Wtf is happening to my rim!?!?

drodrigues09

Ready to race!

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
That's the early sign of carbon buildup and/or water pump failure

drodrigues09

Ready to race!
It was probably poorly refinished if it is only happening to one wheel. Scour different classifieds for a set if you want to refinish badly. Or I'm sure there will be someone who will sell a pair and you can keep the other as backup.
Yeaa thats most likely the route im taking

cobie56

Ready to race!
can't tell from the pic but it does look as if the clear coat is peeling.. do u use an automated car wash? if so, those are notorious for ruining the clear coat on wheels....

drodrigues09

Ready to race!
can't tell from the pic but it does look as if the clear coat is peeling.. do u use an automated car wash? if so, those are notorious for ruining the clear coat on wheels....
Yea it is the clear coat but i go to a hand wash place [emoji20]

drodrigues09

Ready to race!

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
It was probably repaired at one point. I bought a used wheel for a third of the cost of VW once but it was reconditioned. This after a few years. Insurance grade they say.

zrickety

The Fixer
Time to ditch those heavy Detroits and get some lighter wheels.

drodrigues09

Ready to race!
It was probably repaired at one point. I bought a used wheel for a third of the cost of VW once but it was reconditioned. This after a few years. Insurance grade they say.
So you got this as well??

drodrigues09

Ready to race!
Time to ditch those heavy Detroits and get some lighter wheels.
If i was low already that would be my 1st option but new wheels only make sense once you have some low

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
time to get new, lighter wheels.

X2. Lightweight 17s was probably the best mod that I made to this car:

I'm rocking the stock suspension because the roads near me SUCK.

If i was low already that would be my 1st option but new wheels only make sense once you have some low

They make sense when the roads near you cause this to happen to one of your stock wheels:

I hit a pothole at speed in the rain (didn't see it) and that wheel cracked from the inside out...

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
So you got this as well??

Yes. The clear coat was probably thicker or a different type of material. I had it refinished again and sold the wheels.

zrickety

The Fixer
Not true. I'm at stock height and light wheels made a big difference for me. If you only care about looks, then get suspension, but weight reduction always makes sense. I just wouldn't waste any more money on another oem wheel.

Last edited:

drodrigues09

Ready to race!
Not true. I'm at stock height and light wheels made a big difference for me. If you only care about looks, then get suspension, but weight reduction always makes sense. I just wouldn't waste any more money on another oem wheel.

Yeaa I didn't wanna waste money on a new stock wheel either. Guess ill be looking into coilovers and then 17's :thumbup: