GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help: Headlight switch not working after Boost Guage install

Boobslappy

Passed Driver's Ed
So I installed my 42DD boost tap and New South boost gauge without issue. However, i noticed today that my headlights are always on regardless of the headlight switch position. My gauge is lighting up and dimming just Fine and i triple checked my wire taps. No fuses are blown either. Also if I unplug the headlight switch it has no effect on the headlights. SO Im assuming if you break the headlight switch the car defaults to headlights on all the time? Did i break the headlight switch removing it? I cant imagine i caused a short as I used the wire taps correctly.

Killswitch24

Ready to race!
True: If the headlight switch is unplugged or faulty the headlights will default to on. I would double check your taps, it sounds like most likely you may have broken a wire, possibly supplying your gauge but cutting the switch out.

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
True: If the headlight switch is unplugged or faulty the headlights will default to on. I would double check your taps, it sounds like most likely you may have broken a wire, possibly supplying your gauge but cutting the switch out.

I suspect this will be the correct answer. I am NOT a fan of wire taps and refuse to use them.

Boobslappy

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks and Yeah I usual don't like taps either but I was in a bit of a rush. I pulled them completely off and still no dice. I'm thinking one of the harness wires MAY be cut but they all appeared to be fine on inspection. The headlight switch is still getting juice to light up its back lights. Time to break out the soldering iron i guess

ThatJohnGuy

pppffftttt
Any nicks or bends or kinks in the wiring? Because of the small gauge of the wire, it may appear fine looking at the insulation, but be internally broken. I wouldn't get out the soldering iron just yet. See I have aircraft grade splices, I wish everyone could use those. They are no joke. I would try to put everything back to stock(wiring) and see if you can isolate it. If not, it is ohmmeter time...

Boobslappy

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I managed to ruin my headlight switch somehow. Apparently I lifted part of a trace off the PCB so the switch couldn't turn off the headlights. I followed the traces and determined what pin on the connector was being pulled down to ground and voila! once I shorted the corresponding pins on the wiring harness the lights turned off. Ill try to get some pics up tomorrow.

Ok so be GENTLY with this switch....still not sure how i mangled it but you can see just below the pins the lifted trace...

Last edited: