GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 12-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #29
Irishbri
FIA GT Champion

Drives: '12 GTI UGM 6MT 4dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGC75 View Post
Not between stages, no. Many tuners offer switching between tunes in various ways, but once you're stage 2 you're either stage 2 93 octane, stage 2 91 octane or stock mode for the most part.

Apr offers a mobile dongle and app to switch tunes which is expensive but cool, otherwise with apr you can switch tunes via the cruise control stalk while the engine is off. Still expensive though and limited to 4 tunes. Giac, Unitronic and DM use a dongle and PC to switch tunes. Revo has an SPS to switch without the PC I believe.
Good info man, thanks. I am APR tuned and while the switching seemed a great selling point, reality is it stays in 93.....and I really wish I'd have went for the 100 oct instead of valet.....
*APR Stg 1+ * InJen Stg 1 CAI * South Bend Stage 3 Drop In * F Series TOB w/NLS Shims * BMS Clutch Stop * HPA 40% Short Shifter * Raceseng Slammer Engraved Shift Knob * HPA 75A Subframe Puck * Res Delete * 35% Tint Windows-20% Hatch* Black-Red Front Emblem * Blacked Out Rear Emblem & Badge * Yellow Lamin-X Fogs * Smoked Sidemarkers * Monster Mats * 3M Red Footwell effect * BT Dongle for TorquePro *
Irishbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #30
Irishbri
FIA GT Champion

Though if my clutch gets any worse, I may be very grateful for the capability of bumping back to stock to buy some time....
*APR Stg 1+ * InJen Stg 1 CAI * South Bend Stage 3 Drop In * F Series TOB w/NLS Shims * BMS Clutch Stop * HPA 40% Short Shifter * Raceseng Slammer Engraved Shift Knob * HPA 75A Subframe Puck * Res Delete * 35% Tint Windows-20% Hatch* Black-Red Front Emblem * Blacked Out Rear Emblem & Badge * Yellow Lamin-X Fogs * Smoked Sidemarkers * Monster Mats * 3M Red Footwell effect * BT Dongle for TorquePro *
Old 12-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #31
zwalk
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 GTi Autobahn
I'm slipping in 5th but just barely. It catches almost right away. In 4th I felt like it had a hiccup but it might be in my head. If I floor it I will see the needle hang on at 5k for just a millisecond longer than it should (frankly I think it's in my head, or I lost a bit of traction on a bump on the shitty highway). 6th I haven't deliberately tested. I went down to 4th because a semi truck did something dumb and I needed to get out of the way and when I dialed it back up to 6th I reset my throttle to WOT after each shift out of habit. I glanced down and say my RPMs up and moving faster than they should with minimal change in speed. So I think it's slipping, I only glanced at it.

2012 GTi Autobahn ~ 2 Door Manual
zwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #32
Irishbri
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwalk View Post
I'm slipping in 5th but just barely. It catches almost right away. In 4th I felt like it had a hiccup but it might be in my head. If I floor it I will see the needle hang on at 5k for just a millisecond longer than it should (frankly I think it's in my head, or I lost a bit of traction on a bump on the shitty highway). 6th I haven't deliberately tested. I went down to 4th because a semi truck did something dumb and I needed to get out of the way and when I dialed it back up to 6th I reset my throttle to WOT after each shift out of habit. I glanced down and say my RPMs up and moving faster than they should with minimal change in speed. So I think it's slipping, I only glanced at it.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that's exactly how it started for me....and exactly how I rationalized for a good two weeks.... mine got just worse enough for there to be no question....so far she holds well enough, except when she doesnt....;-)
Old 12-23-2014, 12:54 PM   #33
Thumper
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 15 Audi S3/'15 Audi S4/'15 328dx SW
It really is a crap shoot, as you found out. Basically, anyone going to Stg 2 should PLAN for a clutch, because you never know. Even stock cars have had slipping clutches.

Some people get slippage the day they get the tune, some longer, some never.

Drive carefully? Low revs?

Whatever, I went stg 2 at 6000 miles, 17000 on the odo now, over a dozen track days including Laguna Seca, multiple trips to Sonoma and more. High RPM hill climbs, deep pulls out of bends, high speed runs, all of it......zero slippage. I know I am a lucky one, but the tune doesn't kill the clutch, a design and production flaw kills these clutches......and there's no way to know if yours is weak or not until it slips.
2015 Alpine White BMW 328dX Touring M-Sport
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:57 PM   #34
zwalk
FIA GT Champion

They resolve themselves sometimes I hear so I'm praying for that... But I'll probably get a southbend Drop in now... There goes all my money.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #35
Irishbri
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
They resolve themselves sometimes I hear so I'm praying for that... But I'll probably get a southbend Drop in now... There goes all my money.
Quote:
Man I hope you're right....but I don't have high hopes for mine.....There is a great clutch thread on here: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52407

but after wading through about 30 of its 45 pages, I am still no closer in deciding what I need.....I never plan on taking it past Stage 2 and want to do just enough with a 25hp/ 25ft/lbs buffer.....
Old 12-23-2014, 01:14 PM   #36
zwalk
FIA GT Champion

I keep saying if I do this I'm going KO4 or its a was but I don't knos

Old 12-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #37
littleturbodub
Oval Newbie

Drives: '13 GTI
I went stage 2 GIAC at 31K this past August on my '13 GTI. No issues at all with the clutch *knocking on wood*
I don't drive it hard excessively, but do have some occasional fun.
Still holding strong at the end of December.
On of the guys at the local gtg went stage 2 APR and it took about a year before his stock clutch gave out.
It depends on your luck with our cars.

You'll still need a clutch eventually, so you better start saving soon
littleturbodub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #38
Irishbri
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
It really is a crap shoot, as you found out. ..... Even stock cars have had slipping clutches.

Some people get slippage the day they get the tune, some longer, some never.

Drive carefully? Low revs?

Whatever.....
^This...thank you! I Get tired of people spreading that its a driver issue....