.

Read this.

http://stoptech.com/technical-suppo...ias-and-performance-why-brake-balance-matters

idk what to tell you man. there are plenty of threads on here/golfmk5/vwvortex regarding people replacing the rears twice as fast. i'm looking through again and some are saying that the rear compound is softer than the front too, but either way i have yet to see anyone replace front rotors more often. i have actually never replaced my front pads besides upgrading, and even on my subaru my rears went faster than the fronts. are you saying your fronts were worn out before the rears?

Just chiming in with my experience.

I have used DTC-60s on track with long straights and tight corners, requiring heavy braking, without any complaints. They have performed very well. This is with dust shields in place on stock calipers and cheap blank rotors.

I find it interesting how any one product can have such a mixed reaction from consumers. Personally I find Hawk HP+ useless pads. Too aggressive for street use, but too mild for track use - don't even get me started on how they constantly left deposits on my rotors.

Moral of the story: at the end of the day the only opinion that matters is your own. You can use reviews like this to make an informed buying decision, but ultimately you might be surprised at the performance or quality of the product you've bought.

it's because you're on blanks. slotted rotors improved my bite. i know a lot of folks say that slots are gimmicky and the original use i.e. gas relief is negligible, but ensuring you're putting clean contact on new pad material every time is worth it. i agree though it's pretty aggressive for the street. i will probably wait to go up to dtc60s until i run a race tire, but i'm more concerned about the dtcs overwhelming street tires.

onefastGTI1

Ready to race!
it's because you're on blanks. slotted rotors improved my bite. i know a lot of folks say that slots are gimmicky and the original use i.e. gas relief is negligible, but ensuring you're putting clean contact on new pad material every time is worth it. i agree though it's pretty aggressive for the street. i will probably wait to go up to dtc60s until i run a race tire, but i'm more concerned about the dtcs overwhelming street tires.

I'm running DTC60 + Centric blanks on 255/40 Z2 Starspecs and liked them a lot. They are for track use only and driving to/from the track with 4-5 days of daily driving after the track cause I'm lazy :D

Stopping power is phenomenal but they do eat through centric/OEM blanks quiet fast. Also, TONS of brake dust.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
I'm running DTC60 + Centric blanks on 255/40 Z2 Starspecs and liked them a lot. They are for track use only and driving to/from the track with 4-5 days of daily driving after the track cause I'm lazy :D

Stopping power is phenomenal but they do eat through centric/OEM blanks quiet fast. Also, TONS of brake dust.

yeah that doesn't bother me. but with my hp+ i can get the abs to kick in and the emergency brake lights flash (vagcom tweak) so it's pretty close if not at the limit of street tires. the last thing i want to do is overwhelm them. threshold braking can be tough as is.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
idk what to tell you man. there are plenty of threads on here/golfmk5/vwvortex regarding people replacing the rears twice as fast. i'm looking through again and some are saying that the rear compound is softer than the front too, but either way i have yet to see anyone replace front rotors more often. i have actually never replaced my front pads besides upgrading, and even on my subaru my rears went faster than the fronts. are you saying your fronts were worn out before the rears?

Idk what to tell you lol. Worked at a dealership for 5 years. Fronts always wore out quicker. The only explanation would be the stability control over working the rear pads during aggressive driving or racing. Or that our cars have an electronically variable proportioning valve that shifts more braking to the rear under low load braking. I went BBK and golf R rear brakes before I needed to replace my stickers, so I can't compare this to my car.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-front-brakes-of-a-car-wear-down-faster-than-the-rear

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
In my experience, the DTC-60s work great on stock rotors. I reliably get 8 hours of track time out of a set, by which time the rotors are starting to show cracks so get replaced as well.

HT-10s in the rear easily last through 24+ hours of track time and virtually unlimited mileage in regular road use. And the rotors out back also last forever. Rear brakes just don't do much!

Nothing fancy to get decent life out of these parts, just ATE fluid, stainless lines, and Tyrolsport bushings - and probably most importantly, remove those dust shields!

schulmann

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally I fixed my brake problems. Actually the fix is easy but not for street use.
I removed:
- Rotor Dust shields
- Front wheel liners
- Fog lights
- Windshield fluid reservoir
- Horns
- Added two air ducts per side

All these removals increased air flow and now caliper temperature is in the acceptable range: 450F.

By the way, most track guys run light weight their GTI, it seems that some cars only weight 2300lb (MK5, MK6) ?! That explains how they can run stock rotors with stock calipers.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Good info.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
if corner exit is faster you should be faster at the end of the straight as well, all things considered. it shouldn't create that much drag.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
oh wow.

run Castrol SRF fluid FTW, btw. Expensive as balls, but well worth it.

and just wow, yeah. need a true racecar or Bbk then or something, your results are nowhere near typical.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Finally I fixed my brake problems. Actually the fix is easy but not for street use.
I removed:
- Rotor Dust shields
- Front wheel liners
- Fog lights
- Windshield fluid reservoir
- Horns
- Added two air ducts per side

All these removals increased air flow and now caliper temperature is in the acceptable range: 450F.

By the way, most track guys run light weight their GTI, it seems that some cars only weight 2300lb (MK5, MK6) ?! That explains how they can run stock rotors with stock calipers.

You've told everyone over two threads your entire setup except brake fluid.... What brake fluid are you running??? At this point, you may be embarrassed to admit you were running stock fluid or similar. But please don't be if so. It's good information for people to know in the future. So confess, you were running the Autozone brake fluid special, weren't you? :)

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
You've told everyone over two threads your entire setup except brake fluid.... What brake fluid are you running??? At this point, you may be embarrassed to admit you were running stock fluid or similar. But please don't be if so. It's good information for people to know in the future. So confess, you were running the Autozone brake fluid special, weren't you? :)
So many have tried to get him to admit it. So many have failed......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk