GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's Discuss Clutch Options (Disc, Pressure Plate, Flywheel) - Summary of discussion

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
No problem, this is the kit I bought:
HTML:
https://www.sachsperformance.com/de/kupplung/performance-kupplung-sachs/kupplungssatz-001422-999502

And the throwout bearing:
HTML:
https://www.sachsperformance.com/en/clutch-kit/zf-sachs/clutch-central-slave-cylinder-613182654150

Prices on the website include the 19% VAT tax, but when you put in your shipping address they take that off automatically. I believe the picture of the above TOB is the two-piece version, but I received the aluminum 1-piece(perhaps they updated the part, but not the picture?).

I read that kit # 001422-999502 is for Sachs DMFW only, and that there is a different part # for Luk DMFW. When I ordered I asked them to verify that I had the correct parts for my vehicle('09 MkV TSI) and that I planned on using a Sachs DMFW.

I used the Sachs DMF91158 flywheel, if you shop around you can find it for around $450. I had some difficulty finding the Sachs part #, but it's listed as compatible for my '09 MkV TSI.

I've only put 5 miles on everything thus far and am really happy with it. If I run into any problems I'll report back.

If installing yourself, there are a couple of tools you may want to make things easier. I like taking the money saved on doing the labor myself, buy the right tools and make sure its done the right way.

Flywheel holding tool:
HTML:
http://www.dieselgeek.com/VW_3067_Flywheel_Holding_Tool_p/dsg-tool.htm

Clutch alignment tool:
Part # T10097, both HSTuning and ECS tuning make their own version which is the same thing.

I found that detailed parts diagrams were hard to find. Here's a link I have saved to the trans fasteners diagram, you can find the other diagrams from the link:
HTML:
http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/USA/modell/GOV/year/2010/drive_standart/685/hg_ug/300/subcategory/300076/part_id/3706589/lang/e

I didn't have a Bentley manual, but I found a PDF with all the torque specs from the A3, which shares a lot parts with the GTI:
HTML:
https://blogvager.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/10-audi_a3_qsb_web.pdf

I also opted to replace the rear main while in there. There is now an aftermarket spring seal that appears to be way better than the flimsy oem one:
HTML:
http://vag.excelerateperformance.com/iabed-indusrtiees/ea8881-06h-06j-06k-06l-rear-main-seal-replaces-06h103171f/462103171f/i-2433730.aspx

For the rear main, they recommend Reinzosil, there are a couple different versions with different temp ratings(200 C or 300 C). I opted for Reinzosil #00004320435 with the higher temp rating.

Also, for loctite, there are different versions of blue. I opted for Loctite Blue #243 which has some resistance to oil when curing compared to the normal Blue.

Anyways, more info than you asked for. Hopefully others find it useful.

EDIT: In my clutch kit, I received a non self-adjusting pressure plate. I was actually relieved as I didn't have to worry about resetting it myself. However, the engagement or bite point is a bit higher than stock, I just added a clutch bump stop to avoid bending the pressure plate fingers more than necessary when disengaged.

Thank you for the info!

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
The DIY kit is a decent choice. I don't know if I trust myself enough to put together something as important as a clutch, though. Plus you have to modify some parts a little bit... I dunno. There are enough options for this platform that I feel like I shouldn't have to "piece a kit together..." Just my .02.

Plus then there's no support if I have a problem with it... Somehow, no matter how bulletproof a part can be, I'm always part of the .05% of people who manage to screw it up. Lol.

My question is why are the other kits made for OEM DMFW so much cheaper. What are we missing here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
The DIY kit is a decent choice. I don't know if I trust myself enough to put together something as important as a clutch, though. Plus you have to modify some parts a little bit... I dunno. There are enough options for this platform that I feel like I shouldn't have to "piece a kit together..." Just my .02.

Plus then there's no support if I have a problem with it... Somehow, no matter how bulletproof a part can be, I'm always part of the .05% of people who manage to screw it up. Lol.

My question is why are the other kits made for OEM DMFW so much cheaper. What are we missing here?

