GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which engine oil???

dstill

Ready to race!
Hi, i need to top my oil up and wondered which one is the recommended type. I've done a bit research on this and come up with the following:

Castrol Long Life III Fully synthetic 5w/30 50700

Is this the correct one, does anyone have a picture of the bottle which is the correct type? The dealer is quoting silly money for a 1 litre bottle so i am inclined to purchase elsewhere.:mad0259:

Thanks in advance.:thumbup:

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
Hi, i need to top my oil up and wondered which one is the recommended type. I've done a bit research on this and come up with the following:

Castrol Long Life III Fully synthetic 5w/30 50700

Is this the correct one, does anyone have a picture of the bottle which is the correct type? The dealer is quoting silly money for a 1 litre bottle so i am inclined to purchase elsewhere.:mad0259:

Thanks in advance.:thumbup:

Im interested also since I dont get the 3 year maintenance..

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
Honestly, I would research oil a little more, and go with either Motul, Redline, or Pentosin. You can order them from http://www.ecstuning.com/ .

MonthOLDpickle

Ready to race!
Is Mobil One 0w40 full syn approved for GTI's?

Is Mobil One 0w40 full syn approved for GTI's?

M1 is on VAG's 502.00 approved list for the GTI. If you go scrounge around on VW's website, they have the latest, greatest approval list up there somewhere. Personally, I have always run Amsoil in my rides but since it is NOT VAG 502.00 approved, that is a 'use at your own risk' proposition. I'm going to chip my car anyway and Amsoil certainly meets or exceeds all requirements.

If you really want to dive headfirst into the full discussion, I'd highly recommend Bob is The Oil Guy forums. You'll get 10,000 opinions there on what's the best and why. But if you want to keep your GTI's warranty intact and you plan on changing your own oil outside of the VW free maintainance period, I'd stick to a 502.00 approved oil and be prepared to prove you're following the owner's manual requirements.

MikeW

Ready to race!
Is it just that it's 502.00 approved, or does it want any particular viscosity? is either xW-30 or xW-40 acceptable.

Personally, I'd use either the M1 0W-40, or the German Castrol 0W-30.

BuchWash

Passed Driver's Ed
Somewhere in the Encyclopedia Volkswaga (otherwise known as the manual) I found the oil spec: 5w40 synthetic. I'm using Castrol Syntec.

Big Si

£12 not bad for a litre i'd say, believe it or not. I used to own BMW MINI's and they have always been sponsored by Castrol so I have always used Castrol SLX from the dealer to top up. In 2003 a litre of that stuff used to cost approx £9 from BMW, which steadily crept up to circa £12 back in 2007! I think a litre of the equivelent Castrol Edge 0w 30 or 5w 30 costs £12 from Halfords or the like, but lust think, it may be more expensive than the mineral or semi-synth alternatives, but it is (supposedly) better for your engine, and drain intervals are extended so in theory you shouldn't need to buy as much oil!

Out of interest, how many miles have you done in your 140 SE TDI? I've done 11k in my GT 140 TDI and it hasn't used a drop, perhaps I need to drive it harder, although all engines vary to a certain degree!!

dstill

Ready to race!
£12 not bad for a litre i'd say, believe it or not. I used to own BMW MINI's and they have always been sponsored by Castrol so I have always used Castrol SLX from the dealer to top up. In 2003 a litre of that stuff used to cost approx £9 from BMW, which steadily crept up to circa £12 back in 2007! I think a litre of the equivelent Castrol Edge 0w 30 or 5w 30 costs £12 from Halfords or the like, but lust think, it may be more expensive than the mineral or semi-synth alternatives, but it is (supposedly) better for your engine, and drain intervals are extended so in theory you shouldn't need to buy as much oil!

Out of interest, how many miles have you done in your 140 SE TDI? I've done 11k in my GT 140 TDI and it hasn't used a drop, perhaps I need to drive it harder, although all engines vary to a certain degree!!

Hi Big Si, i've done around 5500 miles. To be honest i dont drive it hard, i've also got a MK 2 TT which i've had from new and it used a litre or so in roughly the same period so i just put this down to the engines bedding in.:thumbsup:

Big Si

Hi, yea engines usually use a drop during the running in period. Mine is an ex dealer car and I took ownership at 5900 miles and the oil was at max. on the dipstick, so it either hadn't used any or they topped it up before I picked the car up! MK2 TT as well, lucky you!!