GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Open 3" Downpipe

zsm722

Ready to race!
I was just curious to see what it would sound like.

Well, it sounds like an Formula 1 Weed Whacker.

I'm trying to fix a leak at my DP to catted midpipe sleeve and I decided to take off the whole midpipe and turn the car on. It is incredibly loud. Obnoxious. Unnecessary.

It was a little wet outside so I'll see what it sounds like WOT tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1Lrf1mBfmI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogf3d8e6u2I

-Z

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I was thinking about doing the same thing while trying to fix my exhaust leak (same place btw). Did you end up fixing it? How difficult is it to put the clamps back on from under the car?

zsm722

Ready to race!
Well I haven't put the midpipe back on yet, but clamps are not hard. As long as you have some deep sockets you'll be fine. Keep in mind my USP DP is not the same as yours. I have 2 pipe sleeves ( DP-midpipe and midpipe-catback) not Vbands or anything special. The whole reason mine is leaking is because the sleeve is crappy. My DP is the non carted version, but the guy I bought it from had a BMW cat welded into it. So the sleeve was an afterthought and it is all beat up, too small and doesn't tighten properly. I think it was owned by steemax, then 2011 CSG GTI, then I got it from member Androo@dubfest

Fyi The longest part is jacking up the car. Took me an hour total because I didn't raise it up enough.

Also to take off the midpipe, you need to remove the post cat o2 spacer from the bung. When you do this make sure you keep the sensor plugged in electrically, but secure it somewhere. You should only get a cat inefficiency code. Also my pre cat sensor is spaced with a L type spacer

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Well I haven't put the midpipe back on yet, but clamps are not hard. As long as you have some deep sockets you'll be fine. Keep in mind my USP DP is not the same as yours. I have 2 pipe sleeves ( DP-midpipe and midpipe-catback) not Vbands or anything special. The whole reason mine is leaking is because the sleeve is crappy. My DP is the non carted version, but the guy I bought it from had a BMW cat welded into it. So the sleeve was an afterthought and it is all beat up, too small and doesn't tighten properly. I think it was owned by steemax, then 2011 CSG GTI, then I got it from member Androo@dubfest

Fyi The longest part is jacking up the car. Took me an hour total because I didn't raise it up enough.

Also to take off the midpipe, you need to remove the post cat o2 spacer from the bung. When you do this make sure you keep the sensor plugged in electrically, but secure it somewhere. You should only get a cat inefficiency code. Also my pre cat sensor is spaced with a L type spacer

An hour to jack up your car? Jeez... should take 10 minutes! Yes, you do have to jack it very high (uncomfortably high). You can remove the sensor from the car completely to make it easier. I may do that when I try to fix mine. You have to remove the underbody tray (~6-8 screws) and then you'll see the connectors. Might be worth it (instead of twisting up the wires).

zsm722

Ready to race!
I meant overall time haha. Put it back in this morning in 45 minutes. I still need to get a new sleeve but I installed it better this time and the leak is very slight.

Btw, Before plugging in o2 spacers you can coil it CCW to pre load tension in the wire so that when you plug it in it doesn't undergo stress.