GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR or Revo ... sell me

mikey_g

Passed Driver's Ed
So I'm going to be pulling the trigger on stage 1, 2 or 2+ in the next few weeks on APR or Revo. This thread will serve as APR's and/or Revo's opportunity to sell me. Bashing the other isn't going to cut it either. I have shops right next door that can service either need here in Dallas. Current setup is Magnaflow CBE and VWR intake. A downpipe is part of the tune process (already purchased and en route).

So, with these mods in mind, please wow me with tune reliability, supportability, manufacturer reliability and what makes your tune the better choice. If a HPFP upgrade is needed, please explain the reason your re-map needs it and at what point.

I'm not looking for the most power possible, but the most reliable power available. Lots of opinions back and forth, I'd like to hear directly from APR and Revo directly by post or PM.

Thanks.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
APR = You get to deal with Arin and the best customer service in the industry.

Revo = You have to deal with Revo.

I would check out APR and GIAC. I was just at a local dyno day that had a couple GIAC tuned Golf Rs there and they ran stronger than any of the other options.

there are dyno results on both pages of this thread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5838268-VAG-dyno-day-interesting-results

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
APR may not always have the most power, but customer service and overall reliability seem to be #1 out there. As said above though, GIAC may be something to consider as well,.

MSB065

Passed Driver's Ed
Does APR offer map switching yet for the R??

I have a mk6 and i would take revo again, but like skullv said it depends on service in your area. The reliability argument is BS except if you can prove a certain car pulls way more timing than another on tune X. Customer support is vital with tuning, we have brilliant Revo service here but then again there's a lot going for Apr on ur side. Our APR guys charge about $500 for an intake that's why we don't use them!

yoffer

Go Kart Newbie
Ive had Revo on my last 2 cars. I love it, im a huge supporter. But then again, nothing wrong with going with APR either.

r3vo_0816

Ready to race!
I am Revo Stage 2 and will pull on any APR stage 2 with the same setup as me. That being said, The Customer service REVO has to offer is not very good. I have had APR themselves answer questions regarding my clutch slipping. questions that REVO never answered. My .02

ryanrich1

Ready to race!
I'm very happy with revo and went with them because the APR support and prices in my country are terrible and revo is superb. In the US it would indeed be a tough choice, but both are great products so it would have to be whoever has better after sales support for me.

035GTi

Passed Driver's Ed
I have had Revo and now have APR. I would go APR again. My APR Edition 35 makes about 30whp more than a REVO Edition 35. A local APR Golf R with stage 2+ has run a 11.6 1/4 mile. I also found that reliability with APR is excellent.

mikey_g

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the input guys. The comments justify my confusion. They are both good, or they wouldnt be popular. Im really curious how Revo gets to stage 2 wo an HPFP but APR needs it (obviously APR dumps furl sooner with the tune) but why I guess. Im not worried about getting the HPFP if needed, but I definitely dont want a tune that runs the stock pump at max duty cycle regularly. I can also road trip to APR for the sweet deal should they offer one, but as I said both have a very convinient local presence with strong customer bases.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Thanks for the input guys. The comments justify my confusion. They are both good, or they wouldnt be popular. Im really curious how Revo gets to stage 2 wo an HPFP but APR needs it (obviously APR dumps furl sooner with the tune) but why I guess. Im not worried about getting the HPFP if needed, but I definitely dont want a tune that runs the stock pump at max duty cycle regularly. I can also road trip to APR for the sweet deal should they offer one, but as I said both have a very convinient local presence with strong customer bases.

Take a trip to APR and be convinced. I promise it'll be worth your while.

mikey_g

Passed Driver's Ed
And just for the record, at this point I'm probably 51/49 in favor of Revo. So it really is a toss up. The info is important and I appreciate it guys !!!

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
And just for the record, at this point I'm probably 51/49 in favor of Revo. So it really is a toss up. The info is important and I appreciate it guys !!!

PM Arin@APR or Chris@Revo and hear it from the mouth of the dragon. But I must say.....APR has never failed me and their Customer service is top notch

mikey_g

Passed Driver's Ed
Take a trip to APR and be convinced. I promise it'll be worth your while.

I'm not gonna drive to BE sold, I'm willing to drive IF I AM sold. Does that make sense ?

Oh and Revo is in WV and the Big 12 like my TCU Horned Frogs ... they play TCU this weekend. APR is in Alabama and the SEC ... soooo, theres's that too :D

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion

This is false. APR has a stage 2 without hpfp. The R conventions are as follows:

Stage 1 tune: no hardware required
Stage 1+: HPFP required
Stage 2: only DP required
Stage 2+: DP + HPFP required

Intakes not required, but recommended on all tunes (I believe). I have the HPFP and feel it would be better to go Stage 1+ with HPFP than Stage 2 with just a DP. That's my opinion and if you search, all those who added the HPFP after going stage 2 will confirm that the difference is not insignificant.