GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs MINI S?

Davisflyer

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't get all the hating on Mini's on here. We are all on here because we either own or are interested in GTI's. All this talk about Mini's being slow and beat by GTI's when their stock performance is very similar, I haven't found a GTI that can beat my car yet. In fact there is a video on youtube of a MK6 GTI running stage III from 40-120 mph in about 13 seconds. I have a video of my car doing 30-110 (the same spread) also in 13 seconds, so we'd be tied. Again, not knocking the GTI AT ALL, I think it's a fantastic car! But so is the Mini, just for different reasons. Now, if my tuner, RMW, ever gets around to introducing the Eaton TVS 900 kit, that along with a BVH should net me around 300+ WHP. That would be a serious contender!

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
Not to discredit you, but I do work at a shipping terminal where we have CAT certified scales, I have placed my car on it. Do i need to go put it back on there and screenshot the weight for you? (GRanted I have lighter wheels, removed a few parts, removed the CAT and all the resonators - all of which I am sure help lighten the car minimally but still some. I think 2680LBS is the curb weight with fluids but what do i know. I was just under 2800lbs with me in the car as well. As I am 135-140lbs.

The stage 3 comes from when I owned a mk5 gti, i am not saying my R56S ever pulled a stage 3 GTi so lets keep that part straight.

Weird I raced a black mk6 GTi 6 spd when i lived in ut and i had a good car on him at 80 from a low 30 roll.

Just my experience. Every car is different and runs different so I am not to say my car was running great and his was running shit or mine was a strong stock one than his. You are putting to many factors into that. I think stock vs stock is very comparable.

NAM is probably the worst forum in the world as well.

I made stock like i said above 159WHP/172WTQ in UT.
I made stock in CA 165whp/188wtq.

Those are my numbers.

Tuned I made 225WHP/250WTQ on the same dyno I made 165WHP/188WTQ. No Unicorn magic, just the best and strongest tune offered for the R56S by the number one tuner of minis. (As you may know Alta stole Jans tunes for the AP).

I have nothing against MK6s so I dont know why anyone seems to think so. A few of my friends have MK6s and I love them. I have nothing bad to say about my GTi, or any other Mk5/6. I have actually been looking at getting another GTi (MK6) since I am about over the MINI and closing in on 100K miles.

Ya man I'm not trying to slam you about the MINI, like I said, I owned 2, had a Dark Silver R56 S just like you, mind you 08, and I still love them, just giving my 2 cents I guess.... And yes NAM is horrible, its full of old farts that think the back firing on decel from the older R53 S in euro tune is bad.... :rolleyes:

If you want the MK6, I can def say its a good move from the MINI, I haven't looked back... Interior is all the reason you need to make the change really...

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
I don't get all the hating on Mini's on here. We are all on here because we either own or are interested in GTI's. All this talk about Mini's being slow and beat by GTI's when their stock performance is very similar, I haven't found a GTI that can beat my car yet. In fact there is a video on youtube of a MK6 GTI running stage III from 40-120 mph in about 13 seconds. I have a video of my car doing 30-110 (the same spread) also in 13 seconds, so we'd be tied. Again, not knocking the GTI AT ALL, I think it's a fantastic car! But so is the Mini, just for different reasons. Now, if my tuner, RMW, ever gets around to introducing the Eaton TVS 900 kit, that along with a BVH should net me around 300+ WHP. That would be a serious contender!

^ This didnt happen. Link? You realize what kind of power a Stage 3 GTI puts down?! lol

Dybz

Banned

i think you might want to watch the videos again. the GTI start at 0:01 from 30 mph and hit 120 mph at 0:14, or 13 seconds. your car started at 0:03 from 30 mph and hit 110 mph at 0:16, or 13 seconds. so the GTI had an extra 10 mph in the same time frame. sounds about similar to what a stage 3 vs a stage 2 GTI video would look like to me.

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
i think you might want to watch the videos again. the GTI start at 0:01 from 30 mph and hit 120 mph at 0:14, or 13 seconds. your car started at 0:03 from 30 mph and hit 110 mph at 0:16, or 13 seconds. so the GTI had an extra 10 mph in the same time frame. sounds about similar to what a stage 3 vs a stage 2 GTI video would look like to me.

thats pretty close to what he said haha....the only significant thing that has changed is that that thats the old version of the stage 3 tune...the updated version puts out about 30whp more

mini's are nice, fun cars, but i personally am not a big fan of the styling

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
Last edited:

Dybz

Banned
thats pretty close to what he said haha....the only significant thing that has changed is that that thats the old version of the stage 3 tune...the updated version puts out about 30whp more

mini's are nice, fun cars, but i personally am not a big fan of the styling

i'ld say it's a bit different. he's saying "stage 2 can keep up with a k04 from 30-120." well the k04 is going 10 mph faster than the stage 2 by the time it hits 120... yeah it'll be pulling quite hard.

Davisflyer

Passed Driver's Ed

Okay, I'll give you that. Admittedly I didn't time it myself, but rather got that time that I posted from a comment to the video from someone else below. Still, I expected much better acceleration from a stage III given it's supposed output. I'm not that much slower....

Dybz

Banned
Okay, I'll give you that. Admittedly I didn't time it myself, but rather got that time that I posted from a comment to the video from someone else below. Still, I expected much better acceleration from a stage III given it's supposed output. I'm not that much slower....

yeah it depends on your definition of stage 3. the basic APR stage 3 with the gt28 is pretty much a k04. other people call gt30's stage 3... those will obviously be quite a bit quicker.

jaycheetwood

Go Kart Champion
we are on a mk6 forum, i dont expect them to know or understand minis.

doesnt bother me.

There are serious minis out there. ABF made 750WHP with theirs and ran 10.3 with it.

RMW's R53 made 420WHP on an S/C and holds a lap record at ButtonWillow.

Quite a few notable things with them. But i am not here to preach to VW kids the feats of another car.

I just enjoy both cars and i consider them very comparable.

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
The way all these people are talking bad about mini's without doing any research is reminding me a lot of NAM.

Im not hating on MINIs what so ever, I'm just challenging the viewpoints and opinions of some of the "MINI owners" on here since I OWNED 2 MINI brand new previously.... I know the cars... quite well. They are great yes, I'm just trying to help keep their "greatness" in line a little... thats all :thumbsup:

gogtigo1

Ready to race!
Just got rid of my MCS for the GTI. 50k miles on an 07 model and nothing but problems, more problems, and then some. No regrets so far...

Sent from my iPad3 via Tapatalk