GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Fuel Requirements

tfcGTI

Ready to race!
Thanks for all the great comments. Nothing but the best fuel will do which leads to a follow-up question. What is a top tier fuel?

wholesome

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm putting in 89oct on my new GTi and consuming about 17.9mpg.

Is it me or does this car really eats that much gas? I honestly don't push my car at all, reving only to about 3k and leaving it on 6th gear when im up to speed, still.... "breaking the car in".

thekinger

Passed Driver's Ed
i know i'm not driving a mk6 gti yet, but the manual on my jetta gt said it should have premium. i very rarely, if ever put even plus in the car and i have almost 200k on the motor. the valves and rings and pistons seem to be in perfect shape. there is absolutely no oil being burned and plenty of pull left in the motor. i never really pushed the motor, 'cause i've always tried to get every mile i could out of a motor and i used to get low to mid-thirties in mph with just 87. just my $0.02 :)

kgbzz1

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm putting in 89oct on my new GTi and consuming about 17.9mpg.

Is it me or does this car really eats that much gas? I honestly don't push my car at all, reving only to about 3k and leaving it on 6th gear when im up to speed, still.... "breaking the car in".

I'm breaking in a MK6 (approx. 1200 miles in 6 weeks). I'm getting around 30 mpg.

I use 93 octane. I think your mileage will be lower with 87, but not the numbers that you mentioned.Might try measuring your mileage the old school way, as a comparison, if you're relying on the computer that is.

Giblets

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow!

On low grade fuel it looks like the mpg really suffers.

In Britain our 'regular' fuel is 95 Octane with 'Premium' being either 97 or 99 Octane.

The fuel flap on my car tells me to use at least 95 octane, however I treat her to the premium stuff when it's a good price.

I have averaged about 35mpg since new on mixed driving with regular trips to the rev limiter.

Motoring hacks over here say that the car performs best on BP Super-Unleaded (premium) but I really haven't noticed much difference to be honest.

If the above isn't a glowing endorsement for using premium (in North America at least), then I don't know what is.

plat

Ready to race!
MK5 (FSI) and MK6 (TSI) Fuel Requirement

I know this is an old and worn out discussion :) but I want to resurrect this thread because I have not read a related thread that really concludes this issue based on a technical fact (i.e. word from the VW factory). Maybe it was mentioned in other VW forums but not here (I could not find it).

Anyway, here are two reference technical manuals for the FSI and TSI engines. On page 2 of the FSI engine manual, it says under Fuel Requirements:

"Premium Plus unleaded, Premium unleaded, and Regular unleaded with slight reduction in power"

On Page 2 of the TSI engine manual, it says "95/91 RON". This translates to 91/87 Octane AKI (as sold in our North American pumps).

So, regular grade fuel (87 AKI) will not screw up your engine. You will lose some engine power and it will lose some efficiency but it should be OK. There is nothing in any VW publication that says premium fuel is a "requirement". It just says "recommended".

For those who accidentally pump in 87 Octane, don't think that your engine will get screwed up. It will survive. Just ease up on your lead foot until you can refill with your preferred higher grade fuel.

My local dealer says that a lot of his customers pump in 87 octane AKI in their TSI engines with no issues. He did mention that I may want to pump in 91 octane if I plan to go on long trips that involves sustained high-speed driving. When using 87 Octane, I was told to drive sedately (no lead foot driving). He says that 87 Octane is OK for in-city home-office-home kind of trips.

Just thought I'd share this tid bit of knowledge to those who think that 87 Octane fuel will ruin their engine. I guess you can ruin your engine with 87 Octane fuel if you flog it regularly as if you had 91 Octane AKI in it.:laugh:

krische

vdubber in training
I don't think anyone thought that it would ruin your engine. With the advanced sensors and ECUs today, it can handle it.

I guess I just have the thinking of why spend the extra money for a performance oriented vehicle, and then cheap out for the lower grade fuel. I mean if someone is that worried about the extra dollar or two per fill up, why not just buy a regular golf?

tfcGTI

Ready to race!
I don't think anyone thought that it would ruin your engine. With the advanced sensors and ECUs today, it can handle it.

I guess I just have the thinking of why spend the extra money for a performance oriented vehicle, and then cheap out for the lower grade fuel. I mean if someone is that worried about the extra dollar or two per fill up, why not just buy a regular golf?

Exactly how I feel about it.

Danny Boy1

Ready to race!
it cost me like $2-$3 more per tank to fill up with 91 than with 87 like my old rabbit. i bought a GTI for the performance so im not afraid to spend the couple bucks at the pump.

plat

Ready to race!

Nowadays, you won't know when you need that extra $3.50 or $4 savings that you realize at the pump every fill up. Not everyone who buys the GTI just go purely for the performance aspect of it. Some, like me, also consider the practical aspect. If, for some reason, I suddenlly find myself in a situation that calls for down-scaling my lifestyle for a while, I know that GTI of mine can throw in a few more $$ in the pot. Now I may be wrong when I quoted the realized savings of around $3.50 to $4 at the pump. If you do the math based on the cost difference of regular vs premium fuel and the published mileage figures, then you get that $3.50 to $4.00 at the pump. I did read about people who used regular fuel notice a drop in mileage. But, I have not read a thread that specifies a quantifiable figure. Or, I may have read it but I do not remember it any longer. So, I will be experimenting on it after I break-in my GTI. I need to prove to myself whether the bottom line savings is worth it or not.

I am attracted to the GTI more than the 2.5L Golf because of the engineering that went into it. I am a technical person so I appreciate the inner workings of the GTI. I am also a car enthusiast who wants my next vehicle to be a keeper so the GTI fits the bill. I know the Golf 2.5L won't keep me happy for long. I have long wanted a 97 or 98 Supra or a late 80's or early 90's Porsche 911 but I could not have them because they are not practical vehicles. There are other things in life that dictate a vehicle purchase such as hobbies or a sweet wife. The GTI offers the best of both worlds: Performance and Practicality, all in one package. I consider the GTI my Supra and Corolla at the same time. Like I always say, "I can have cake and eat it too!"

Yes, I agree. From a purely performance aspect, there is no reason why you'll want to even bother with regular-grade fuel. But, for some folks, it is just one side of the coin :).

Last edited:

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
plat's comment:

My local dealer says that a lot of his customers pump in 87 octane AKI in their TSI engines with no issues. He did mention that I may want to pump in 91 octane if I plan to go on long trips that involves sustained high-speed driving. When using 87 Octane, I was told to drive sedately (no lead foot driving). He says that 87 Octane is OK for in-city home-office-home kind of trips.

Just thought I'd share this tid bit of knowledge to those who think that 87 Octane fuel will ruin their engine. I guess you can ruin your engine with 87 Octane fuel if you flog it regularly as if you had 91 Octane AKI in it.

I know the sales manager and he is a car guy, restorations for 30 or 40 years, and his "number 1 vw sales fanatic", who attends all of the training and has owned vw gti's since they came out and some of the other models told me the same thing. they both said that premium is not a requirement, the car will run great with no ill effects from regular; however based on histheir experience and the classes which this issue was discussed with VW his/their recommendation is that if you are just a normal driver, "like i am" not him, me, then don't worry about using regular. there has not been any documented issues from those that use regular. my days of drag racing on the streets and track ended back '65. I like the GTI for its handling, styling, creature comforts, short turning radius, fantastic audio alternatives and coolness factor. But since i am 2 - 3 times older than most of you, you will most likely see me driving pretty close to the speed limit, but looking really cool, in a really clean shiny GTI. :) :cool:

I realize that i am not speaking to the Flashed dudes, because if you are tweaking for performance then you should be running high octane. The last car that I had that i always put Sunoco 260 and or additive boosts in was my '65 vett, 327, 365 hp, crane cam, hooker headers, holley carburetor, solid lifters 456 gears, and Hurst linkage, and it ran like a scalded ape, i have no idea what my mpg's were, it didn't concern me. :D

Last edited:

Bender1

Banned
Don't buy a GTI if you plan on using 87. Period.

1) because your mpg drops, its cheaper PER MILE to run with 93 (if available - 91 if now)
2) You are neutering your performance
3) You can afford a 25-30k car but not an extra couple bucks a tank for gas? Bullshit

Freakinsweet

Passed Driver's Ed
When I first got my GTI i always filled it up with 95 octane (~91 oct in the US). I recently decided to only use Shell V-Power 99 octane (~93-94 oct in the US) and have since driven aproximately 5000km (~3106 miles).

I do notice a slight improvement in consumption, the car feels more responsive and quicker but that may just be me expecting the impossible :)
Most noticable was that the grime that always covered the tailpipes are now gone so V-Power probably burns cleaner.