GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

pads/rotors/lines or bbk

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
my stoptech trophy kit are for sale. pm me for pics

emike34

Ready to race!
I have the stoptech st40 328mm red if u want. Do not come with rotor rings and u prob don't want to use my used pads if u get new rings. Pm if interested.

zrickety

The Fixer
I did a couple track days recently, K04 running no shields with drilled/slotted rotors, Tyrol stiffening and stock lines. I could use dedicated pads but never felt like I needed a new setup. My .02.

George11

Ready to race!
I did a couple track days recently, K04 running no shields with drilled/slotted rotors, Tyrol stiffening and stock lines. I could use dedicated pads but never felt like I needed a new setup. My .02.

:clap: I should of gone the same route. I have run Buttonwillow, Willowsprings, Auto Club Speedway and Chuckwalla with the Porsche Boxster caliper aka NSQBBK, outside of needing to change to different compounds the setup has run well. Though honestly I could of probably kept my stock setup, I realized my folly. Recently I looked at the difference between it and stock, change from a stock sliding caliper to fixed and minor changes to piston area. But that was all that changed.

Using https://www.sketchandcalc.com/ I was able to calculate the surface area of the GTI stock pad vs NSQBBK vs what I was thinking of upgrading to the Wilwood kit. Pad dimensions were sourced from Pagid Racing:

Pagid link of GTI Stock pad 5184.75 mm^2

Pagid link of Porsche Boxster Non-S pad 5300.41 mm^2

For me, I never changed the pads on my GTI until I went to the NSQBBK, which is very easy. Though the outside of fixed vs floating and the amount of pistons not much has changed in terms surface area for brake pads or rotor.

Last edited:

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
:clap: I should of gone the same route. I have run Buttonwillow, Willowsprings, Auto Club Speedway and Chuckwalla with the Porsche Boxster caliper aka NSQBBK, outside of needing to change to different compounds the setup has run well. Though honestly I could of probably kept my stock setup, I realized my folly. Recently I looked at the difference between it and stock, change from a stock sliding caliper to fixed and minor changes to piston area. But that was all that changed.

Using https://www.sketchandcalc.com/ I was able to calculate the surface area of the GTI stock pad vs NSQBBK vs what I was thinking of upgrading to the Wilwood kit. Pad dimensions were sourced from Pagid Racing:

For me, I never changed the pads on my GTI until I went to the NSQBBK, which is very easy. Though the outside of fixed vs floating and the amount of pistons not much has changed in terms surface area for brake pads or rotor.

It's not about increasing the braking ability. It's about increasing the repeatability. If you increased the swept area of the pads or had bigger pistons on the front but didn't also do it to the rear as well, then you'd ruin the bias, making it unsafe at the limit and your pedal feel would suck without upgrading the master cylinder as well. The boxster setup is only slightly better than the stock setup. The rotors aren't much larger than the stock gti ones. The advantage is the feel improvement with the fixed calipers. Like you said it is easier to swap the pads though too. And I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying if you keep at it and you increase you power levels the stock brakes will be the limiting factor and possibly a safety hazard.

alemagno

Passed Driver's Ed

Fresh brake fluid and good racing pads is all what you need. I never experienced fading and I tried to push it as much as I can in group 4 in NASA events. I guess a BBK kit make people feel good.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Fresh brake fluid and good racing pads is all what you need. I never experienced fading and I tried to push it as much as I can in group 4 in NASA events. I guess a BBK kit make people feel good.

I hear ya. When you double the horsepower of the engine it might be a little different. Just sayin.

George11

Ready to race!
It's not about increasing the braking ability. It's about increasing the repeatability. If you increased the swept area of the pads or had bigger pistons on the front but didn't also do it to the rear as well, then you'd ruin the bias, making it unsafe at the limit and your pedal feel would suck without upgrading the master cylinder as well. The boxster setup is only slightly better than the stock setup. The rotors aren't much larger than the stock gti ones. The advantage is the feel improvement with the fixed calipers. Like you said it is easier to swap the pads though too. And I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying if you keep at it and you increase you power levels the stock brakes will be the limiting factor and possibly a safety hazard.
I agree with you, my goal was to improve the cars handling with the NSQBBK it did minor improvements. I recently looked at the Wilwood kit and the only difference between it and my setup is a two piece rotor and two more pistons. The pad surface is the same size as well compared to the gti or nsqbbk.

I have yet to research the over sized rotor setup that are larger than 321mm.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

zrickety

The Fixer
I was at VIR chasing Mustangs and Corvettes.

zrickety

The Fixer
Lol maybe

George11

Ready to race!
The stoptech looks like a decent setup. Though some older reviews of stoptech on the corvette forum stated that AP brakes will outperform because of using SS pistons, anti knockback springs and some other data. Any input on this?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk