GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Amp power wire and engine fuse box?

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
I'm gonna be using a rockford fosgate pbr300x1 - http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?item_id=120464

It's a pretty tiny amp, and I imagine wouldn't even come close to overloading the bus bar, I just wouldn't know which open slot to wire it up to.

And yeah, I mean running it directly to the battery will obviously not have any problems, but I'm always open to cleaner, more elegant solutions.

little off topic, but that is an awesome little amp. I finally got a chance to mess with one, and i was seriously impressed with it.
Also if that is the only amp you are going to do, you can run it to the busbar. Like the other post above mine did. No issues at all with that.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
but it's essentially the same as hooking it up directly to the battery, right? or is it adding more of a load?

It's not adding load to the battery, but it is adding load to that portion of the bus bar. That bolt on the bus bar doesn't have an amp rating (at least not on my car), so you don't know what it's rated for. Why not spend $.50 on the nut to put it in the right spot? That's why I did it the way I did (and it's cleaner), but it's you car, so do what ever you want.

ch0sen0ne7

Passed Driver's Ed
It's not adding load to the battery, but it is adding load to that portion of the bus bar. That bolt on the bus bar doesn't have an amp rating (at least not on my car), so you don't know what it's rated for. Why not spend $.50 on the nut to put it in the right spot? That's why I did it the way I did (and it's cleaner), but it's you car, so do what ever you want.

makes sense...thanks :thumbsup:

techbiker

Passed Driver's Ed

That portion of the bus bar is connected directly to the positive terminal on the battery, so I think that's why it doesn't have a load rating shown if that makes any sense. Given that extra bit of information, do you see any reason there would be a problem doubling up on that post?

I have it there because the spade connection on my power cable is too large to fit in any of the smaller receptacles. It's a 4awg power kit, which is overkill for just running one RF P500-2, but it's what I had laying around from a previous install. It could fit on Post G as well, but there's no load rating there either.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
That portion of the bus bar is connected directly to the positive terminal on the battery, so I think that's why it doesn't have a load rating shown if that makes any sense. Given that extra bit of information, do you see any reason there would be a problem doubling up on that post?

I have it there because the spade connection on my power cable is too large to fit in any of the smaller receptacles. It's a 4awg power kit, which is overkill for just running one RF P500-2, but it's what I had laying around from a previous install. It could fit on Post G as well, but there's no load rating there either.

I'm sure it's fine... seriously. The main benefit to how I did it is that it's cleaner, but that's not an option if your cable doesn't fit. I can't see anything wrong with the way you are doing it.

stuartb

My fuse box already has the 40A slot filled. Does anyone know what it may be used for? I don't have an underseat amp nor xenons or heated seats.

The only slot that is left is next to the main large feed. See pic. Does anyone know if using this for feeding a couple of amps is OK or would I be risking blowing the main fuse in the event of a problem (I'm not sure if its on a separate fuse).

Thanks
Stuart

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
Just attach it where the main battery wire comes into it. Make sure you fuse it correctly under the hood though.

stuartb

OK - thanks. Big red wire on the right is feed from the battery. So I'll use spare terminal and just add a fuse block. I was hoping to use a spare fuse slot in the box to keep it as neat as possible, but this will be safer I guess.

Stuart

whatthefunk1

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was hoping someone here could help me out. I planned to attach my 4 gauge power wire directly to the bolt on the battery (+) clamp, but the nut doesn't seem to come all the way off so I'm not sure how I can get connect my ring terminal to it. What should I do?

edit / update: I decided to use a spade terminal instead of the ring terminal and it seems to work good enough.

Last edited: