GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ko4'd GTI vs K24 powered supercharged CRX

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Just trying to get an idea of what I'm up against... Entering a track day that is going to have a Miata challenge, s2k challenge, and fwd Honda challenge.

As there is likely note enough dubs to have a GTI challenge... I'm thinking closest competitors to me are the fwd Honda's... Although I can stick with the s2k's in the turns... And likely blow them away in the straights.

What I'm wondering... What if there is a k24 powered crx or type r, gutted interior, track setup suspension, with a supercharger to boot?

Just getting an idea of the competition as likely I'm gonna be the lone VW representing the rest of the community at the event unless others join of course:)

My setup... AWE/ GIAC tuned ko4'd MK6 GTI running the high output file (I have the option to run my water meth on the 100 oct file... But likely not a good idea unless it's a drag race)... 24mm rear sway, H&R street performance Coilovers, Dunlop direzzas, hawk HP plus... VF engine mounts, but utilizing the factory XDS.

The track... My favorite track Buttonwillow running CCW (I hardly run CCW) in the number 13 configuration... Again never ran that configuration.

Myself... Not a pro driver but have gotten some of the fastest times around some tracks with a Ko4 that had boost leaks... Now everything is solid thanks to GIAC and Supreme

Last edited:

pure_lunatic

Ready to race!
I'm just jealous you have the opportunity to compete in these events.

I'm sure a blown turbo track-ready CRX is as expensive to maintain as it is to create. Hope it grenades?

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
a k24 with a sc would be tough especially since its in a car that weighs next to nothing....but that is also a little bit of a curse for the crx too...that extra weight is going to completely throw off the cornering....its really up to how well the driver of the crx knows his or her car

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
I'm just jealous you have the opportunity to compete in these events.

I'm sure a blown turbo track-ready CRX is as expensive to maintain as it is to create. Hope it grenades?

Anyone can come and compete... it's really more for fun... like a pick up game of basketball... all about bragging rights:)

It's still an HPDE (high performance driving event)... so much safer pushing the car to its limits on the track than on the street...

doing it through www.speedventures.com

a k24 with a sc would be tough especially since its in a car that weighs next to nothing....but that is also a little bit of a curse for the crx too...that extra weight is going to completely throw off the cornering....its really up to how well the driver of the crx knows his or her car

Otoh... just checking out tracktimes on the speedventures sight... alot of the FWD honda's are getting under 2:10 sec to 2:05 sec times with no forced induction at all!!!

Last time I was at that track I got 2:16's with just stage 1 tune and intake, mild suspension mods, Hawk HP Plus pads, and Direzza tires...

I already know it's gonna be more than HP to be fast, even if I have 100 whp more this time around... but 2 weeks away is gonna be to short a time to switch to a more aggressive suspension setup/ R compound tires/ and get it all dialed in.

Might however get more aggressive pads (I brake way too conservatively)/ flush my fluids/ loose the back seat/ and corner balance the car... as the factory toe settings seemed just fine last time out.

The other obstacle is that out here in Socal, the Long Beach Grand Prix is the same weekend which means many of the actual race shops that do track prep are busy with prepping cars for that weekend... at least according to GMG motorsports...

Bender1

Banned
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Its going to be a fight but I think you can take them. Looking at the 13 set up you have 6 fairly significant straights and only 3 turns that aren't REALLY suited to the GTI...

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
but i'll be running CCW... I've ran #13 in CW direction and it's a blast!!! funnest part is Phil Hill as it is a blind turn at the top of the hill... if you hit it right the car gets weightless and sometimes even catches some air then touchdown and slide to outside of turn... such a rush:)

Gawd... of all the years I've been tracking I've only ever ran CCW on any track like twice!!!

But agreed... smooth is fast... then adrenaline takes over and you push harder and all of a sudden you aren't smooth and laptimes drop... grrr

Any how... I think I'm gonna upgrade brake pads from Hawk HP Plus to something more track aggressive... this is gonna be a race in the braking zones...

lowerthanzimmy

Go Kart Champion
a k series s/c is a 320+whp car....in a car that weights 1.5k less then you....if its a k series Frankenstein (k20 with a k25 head)....its going to make even more power

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
a k series s/c is a 320+whp car....in a car that weights 1.5k less then you....if its a k series Frankenstein (k20 with a k25 head)....its going to make even more power

Hopefully I don't run into anything like that...

but since this is a HFF challenge (Honda Front Engine Front wheel drive challenge) I guess I should realistically see what class my car falls into and what types of Honda's I would run into considering the mods my car has (except for the engine everything is pretty mild as far as mods go)... sooo

here are the classes that the Honda's have to go by:

HERE ARE THE RULES AS FOR THE FIRST SEASON.

Chassis Table
.00 TSX, TL, Accord V6
.50 92+ Prelude, RSX, 01-05 Civic Si Hatch, 90+ Accord, 06+ Civic
1.0 90-01 Integra, 01-05 Civic
1.25 96-00 Civic, 92-95 Civic Sedan and Coupe, Del Sol
1.5 92-95 Civic Hatch, 88-91 Civic, CRX All, 84-87 Civic, 86-89 Integra

Engine Table
00 - D-series (all)
.50 - B-series & F22 NON-VTEC
.75 - B16/16B/17, F22/23 VTEC
1.0 - B18 VTEC, K20/24 Base, H23 non-VTEC
1.5 - K20, B20Vtec, F20B/H22/23 VTEC, H2B/F2B/G23 (DOHC)
1.75 - K24, J-series swaps (no points when in original chassis)

