GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So I was detailing the engine bay and...

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
I guess some degreaser landed on the that part of inner fender and took some of the paint. Is this a DIY? Is there a paint code for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
It is the same paint that is on the rest of your car. The difference is there is no clear-coat used under the hood & that's why the degreaser removed the paint. I've done this myself in the past with degreaser.

Now when I clean under hood I am very careful where any of that stuff lands. I wet down the parts I don't want to get the cleaner on. That's for if some gets on there it is diluted by the water & hopefully causes no harm.

I use a diluted mix of Simple Green & water to clean. Usually once a year so there is never a lot of dirt to clean. Between those cleanings I wipe things down with a damp microfiber towel. Use an old one, save the good ones for exterior use.

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
It is the same paint that is on the rest of your car. The difference is there is no clear-coat used under the hood & that's why the degreaser removed the paint. I've done this myself in the past with degreaser.

Now when I clean under hood I am very careful where any of that stuff lands. I wet down the parts I don't want to get the cleaner on. That's for if some gets on there it is diluted by the water & hopefully causes no harm.

I use a diluted mix of Simple Green & water to clean. Usually once a year so there is never a lot of dirt to clean. Between those cleanings I wipe things down with a damp microfiber towel. Use an old one, save the good ones for exterior use.

damn and i diluted the degreaser too, i did notice from before that, that area was already sort of starting to discolor. Are u sure its the same paint as the rest of the car? cause IIRC the last time they painted my car and they were applying the base coat it was not that flat and had like some sparkle in the paint. I could be wrong as it was a while ago.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
No I'm not sure, it's just an uneducated guess on my part. I can't see why VW or any car maker would use a special underhood paint. You might ask your friendly local body shop that question.

What brand of degreaser did you use?

mikeleemk6

Go Kart Champion
It is the same paint it looks but its more flat than glossy. I am assuming they just sprayed and didnt clear. But my underhood area is doing the same thing and I have never sprayed any chemicals on it.

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
It is the same paint it looks but its more flat than glossy. I am assuming they just sprayed and didnt clear. But my underhood area is doing the same thing and I have never sprayed any chemicals on it.

yeah thats what i noticed too before i started to wash the engine bay, then it got worse when i cleaned the area.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Looking at the paint under the hood today. It is very thin & with no clear-coat it isn't going to last long. I may put some wax on it this spring in hopes of keeping the paint there.