I was sick of the OEM plastic Crap knob and vinyl shift boot

Includes:
One GS2 shift knob
One BFI crest logo coin
One DSG / S-Tronic / Tiptronic / Automatic shift adapter
Four set screws
Allen key for set screws

Install:
This does take a patient hand. The removal of my shift knob was not the easiest. Mine was the pull up style and it gave one hell of a fight. Once off the install of the Boot was straight forward. See pics. BFI has invented a dual barrel mechanism that replaces the button on the front of the DSG knob. Installing this will take several adjustments to find the sweet spot. It will need to slide up and back down without resistance. There are four hex screws that, once in the right location, will work perfect. As you can see in the one pic, the first couple tries the shifter would not sit flush with the collar of the DSG. Got that fixed. Once installed you just lift up to disengage the shifter and select the mode.

Driving:
I love this! You touch two things in a car while driving, the steering wheel and shifter. When you upgrade the shifter it takes the tactile driving experience to a higher level. I would never use the oem shifter to up/down shift because it felt like crap. This totally changes that, and it really is R8 quality.

http://www.blackforestindustries.com

Last edited:

DELETE

Autocross Champion
I also love the knob but mine recently started to shift and now the screws are loose, I never used loc-tite though so I’m going to have to try that next. Other wise the knob is very very cool. Just my 2 pennies.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I used the loc-tite on mine and hope that will prevent it. I will update as I use mine.

Trytun

Go Kart Champion
Careful with that knob. Over the course of daily driving for awhile, the screw inside sheared off the top of the plastic loop.

Here, the broken off piece of plastic is barely visible inside the knob.

It cost me quite a lot to get the entire shift assembly replaced and the center console removed. BFI never even responded to me.

I loved that knob but the cost was extreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
The boot looks good. It looks like all you get is a piece of cloth, so was it a pain to get it installed into the base? I have a manual though, so I'm not sure what the difference would be.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Thanks, and I will take it apart after a few weeks to check for stress.

How long had you used it before it broke? Was the actuation smooth?

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
The boot is not a bad install. You get the flat zip tie, and adhesive with the boot. There is a ring that the boot attaches too as seen in the pics above. Once lined up and smoothed out it is just a matter of reinstalling the ring. It is actually a couple mm thicker than the oem vinyl. They also have Leather shift boots, not just Alcantara

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Careful with that knob. Over the course of daily driving for awhile, the screw inside sheared off the top of the plastic loop.

Here, the broken off piece of plastic is barely visible inside the knob.

It cost me quite a lot to get the entire shift assembly replaced and the center console removed. BFI never even responded to me.

I loved that knob but the cost was extreme.

I noticed once mine became loose the first time that after I went in and took it apart to analyze what happened that the screw did wear away at the plastic stem. I wonder now, how long will this stay intact. Damn.

Trytun

Go Kart Champion
Thanks, and I will take it apart after a few weeks to check for stress.

How long had you used it before it broke? Was the actuation smooth?

The actuation was smooth for about 4-5 months. Then the knob was always coming loose. I’d tighten it and it’d feel better but it’d be loose again in a few days. Then one day I got to work, put my car in reverse and the whole knob came apart in my hand. I had to change gears with a set of pliers for a month while I saved for a new shift assembly and the labor to get it in. Just keep an eye on it - that’s all I can say. It looks sexy and it’s nice, I just wish it worked without the drawbacks.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Well, I drive the heck out of mine (couple 100 miles a week) so I will check and see if it starts to wear the plastic eyelet. I might just put a dab of lithium grease on it to prevent the friction and wear on the plastic.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Mine didn’t bottom out on the top, the screw threaded into the center of the loop. I hope it doesn’t rip up and break but I have to check it out again and put loc tite, hopefully it stays and doesn’t break. I’m just super gentle with it now.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
I have a 100+ miles on mine and I removed the knob today and the screw on mine is dead center and does not move at all. I decided against adding any grease, because I dont think I want it to move. As long as it stays centered it should not stress the loop.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
I have a 100+ miles on mine and I removed the knob today and the screw on mine is dead center and does not move at all. I decided against adding any grease, because I dont think I want it to move. As long as it stays centered it should not stress the loop.

I can see it adding stress if the retaining screws become loose like mine have twice which in turn allows you to pull up on the knob and shaft. Until I fix the screws again I pull up on the shaft where it meets the boot under the knob just in case which now that I think of it I’m still pulling up directly on the plastic shaft. No bueno.

Last edited:

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
I added this to the 2.0 engine thread, because it does involve the transmission. Letting you know so if you guys want to added your experiences over there you can.