GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Waxing (by machine)

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
So I was detailing my car on Sunday and doing the last step, waxing, with a black CG Hex pad & CG Extreme Depth liquid wax.

Started spreading it with the Porter Cable and it wasn't distributing it evenly or at all.
So more wax on the pad, spread it around and then try to work it on.

Next thing you know....I'm going thru A LOT very quickly and the pad isn't spreading it right/at all. Make a pass and it would go dry by the end.

So eventually I've had enough and just finish it by hand instead.

When I'm done, I go to clean the pads and there was all the wax just soaked into the pad. What the hell?
Globs & globs of it just coming out

I called CG and the guy told me I should've used an orange pad to apply wax instead?
HUH? :iono:

So was it the CG pad, the CG wax, or what?
I don't get why the pad was just soaking it up instead of spreading it onto the paint.

Other work done before....
The car was washed with CG Citrus Wash
Clay bar'd
Polished with Sonax Perfect Finish & an orange pad
CG JetSeal applied by machine with a red pad
Then applied the wax about an hour after the JetSeal was put on

spagett!

Go Kart Champion
I've never used Chem Guy's waxes or pads, but if their pads are color coordinated like others, then wouldn't orange be a cutting pad? Weird.

What speed was your DA set at?

motoo344

I've applied jetseal with a DA and I found it easier to do it that way. By hand that stuff goes on thick and is a pain to remove. I also use a finishing microfiber pad. As mentioned, what speed? You should have it dialed down to like 2 or 3. Also, how much pressure? When spreading wax it should be light pressure.

jjohns1508

Ready to race!
Yeah, orange is a heavy cutting pad. I use blue or white

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I use cg red hex pads for wax. Did you prime the pad?I usually rinse the pads with water and then wring them out lightly.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I've never used Chem Guy's waxes or pads, but if their pads are color coordinated like others, then wouldn't orange be a cutting pad? Weird.

What speed was your DA set at?

I had it at ~2-3...can't remember. I tried both though, and was getting the same results (nothing spreading)

I was using a BLACK pad with the wax

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I've applied jetseal with a DA and I found it easier to do it that way. By hand that stuff goes on thick and is a pain to remove. I also use a finishing microfiber pad. As mentioned, what speed? You should have it dialed down to like 2 or 3. Also, how much pressure? When spreading wax it should be light pressure.

Not gonna lie....the red pad soaked up the JetSeal rapidly too. BUT not as bad as the wax

But yeah, I was at 2-3 and light/no pressure and it wasn't spreading it. Just soaked it up

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I use cg red hex pads for wax. Did you prime the pad?I usually rinse the pads with water and then wring them out lightly.

CG's red & black pads are listed/meant for both waxes or sealants....so I didn't really think it mattered since they're almost interchangeable

Yeah the pad was definitely primed in no time at all since it was soaked with the wax :laugh:

spagett!

Go Kart Champion
Dan as much as I'd love to think our little community here could solve this, you should definitely get this up on autogeek if you haven't already.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I noticed the same thing with their carnuba creme wax + red/black pads.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
I didn't have much luck with my Chemical Guys pads. I'm switching for the next detail which will be my wife's car.