GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Panel filter drop in replacements? Pro 5 or K&N?

CiDirkona

Go Kart Champion
Has anyone done a drop-in filter replacement on a Golf R, and if so, what were the results?

(I did a search, but couldn't find any results. If you have knowledge of any pre-existing reports, feel free to point me in the right direction. Thanks! :thumbsup:)

turboteig

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone done a drop-in filter replacement on a Golf R, and if so, what were the results?

(I did a search, but couldn't find any results. If you have knowledge of any pre-existing reports, feel free to point me in the right direction. Thanks! :thumbsup:)

I put a K&N drop in filter in for now until I get an APR intake setup. Intake noise seems to be a little louder and slightly better throttle response. The only reason I bought it is because I own a NAPA store and was able to buy one for $31.00

jaydubz

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
correct me if I wrong, but did Bender or A_Bowers do a comparision between the intakes and the panel filters? I believe the Panel filter actually showed a drop in performance...

A_Bowers

Save your money. Grambles actually did the review.

The test we conducted was OEM vs VWR Filter vs CARBONIO.

OEM flows well enough. Pane filter is a wee bit better, but nothing compares to an aftermarket unit.

boosted27

Go Kart Champion
I put a K&N drop in filter in for now until I get an APR intake setup. Intake noise seems to be a little louder and slightly better throttle response. The only reason I bought it is because I own a NAPA store and was able to buy one for $31.00

You own a NAPA store? Thats pretty cool. All the stores here are corporate. I work for a division of NAPA.

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
Bowers- This a different intake set up compared to the OEM TSI intake. The panel filter upgrade shows gains everywhere, albeit not like an aftermarket unit. Its 50% of why the FSI Carbonio works as well as it does.

OP - Do not run K&N, it actually is worse than stock. It directs flow vertically only, the ITG/VWR & Pipercross filters work well.

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
Why half ass it? Go all the way and get a full intake.

CiDirkona

Go Kart Champion
Because it's half assed for fifth assed cost. I've done the whole stage 2+ Mkv deal and I don't want to start dropping cash into another car hand over fist - and as mentioned above, the panel filter upgrade is half of why the carbonio does so well.

I installed it tonight and am very happy with buttdyno results. Considering I don't drive to work on a numbers dyno, the buttdyno counts most.

:thumbup: :D