GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Violent stutter and stalling

KAW96

Passed Driver's Ed
Driving home today my car started to stutter on the freeway. Whenever I would give it the slightest amount of gas it would just sputter and you couldn't accelerate. So I pulled over turned the car off, back on, and drove on and it worked fine for a mile or so. Then it happened again in second gear and third gear, and it doesn't happen constantly; it's very random in the way it behaved. I barely got home after pulling over about 4 times. By the time I was home the car was basically undriveable because the stutter was so violent and it would die constantly. Then after it died, turned it back on and the RPM's shot to redline without touching the gas and held for a second or two and slowly came down. Has anyone experienced this? Or heard of anything like this?

ThatVWGuy

Ready to race!
I just had a severe stutter on my 2012 GLI last week. Was pretty bad at lower RPM (around 1500 to 2500 RPM) and even moderate gas in 2nd and 3rd gears. I didn't drive it too much but nursed the car for two days until I got it to the dealer. It was a blown coil pack (20,000 miles). Dealer replaced it under warranty.

Edit: I did not have any stalling, just the severe stuttering.

Last edited:

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
It's most likely the coilpacks energizing the spark plugs -- this will show up as random misfire codes in the ECU. Replace all four coils, when one goes the others aren't far behind.

KAW96

Passed Driver's Ed
No not blinking. It's solid, but I drove it just now and it died and when I turns it back on the check engine light was gone, but it still has the same problem. And it's not coil packs because I just swapped them out for some fresh ones and the problem is still there.

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
No not blinking. It's solid, but I drove it just now and it died and when I turns it back on the check engine light was gone, but it still has the same problem. And it's not coil packs because I just swapped them out for some fresh ones and the problem is still there.

Yeah coil packs for sure... Get a new set.

KAW96

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah coil packs for sure... Get a new set.

I don't think that's completely it. That may be an issue but the cars acting like there's a vacuum leak but there's definitely not.
Weird shit

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
I don't think that's completely it. That may be an issue but the cars acting like there's a vacuum leak but there's definitely not.
Weird shit

You still have a warranty, why don't you just take it to the dealer let him trouble shoot and fix it.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Everything you mentioned sounds like the coil that just recently went out in my car including the stalling. Covered under warranty with tow, in and out of dealer in 3 hours.

KAW96

Passed Driver's Ed
You still have a warranty, why don't you just take it to the dealer let him trouble shoot and fix it.

I am. My car got towed this morning to VW