GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

heatshield tape/wrap?

r15maniac

Go Kart Champion
Has anyone used any of these products to wrap your dp's or other parts in the engine compartment? If so, what products did you use?

There seems to be a lot of info here: http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/category/automotive/5

I was thinking of wrapping my DP when I get and before install and was also thinking of wrapping the IC pipes.

Thanks.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
I would use a gold reflective tape on your IC end tanks and charge pipes.

As for the downpipe, it exits the engine compartment so quickly I don't think you would see much of a.difference of heat in there. Maybe a turbo blanket, but I personally wouldn't waste time wrapping it.

I had my downpipe on my STI wrapped, which is literally 6 inches from the intercooler and only noticed a few degrees difference in IAT's.

Wrapping my intake and end tanks in gold tape made the biggest difference especially in stop and go.

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
Had my intake wrapped with 2 layers of foam and heat reflective tape when i first got it but have removed it since. Gave a poor look to the engine bay and didnt notice much difference. There comes a point where eventually the heat will pass through the material and instead of cooling rapidly, it will take longer to dissipate.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
I have done the wrapping before, but ended up removing it as well; since the popular consensus is actually dissipating the heat instead of repel it. I believe isolating the MAF could get us some benefit as well like Modshack’s

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I honestly don't see the point of using this heatshield tape wrap. The air goes by so quick that I doubt it will make that much of a difference.

r15maniac

Go Kart Champion
thanks for the insight guys. appreciate it for sure. :cool:

NightMare1

Passed Driver's Ed
we are using the heatshield wrap on the downpipes and air intakes, i have personally done some logs and saw a significat loss of temperature through the vag com, so yes it makes sense to me. we are using the wrap which consists of fibers(exhaust wrap for the intake) and that is because of two reasons
1. its more effective
2. it looks better
so go and get one since they are not that expensive and may eliminate unwanted heat going into the engine