GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011 oil leak

Jyandrick13

my 2011 2.5 5 speed manual transmission has a slow oil leak, a few drops every night. I bough the car used a few months ago with 52,XXX miles on it. A few days before I had planned my first oil change I noticed a few spots under the car, knowing I was going to change the oil I didn't panic. I change the oil, replace the gasket, wipe everything down and it all looked fine. nothing stood out. A few weeks later and its still doing it. I just took the filter housing off again, checked the gasket, wiped it all down again and the only thing I really noticed was the bracket where the housing bolts to the block looked a little damp on the back side. Is it possible that its slowly leaking from there and that those gaskets have gone bad already? I left the engine guard off and plan to check it again later and see if I notice anything more. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

gugu1981

Passed Driver's Ed
By "oil filter housing", do you mean just the round canister? Or the entire assembly including the base?

If it's just the round canister, the o-ring is supposed to be replaced at each oil change. The new oil filter should come with a new o-ring.

If you are taking off the entire assembly for an oil change, or you see oil coming out around the assembly, then the gasket may have become deformed and isn't doing it's job anymore. You should probably replace the gasket and see.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...fjhphNzewu-3-M9_zK8aAgXf8P8HAQ&ad=47433971532

Peter

Jyandrick13

i mean the whole assembly. Does the intake manifold have to come off in order to replace that gasket? There is only 56k miles on this car, it seems odd to me that the gasket would be failing already?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
i mean the whole assembly. Does the intake manifold have to come off in order to replace that gasket? There is only 56k miles on this car, it seems odd to me that the gasket would be failing already?
The valve cover gasket leak is more common, check to make sure its not leaking and dripping down.

Jyandrick13

The car still has a small leak, I checked again today and still cant tell where it comes from, the valve cover gasket is sealed up and there are no leaks. I am all out of ideas. Next oil change I will replace the housing with the filter and gasket and hope that fixes it. till then I will keep spare oil in the car.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Last year i had a similar leak, I dont put the lower cover on so it was easy to tell it was from the filter housing, I had snuged the filter housing when I installed the filter, but after finding the leak it felt a bit loose I just grabbed the housing and tightened it again, sprayed brake cleaner to get rid of the excess oil and all has been good since but I make sure to check the tightness.

ECS Tuning carries a metal filter housing that youy may like to check out.

Jyandrick13

Thanks MLue1, I checked the filter housing for tightness before I put the cover on. the oil ends up leaking right off the piece of plastic attached to the cap at the bottom of the housing, but I cant tell where it comes out from. I have thought about the filter housing from ECS and I also plan to go with the aluminum ending guard from them as well once I make sure the leak is fixed. It is a sad day when my Harley doesn't leak but my VW does hahahahahaha

Jyandrick13

Well I broke down and ordered the ECS filter housing, so later this week I hope to have it installed and finally stop the leak! Until then I am coating my garage floor pretty good.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I'm curious why change the housing when it is most likely the gasket where the housing bolts to the block?

Jyandrick13

Because I am hoping I saw it wrong and that its just the housing leaking. Its easier to attempt this first before I remove the intake and tackle that task.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Because I am hoping I saw it wrong and that its just the housing leaking. Its easier to attempt this first before I remove the intake and tackle that task.
you got me thinking, I will replace the filter housing and my oil pan this summer. The bottom of the oil pan is rusty so prolly thin.

Jyandrick, keep up to date if the seal at the block requires attention, my old Toyota Camry leaked at the same seal.

Jyandrick13

I just got this car this past November. It had 52k on the clock and appeared to be a good deal. A few months later and only a couple grand on the odometer I started to notice the leak under the car and the filter housing covered in oil. I took it off cleaned it all up checked for cracks or warping anything that would point to the housing. Nothing and it still leaked. I then began looking for more, that's when I noticed it could possibly be leaking from the block but I wasn't really sure because the oil still drips down off of the filter housing. So that's why I am at this point of replacing the housing. It should be later this week so a new filter housing and a quart or so of oil and we shall see what happens. That's the story so only time will tell.

Jyandrick13

well today was the day. I installed my new billet ECS Tuning oil filter canister with a new oil filter of course. now I wait and see if the leak returns or if this solved the problem. If it returns I just may move on from this car.