GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1+ intake/ecu/catback common?

Zoomer7

Ready to race!
Hey fellas, I finally got a nice whip.
Now I need to make the proper upgrades while holding on to the warranty.

My question is, I usually see people go a modest stage 1 (just ECU), or Stage 2 and up (full exhaust/downpipe).. what about just intake, cat-back, ecu?

I know I'll be tempted to drop in a downpipe, but I'll have to resist because I love the peace of mind of warranty (especially with the DSG tranny). Once the warranty is up, I'll slip on the downpipe :D

Obligatory picture of my now-stock CSG :thumbsup:

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
Going stage 1 vs stage 2 isn't going to matter to the dealers in terms of warranty work. The dealer can tell as soon as you flash the ECU. Certain dealers are mod friendly but many are not. If you take it to one that is not friendly they may deny a warranty claim on any drivetrain related issue.

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
where do you live?

mod friendly dealers in your area?

Zoomer7

Ready to race!
where do you live?

mod friendly dealers in your area?

I go to a dealer in Charlotte, NC, "Carolina VW". They are mod friendly... the lead tech has a GTI himself :thumbsup:

... but I don't want to push it, so I think doing intake/catback/ECU is as far as I can go. Thing is, I don't see that combo very much on GTIs :iono:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
It's very common.. and usually before a lot of guys go to stage 2 ;) I had an intake, CBE, and stage 1 before going for the dp and stage 2.

imho, no better bang for your buck than stage 1 tune and intake.

Zoomer7

Ready to race!
It's very common.. and usually before a lot of guys go to stage 2 ;) I had an intake, CBE, and stage 1 before going for the dp and stage 2.

imho, no better bang for your buck than stage 1 tune and intake.

Good to know :)
I'm vain, I need a shiny exhaust sticking out of the rear and a few more db's for louder farts.

It'll be hard knowing a simple ~20hp is being held back by a simple downpipe... but I'll be thankful if the DSG goes AWOL on me within the next 3yrs.

The_Koof1

Ready to race!
I had Stage 1+ for a week or so with a Magnaflow CBE before going full APR Stage 2 and I could not be any more happy with the upgrade. I am in love with the upgrade all around and couldn't go back. Stage one is a big jump in power I've factory but Stage 2 offers more responsiveness, a bit more top end and OMG the sound at full chat! The sound at full throttle shifting into third with DSG is intoxicating.

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
I had Stage 1+ for a week or so with a Magnaflow CBE before going full APR Stage 2 and I could not be any more happy with the upgrade. I am in love with the upgrade all around and couldn't go back. Stage one is a big jump in power I've factory but Stage 2 offers more responsiveness, a bit more top end and OMG the sound at full chat! The sound at full throttle shifting into third with DSG is intoxicating.

agree! :thumbsup:

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Doing a downpipe and stage 2 isn't going to make your DSG go AWOL or change anything with regards to you being covered for warranty or not