Aero Table
.25 Aftermarket Air Dam or any add-on Lip that bolts to OEM location (OEM lip excluded)
.50 Aftermarket Front Lip, Air Dam, etc., that does not bolt to OEM location.
.75 Air dam / Front Splitter
.25 Front Canards
1.5 Full front aero package used together (air dam bumper, lip, canards, splitter, wheel spats)
.50 Aero Sideskirts (PCI style)
.50 Rear Diffuser
.25 Level 1 wing (using OEM mounting locations, (Spoon, Mugen, Type R style wings)
.50 Level 2 wing (GT style wings)
1.0 Level 3 wing (GT wing larger than APR GTC200)
1.0 Full-length flat floorboard plate

Wheel/Tire Table
2.5 100UTQG minimum R-compound Tires (NT01, RA1, R888 etc)
3.5 50UTQG minimum R-compound Tires (AO48, PSC, V700, etc)
5.0 less than 50UTQG R-compound Tires (V710, A6, R6, Z214, R1 etc)

Power / Drivetrain Table
.25 Test Pipe (catalytic converter removal)
.50 No exhaust (header back piping with no restrictions)
.25 Aftermarket Camshafts. (Any profile)
.25 Aftermarket Intake Manifold (Non oem style)
1.0 Individual Throttle Bodies
.25 Per 100cc (.1L) of Increased Displacement
.25 OEM or Aftermarket Pistons if over 12:0 compression
2.5 Forced Induction, (Turbo, supercharger)
.25 Modified OEM ECU (Hondata, Crome, etc.)
.50 Aftermarket engine management (Motec, AEM, etc.)
.50 Aftermarket LSD
.25 4.8 or higher Final Drive
.25 6 Speed

Suspension Table
.50 Fixed height non-adjustable off the shelf suspension
1.0 Adjustable Shocks or coilover suspension
1.5 2+way adjustable suspension
.25 Spherical bearings (2 sets or less)
.50 Spherical bearings (3 sets or more)
1.0 Modified suspension pickup points

Weight Table
.25 Removal or modification to chassis parts for weight advantage (bumper beams, etc.)
.25 Rear Seats removed
.25 Interior Panels removed beyond that for safety equipment installation
.25 Passenger Seat removed
.25 Door Panels / Door Glass removed (some safety precaution must be taken when door panels are removed)
.25 Lightweight doors (requires cage with intrusion beams)
.25 Heater removal
.25 Each window replaced with lightweight plastic ( ¼ and door glass will be counted by pair)
-.25 Retaining sunroof

Safety Table
-0.25 Roll Bar installed
-0.75 Roll Bar installed with Bucket Seat and FIA-approved 5+ point Harness
-1.0 Full Roll-cage Installed with Bucket Seat and FIA-approved 5+ point Harness

FREE MODS - Intake/header/exhaust
- Any TW140+ street tires
- Lightweight battery
- Lightweight hood, trunk, fender
- Spare tire & tool removal
- Any alignment
- Camber kit, bump steer kit, tie rod end, roll center adjuster (points WILL be issued for Spherical bearings on these pieces)
- Upgraded bushings (see suspension for spherical points)
- Bucket seats
- Steering wheel
- Brake / intake ducting
- Aftermarket brake systems
- Any sway bars
- Any add-on chassis reinforcement
- Any interior removal as required for safety equipment installation (typically: Rear seats and belts, ¼ trim, Carpet)
- High-flow catalytic converter
- Any wheel spacer
- Audio removal
- Sound deadening removal

OTHER
- For B-series era cars wheels wider than 9 inches automatically result in unlimited classification, for K-series era cars size limit is 10 inches.
- Engine swaps that require aftermarket ECU will be given points for this mod.
- Correct OEM ECU for your engine will not be given points.
- OEM dashboard removal will result in unlimited classification
- No point deduction for running only bucket seats and harnesses without a roll bar.
- Tow Hooks / points are required for all entrees.

CLASSING BREAKDOWN

Street Class – 4 points maximum The purpose of this class is to allow moderate modifications to the car, great for daily driven cars. No R compound tires. Cars MUST have catalytic converter and be registered with DMV. For B-series era cars max tire width is 215 For K-series era cars max tire width is 235

Modified /Mod-1 – 8 points maximum This is the class for most. Hybrid engine swaps, adjustable suspension etc. if you fall within the point boundaries. You are here. For B-series era cars max tire width is 225 For K-series era cars max tire width is 255

Super Modified/ Mod-2 –11 points maximum Similar to the Modified class but with less restriction, For B-series era cars max tire width is 235 For K-series era cars max tire width is 265

Ultimate/ Mod-3– No point limits Anything over 11 points put you into this class. No holds bar!

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Hmm lookin at the classes... if my car where a honda it would fall into the modified class...

btw... just ordered me up some carbotech XP10's for the front and XP8's for the back... dunno yet if I need new rotors (24K miles and 4 trackdays on my current rotors running Hawk HP plus since day 1)... but that should help things a little:)

Norsk

Go Kart Champion
Hmm lookin at the classes... if my car where a honda it would fall into the modified class...

btw... just ordered me up some carbotech XP10's for the front and XP8's for the back... dunno yet if I need new rotors (24K miles and 4 trackdays on my current rotors running Hawk HP plus since day 1)... but that should help things a little:)

Had Carbotech XP10 and XP8. It def eat up the rotors.

Better get Hawk Track Pads.

lowerthanzimmy

Go Kart Champion
an i know thats a eg...there about the same in weight though...im curious how it would go....i ran my friends k24 Frankenstein EG when i was stock with a exhaust and he had a 30 min tune....he blew my doors off haha