GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Transmission issue

13GTI Fade

Ok guys looking for some guidance. I have a six speed manual and have not had any issues with it before. Today out of no where on my way home I went to shift and it acted like it didn't want to go into gear. It's always been pretty smooth but now I have to put some force I to it to shift gears. I have no idea what is going on so any help would be appreciated. I tried searching but can't find anything please help.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

intellistar

Ready to race!
The shifter occasionally needs realignment, so I would try that first since it's the easiest. Next step would be to bleed the clutch if that doesn't work, since air in the lines can lead to disengagement issues.

13GTI Fade

Ok well after taking the long way home so I wouldn't have to shift below third. I went out to check everything out and it won't go into first, second or reverse at all. It is acting like my clutch is not engaging all the way. When trying to shift into first it won't go in but it tries to go forward. I aligned the shifter just to be sure and also bleed the clutch and no difference at all.

13GTI Fade

Ok so looking for someone more knowledgeable that myself. When running it will not go into any gear at all. But if I kill the car then it goes into all gears no problem.

Jared32

Ready to race!
Try adjusting the linkage first if that doesn't work it may help to change the fluid and if that doesn't work then maybe the clutch needs re bleeding??

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus

13GTI Fade

Ok well I adjusted the clutch this afternoon. Guess I'll pick some fluid up and try that tomorrow.

13GTI Fade

My car is stock and the clutch had never slipped even during spotted driving. Is it possible my clutch may be the issue?

Jared32

Ready to race!
Definitely a possibility but you say it works fine in higher gears? If that's the case it doesn't really seem like the clutch...

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus

13GTI Fade

When not running it goes in all gears but when running it's like the clutch isn't engaging

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
When not running it goes in all gears but when running it's like the clutch isn't engaging

Do you mean that it's like it isn't disengaging? If the clutch pedal is pushed to the floor, the clutch is disengaged. When you press the pedal to the floor, you've disengaged the clutch, allowing the engine to spin independently of the transmission. If your foot is off of the clutch, the clutch is engaged and able to transfer torque to the wheels.

With that said, if your clutch hydraulics have air in the lines or the slave or master cylinder is failing you may not be able to completely disengage the clutch meaning that with the car running you can't prevent the engine from spinning up the transmission. If this is happening there's a fair chance that selecting a gear from a stop is going to be difficult to impossible.

Basically what's happening is when the car is running and stationary you can't select a gear because you can't get the engine side of the transmission to stop spinning to mesh the shifter parts with the differential side of the transmission that's not spinning.

If you want to test this... with the car off put it in first gear (disengage the parking brake), and with he clutch pedal pushed to the floor start the car. If there's even the slightest jerk or feeling of forward momentum like the car wants to drive off with the clutch pedal completely depressed, or if when you start to pull your foot off the clutch it feels like the engagement point is super close to the floor, you have a hydraulic issue.

13GTI Fade

Ok so just like you explained I started the car in first and with the clutch in it tries to start rolling. So my next question is what might be causing the issue? I was planning on changing the fluid and bleeding the clutch again tomorrow but may not if it's not going to help. I may still do it later but first off I need to get my car back on the road since it's my only car.

13GTI Fade

Picked up some fluids today and topped it off. Then bled the clutch again. Pretty confident there is no air in the lines for sure. The problem is it didn't help at all. I still can't get the clutch to fully disengage and allow me the shift.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
:(

Have you cleaned all the visible hydraulic parts you can physically touch to make it easier to spot leaks? Maybe you'll be lucky and it's not the slave cylinder. Because the transmission has to come off to replace that.

13GTI Fade

Yeah i cleaned everything yesterday and checked also checked after I bled the clutch again today. No leaks anywhere. I guess it's my slave cylinder. Not sure it's replacing it is something I want to try to tackle. Anyone here from east texas know of a good shop cause I'm really not wanting to go to the dealership.