GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

U-20t's Build Part 2 - Uber MK6 - Big Turbo DSG 4 Motion Swap - Its about going fast

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
Pretty sweet stuff. If you have the DSG trans cracked open (or when you do), could you post pics of what it looks like in there and how involved it is to install the wavetrack and new clutchpacks? I'm curious as to why the labor is so intense on DSG.

Internally they are very similar to the the 6spd manual, just more work to get to the internals and more parts/seals needed then a manual once they are opened.

Like Tom said they are very similar (DSG-6MT), it basically looks like a manual with hydraulics and some sensors.

Cost is more labor, more to take apart and its also heavier. You also need to replace some parts when opening when you don't do with a manual.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Harness work - one of a few... using oem style harness tape and twisting for data, do it right or don't do it at all.

Twisting for data? I've always used the drill trick to twist wires together just to keep everything looking nice. But their is something with data behind it also? Never knew!

Either way, good shit man! :w00t:

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
Twisting for data? I've always used the drill trick to twist wires together just to keep everything looking nice. But their is something with data behind it also? Never knew!

Either way, good shit man! :w00t:

Data is twisted to help with interference/noise, all cat5/6 is like that too.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
Compiling a few photos of the trans build, this is an AWD 02E -

Before build -

Opening up - Note there is more oil than you could ever think possible still in the trans even after you drain it.

Manual trans out -

Limited Slip Diff - Yes Wavetrac is the best, put that power to the ground.

Getting some paint and getting ready to install :thumbup:

Waiting on a few parts still and this oem style cooler will not be used.

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
What exactly do you have in mind for the transmission and driveline upgrade? I assume with the power you are going for that you will need to upgrade more than just the Wavetrac. Will you also need to upgrade the haldex and clutch packs?

tom@aptuning

VW Service & Performance
What exactly do you have in mind for the transmission and driveline upgrade? I assume with the power you are going for that you will need to upgrade more than just the Wavetrac. Will you also need to upgrade the haldex and clutch packs?

Haldex shouldn't be a problem strength wise short of insane launches or something. Keep in mind there are already lots of haldex cars making tons of power without issue. Also worst case scenario it will only ever see half of the power the engine makes, so short of the shock load from a launch with traction its actually less stress on the drivetrain then fwd.

Last edited:

U-20T

Go Kart Champion

Just a Wavetrac upgrade wise, will keep the OEM packs for now, they are still good so no point in changing until there is an issue.

It will have an external cooler and Unitronic DSG software on it as well

VanDorin91

Go Kart Champion
Looking great!