GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Off-Topic Discussions > General Car News and Discussions

Old 11-20-2015, 02:34 PM   #43
steemax
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX Stage 2 ProTune
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedVW11 View Post
ford rs though wow, bye bye wrx
Meh, that's another $10k over the WRX. Could do a lot to a WRX for $10k like a Stage 3 IAG short block, ETS Turbo kit etc...

Now compared to the STI, i'd take the Ford because of the ancient STI engine.
Instagram: Steamax
steemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:15 PM   #44
BoostedVW11
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 2003 Subaru Wrx Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by steemax View Post
Meh, that's another $10k over the WRX. Could do a lot to a WRX for $10k like a Stage 3 IAG short block, ETS Turbo kit etc...

Now compared to the STI, i'd take the Ford because of the ancient STI engine.
hatchback is gone for subaru iirc...

no drift mode, no more burbley famous subaru exhaust note...

chyeah
BoostedVW11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:49 AM   #45
DaveSTR
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2015 STi / 2014 M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by steemax View Post
Agreed, I love my WRX as well. Coming from a GTI the WRX 15+ is a lot more fun and not to mention the handling is miles better. If the GTI is the extent of your performance car experience, I encourage anyone who can get access to a 15+ STI or WRX to take one to the twisties and rip on it...
Big +1 - get out of the 1/4mi acceleration mindset and get out on the roads/mountain roads etc and use the car as designed. Its just a blast. Makes great sounds and has plenty of space etc. Its a great fun anti modern, programmable, does all the work for you car. No silly electric steering etc. It requires input from you and rewards smoothness and an engaged driver.

I liked my GTI but this appeals to me way more overall. Its not for everyone but its worth a look!
Old 03-26-2017, 08:58 PM   #46
Totally_Stock_Except
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2012 Mk6 DSG CW blk roof
I had a Legacy 2.5GT, loved the fast revving boxer engine but the whole body was so flexy I didn't bother trying to mod it...before that car I was spoiled by 3 urS4s in a row over 12 years! Those cars had great solid chassis...I assume the WRX are better chassis than Legacy were?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Totally_Stock_Except is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #47
ChrisB
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 MKVI Driver's Ed German Fit
The new WRX/STI chassis is WAY stiffer than the old ones. As a result, it rides way rougher than the previous model but handles like it is on rails compared to the prior generation. I still want one, lol.
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:57 PM   #48
Short Bus
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '10 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
The new WRX/STI chassis is WAY stiffer than the old ones. As a result, it rides way rougher than the previous model but handles like it is on rails compared to the prior generation. I still want one, lol.
Geez, I don't want to imagine anything that rides worse than the old 2004-2007 STi. I want to want another STI, but if I'm going all in on a stiff car right now my money is on the RS. For my real dollars I'm probably getting a Golf R.
Short Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #49
pcfoo
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 Golf GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
Geez, I don't want to imagine anything that rides worse than the old 2004-2007 STi. I want to want another STI, but if I'm going all in on a stiff car right now my money is on the RS. For my real dollars I'm probably getting a Golf R.
You can have an aggressive & stiff suspension on a not that stiff of a frame...will ride rough all day and be tough to dial regardless of socks...then add over-stiffened rear sway to counter understeer from badly managing weight transfer that gets exacerbated by the easily added extra power and...boom, your average "tuned" STI. "Perfect" for a daily driver
The new WRX is just a new class of car.

I agree that if you have the $, the RS is probably the best dialed "wild" Hatch out there. A 21st century EVO.
The flamboyant AMG A45 - even if it was available in the US - might be faster in a straight line @ stock, and perhaps the slightly less powerful GLA 45AMG still is, but neither is as refined as either the RS or the Golf R despite the heftier price, with the latter being the low-key "king" of hatchbacks...

Last edited by pcfoo; 04-17-2017 at 12:31 PM.
pcfoo is offline   Reply With Quote