GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Noise and possible turbo failure??

saintnick

Hey guys so I have a strange high pitch fluttery noise coming from the back part of my engine compartment and can't seem to pinpoint what it is. The noise occurs during cold start and is really loud! It also occurs whenever accelerating but only randomly. Sometimes it doesn't. I'm guessing it has something to do with the turbo since it sounds like more of a pressure leak. Could be a pcv issue as well. Any ideas or suggestions help. I'm going to link a video shortly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slowgti08

Ready to race!
that fluttery sound you are explaining could possibly be the Diverter valve or even your PCV valve. Hard to guess without hearing it

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
hmmm check for an exhaust leak as noted.. and then check your PCV i think i read that will make a whistle noise when failing? but im not sure

saintnick

hmmm check for an exhaust leak as noted.. and then check your PCV i think i read that will make a whistle noise when failing? but im not sure

Finally figured it out. I found multiple videos on YouTube with the same sound. Apparently it's a broken stud on the exhaust manifold. Unfortunately it's an expensive fix.

adema69

Ready to race!
Finally figured it out. I found multiple videos on YouTube with the same sound. Apparently it's a broken stud on the exhaust manifold. Unfortunately it's an expensive fix.

stud that connects the dp to the turbocharger or to the head? if its the dp stud thats not hard to replace imop

saintnick

stud that connects the dp to the turbocharger or to the head? if its the dp stud thats not hard to replace imop

I believe it's the stud to the head. At least that's what was posted in the video. I don't see how that could even happen tbh. I'll be swapping in a ko4 in the next month or so. At least I'll be close to that area so I can do a check then I guess

seanbeauman

Does it mostly make the noise when the engine is cold? My car just started making a similar noise. Seems to go away at idle as it warms, then when I'm actually driving I can hear it still from time to time.

saintnick

Does it mostly make the noise when the engine is cold? My car just started making a similar noise. Seems to go away at idle as it warms, then when I'm actually driving I can hear it still from time to time.

Yes it's only when I start it cold and then here and there when I'm hard on accelerating. Some days it's worse than usual. I can go an entire week without hearing it and then some days it's whenever I accelerate. Here are the links for the videos I found on YouTube with the same sound. Make sure you read the comments and let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/iVue8Nk57Hw
https://youtu.be/UtJpM93POxE

saintnick

Exact same as my car. Glad you found those videos man!!

Yeah no prob. I'll keep you posted if I find a fix or on what I plan to do. Right now it's not super annoying and only happens here and there. I'm hoping when I swap the ko4 in that I find the problem

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Definitely sounds like an exhaust leak to me!

seanbeauman

So I found a broken stud. Mine was on top and second over from the drivers side. Looks like it's time to start considering k04 since it's gotta come out anyways to do the studs.