Piecing it together is fine, I've read that people have gotten over 50k miles on their RSR clutch. Which is great, but i personally want a complete kit. Mostly for the support, because like you stated piecing it together there is no support for it.

The reason a pieced together kit is more expensive than a complete kit is the same reason its cheaper to buy complete car than a car you piece together yourself. Manufacturers compile these kits in bulk which lowers cost overall. When your piecing it together your paying almost list price for each individual piece.

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
Get a Sachs kit and don't look back....it's made by the OEM, what more could you want lol

TSI_mrniceguy- My BSH motor/trans mounts and HPA puck added a lot of vibration, but the SMFW added what I can only describe as "marbles in the transmission" kind of noise. It's weird at first, but once you come to terms with the fact that it is NOT hurting anything, it's totally fine. Again, NVH tolerance varies between different people. You will definitely notice and NVH change, but that will hold true with any SMFW. You can't expect to put aftermarket parts i nyour car and have it act like a stock car, there's trade offs for everything.

My advice, don't bust your head for too long, pick one and I'm sure you'll be happy.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Get a Sachs kit and don't look back....it's made by the OEM, what more could you want lol

TSI_mrniceguy- My BSH motor/trans mounts and HPA puck added a lot of vibration, but the SMFW added what I can only describe as "marbles in the transmission" kind of noise. It's weird at first, but once you come to terms with the fact that it is NOT hurting anything, it's totally fine. Again, NVH tolerance varies between different people. You will definitely notice and NVH change, but that will hold true with any SMFW. You can't expect to put aftermarket parts i nyour car and have it act like a stock car, there's trade offs for everything.

My advice, don't bust your head for too long, pick one and I'm sure you'll be happy.

I ended up getting this kit, http://www.clutchstop.co.uk/products/sachs-performance-clutch-kit-883089-000046.html

Found someone on UK forums selling it brand new in the box, i was able to get it for $600 :happyanim:

Last edited:

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
Just emailed BFI with a bunch of questions about their clutch kits, will report back what I find.

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
Harris,

You're correct in that the single mass flywheel does exhibit some chatter. Our flywheels are not noticeably louder than others however. This is a characteristic of all LW flywheels. Typically you will hear the sound with your foot off the clutch in neutral while stopped, then also a chatter sound on decel. The benefits as you mentioned though are a much fast revving engine and a faster spooling turbo consequently.

The kits that retain the DMF are good for a while, however we are starting to see those fail after 50k miles, as they just are not aggressive enough to hold up. Our 2500 lb pressure plate and clutch disc options are extremely stout and to date we have not had anyone complain about our clutch kits slipping.

This is what BFI said, responded the next morning.

I just followed up with them to find out what material is on the disc - hopefully organic.

Last edited:

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
I know that rev hang is a combination of emissions software AND the 38 pound boat anchor oem flywheel... so does a lightweight flywheel actually make that much of a difference in engine response/ rev hang/ etc? Is it really worth the noise?

charanyadma

Hello guys, I have a 2011 mk6 gti 6 spd, the clutch squeaks when I take the car out for the first time in winter. ( I checked it's not the pedal) the sound seems to be coming from the inside. Any ideas?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Hello guys, I have a 2011 mk6 gti 6 spd, the clutch squeaks when I take the car out for the first time in winter. ( I checked it's not the pedal) the sound seems to be coming from the inside. Any ideas?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Its a common and known problem. What your hearing is the Throw Out Bearing (TOB) squeal. All you can really do is just live with it. To replace the TOB it requires removing the transmission. Most people have had this problem, i had it also. Its annoying, but its not worth dropping a transmission to replace just the TOB. Most people wait for their clutches to start slipping and replace the clutch and TOB at the same time.

drift_boy

Passed Driver's Ed
What about DSG Gearboxes?

How is one able to tell if the clutch need replacing?

I m currently driven a 2010 vw mk6 gti for a good 200,000km and have not replaced my clutch once . Any advise how do i test it out ?

Much appreciated .