GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKVI owners: is MKVII your next ride or something else?

chilipepper

Ready to race!
You're only going to have 25,000 miles in 7 years?

I am guessing between 25-30k. I work out of my house so I don't drive much. I've had it for 18 months and it is at 6600 miles, which is actually high for me because I took a lot of road trips visiting colleges with my daughter last summer. I usually put on about 2500-3000 per year.

CMGTI

Ready to race!
Im actually thinking of trading in my 4 door for a 2 door. I only owe $8800 on the car, had it for three months. Thinking I may get 12K-13K for it (demodding it of course). Need stock springs and stock tails. I thought i needed the extra room, but I dont haha.

j_rad91

Ready to race!
I'm really bad at keeping cars past two years lol. My 13 GTI just hit its first year of ownership. If i K04 it she'll stay longer. I'd really love to get an S3 or S4 but wife says too much money ): having a baby on the way makes me want a sporty SUV. Still want to drive a golf r but haven't yet. It just sucks GTI's don't hold their value.

Halfbreed

Passed Driver's Ed
Next car will be a MK7 R or an S3 if they offer a manual eventually. I had a stage 3 B5 S4 and adored the car and platform. The miles and maintenance pushed me into the GTI.

There really is no other cars that appeal to me for a all around great daily driver.

Joel_MK6

Passed Driver's Ed
This MKVI is both my first vw and german car. Sticking with German engineering but this will be my last vw. Thinking about buying a used S3 in a couple years as my next car.

Pmanpop

Go Kart Champion
I don't see any car under 40k as a big change. I've driven most potential contenders and to have a car payment wouldn't outweigh the fun. My gti is just so well put together. Once I finish school I'll try to jump into a m235.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Ill be keeping this for another 2-3 years hopefully unless some amazing deal throws itself in my face. However the next car i buy will be either AWD or RWD.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I am guessing between 25-30k. I work out of my house so I don't drive much. I've had it for 18 months and it is at 6600 miles, which is actually high for me because I took a lot of road trips visiting colleges with my daughter last summer. I usually put on about 2500-3000 per year.

This. With my new job, literately down the street from my home, i may drive around 25 miles a week total. So the next 2 years will only increase my mileage by a maximum of 3-5k miles without any road trips etc. So realistically ill say i will add around 10k miles over the next 2 years.

Not sure why you all needed to know this just felt like chiming in.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
I just traded in my GTI on Saturday after 87,000 miles (3.5 years of driving). I really loved my GTI, but I think it's my last VW. It went in on Monday of last week to have the intake manifold replaced under the extended warranty. While it was in there, they said it also needed a valve cover gasket, a new rear main seal, two wheel bearings, and a rear tie rod. Basically about $4k worth of work at just 87,000 miles. That's in addition to a few other things I know it needs. Fuck that shit. I was really hoping this car would be more reliable.

I replaced it with a 2014 C300 4Matic with the sport package. It's pretty loaded except Xenons. The 250 hp C300 has the same 3.5L motor as the 300hp C350, with the only difference being tuning. There is an after market hand held ODB II flasher that gives you 330 hp for about $950. That's 80 hp over stock! I'll be doing this as soon as I sell all of my GTI parts that I took off. Unlike the dreaded TD1 code, you can return it back to stock in 80 seconds and it's 100% undetectable. So that's happening. :thumbup:

It has 12,000 miles on it, and I got it for $32,000 with a CPO warranty. It was $48,000 new just 6 months ago. Now that's some depreciation! I also bought two additional years of unlimited miles warranty for $2500. So this car has 6.5 years of UNLIMITED miles Mercedes Benz warranty on it. For a guy that drives 25,000 miles per year, this is amazing.:happyanim:

I think this is a better deal than a new Autobahn GTI that's more expensive, and only has a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty that I'd eat up in less than 2 years.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
You think you're going to get better reliability and less expensive repairs with the MB?

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
You think you're going to get better reliability and less expensive repairs with the MB?

Did you not read 6.5 years of UNLIMITED miles warranty? :iono:

Zero deductible. As in zero expense repairs. Not an aftermarket warranty. It's a Mercedes warranty. 6.5 years.

So yes, I will have less expensive repairs. We will see about reliability, but I have no risk.

Last edited:

cobie56

Ready to race!
This. With my new job, literately down the street from my home, i may drive around 25 miles a week total. So the next 2 years will only increase my mileage by a maximum of 3-5k miles without any road trips etc. So realistically ill say i will add around 10k miles over the next 2 years.

Not sure why you all needed to know this just felt like chiming in.

ditto for me... i live only a mile from my job and usually walk or bike to work... I think last year i put on 6K miles on the car, the most in a few years... Long gone are the times i put on 30-40K a year on my car...
wonder how many others here are in a similar situation?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
So Thumper - been on quite a car buying spree of late eh? 3 (very nice) 2015 cars...impressive.

Nah, I'm done wasting money on buying cars, every 3 years I want a new one so I lease now LOL

But yeah, was in the market for one new car and fell backasswards into getting the S4 on an even swap out of a '14 Q5 TDI. Then finally made the choice on the new car we were originally shopping for (wagon, ended up with the BMW Touring). And then started thinking about swapping the GTI next year.....and fell backasswards into an amazing deal on the S3 and trade on the heavily modified GTI.

Trust me, I am getting a LOT of crap at work LOL

We got the S4 in Nov, the BMW in Jan, and the S3 last month.......rolling up in a new high end German car every month or so, got me some ribbing. :lol:

Winoman

Ready to race!
.......rolling up in a new high end German car every month or so, got me some ribbing. :lol:

I'll bet.

Like everyone I always enjoy driving the "new" car (for me that's the 2012 GTI...lol....I tend to keep my cars for a long time...need to pick them right...from the start...). You probably have a tough time figuring what (new car) to drive any given day...

I'm curious as to your thoughts between the S4 and the S3. I tend to prefer smaller cars myself. My S4 (01 Avant) is about as big a car as I'd ever really want...and it definitely drives smaller than the new ones...(still is a big heavy beast compared to the GTI....but not too bad...still way fun)

Cole Trickle

Ready to race!
Ford Focus RS is coming to the states in 2016...

It's even made in Germany...

And will be cheaper than a Golf R..

/blasphemy