GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mountain bike thread

andylaiphoto

Go Kart Champion
Nice. I noticed a huge difference in handling between my friend's bike which has Nevegals and my bike which had Bontys at the time. Glad you like it!

Thanks. It rained last night and was a slight drizzle this morning. Trails were still open so I hit it up. There were sections where the front started sliding but it was a controllable slide. Not like before where in an instance the bike was on it's side.

Very happy right now.

andylaiphoto

Go Kart Champion
I picked up a used Rockshox Recon Gold TK SL for $150 and put it on yesterday. Took it out for a ride today. I knew that I wouldn't last very long with the Suntour fork. I was carrying more speed in the corners because I could lean more without the front end losing it on me. Down the rough stuff it was much smoother and on the inclines it was much more planted. That and I save a pound or so from the stock fork.

Very happy right now.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
That sounds like a pretty sweet upgrade. Back in the day I made the switch from a rock shox Judy to a cannondale with a lefty. Holy balls it was such an upgrade. He'll even my current Fox F29 pales in comparison to that badass fork.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
So yesterday I completed my second century ride. It was for the American Cancer Society, and I had a great time. My company sponsors the ride and provides vans and trucks to bring people back to the start. Great! Nope!

My bike ended up not being secured very well in the rack, and fell over during the drive back. Now it has a 3" long x 1/2" wide rub mark on the top tube, down to the bare carbon fiber. I have no idea how deep it is, but the way the paint is rubbed off, I'm inclined to think it started to dig into the epoxy of the top tube. No individual fibers are exposed, but the surface does feel a little bit rough.

I'm thinking of two possibilities of how to repair this...

1) Take it to a custom airbrush place that does motorcycles, etc, and have them use an epoxy based paint. That way it might provide some strength, and an airbrush would blend it in perfectly assuming they get close with the color (its just black and white graphics).

2) Get some automotive touch up paint. Prep surface with 600 grit wet sand very lightly, then clean with windex. I just don't know how I'll make the sharp edge of the top tube graphics that way. Then a few coats of clear on top and wet sanding in between to smooth it out.

Any ideas? A new frame is $2k. I would feel terrible talking to my boss about this considering the ride was for charity and everyone was a volunteer helping out for a good cause. :(

DaButcher

Ready to race!
Go to the local bike shop where you bought it and see what they have to say.

In other news. Had a guy at my shop cut my steerer on my super six Evo down to the cone so I could be a little more down. Cut it so low that I couldn't have even ran the stem against the bearings. Luckily he had a connection within Cannondale and some how got on for free for me. You know what they say, measure once cut once warranty once

andylaiphoto

Go Kart Champion

Found a deal in the local classifieds. Person was selling 3 Kenda small block 8 tires. Two used lightly and the third used more. Got all three for $30. Asked the seller why they were getting rid of them and they said they ride too fast and can't get grip.

I put on the most worn one on the back and have ridden it twice since. They grip just fine and roll nice. Especially now that Dallas is getting hot and with the minimal rainfall, all the trails are super hard packed.

V-DBL-You

Passed Driver's Ed
Subscribed.

Ride 5-6 days/wk here in Fort Smith, AR. Recently upgraded to a Specialized Hardrock Sport 29'er.

Just uploaded some handlebar footage from my ride yesterday morning at one of the local parks. All in all it's about 10.5 miles. Right now I only have 2 segments uploaded. I will work on the 3rd and 4th later this evening.

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvn48ilbEJw&list=UUCcZMsjQ1DL2KS8N2mBW45Q

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXx7niJY_nU&list=UUCcZMsjQ1DL2KS8N2mBW45Q

Nice to meet some fellow riders.

Just a quick note, because of mountain biking I've lost 50lbs in the last 3 months! I am 6'4 and weighed about 275, and recently hit 223lbs.

andylaiphoto

Go Kart Champion
Subscribed.

Ride 5-6 days/wk here in Fort Smith, AR. Recently upgraded to a Specialized Hardrock Sport 29'er.

Just uploaded some handlebar footage from my ride yesterday morning at one of the local parks. All in all it's about 10.5 miles. Right now I only have 2 segments uploaded. I will work on the 3rd and 4th later this evening.

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvn48ilbEJw&list=UUCcZMsjQ1DL2KS8N2mBW45Q

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXx7niJY_nU&list=UUCcZMsjQ1DL2KS8N2mBW45Q

Nice to meet some fellow riders.

Just a quick note, because of mountain biking I've lost 50lbs in the last 3 months! I am 6'4 and weighed about 275, and recently hit 223lbs.

Great numbers on the weight-loss! Keep it up!

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Any of you new people have recommendations for adjustable seat posts?