GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering ratios and Spindles ( stock - passat - TTRS)

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!

RPF JUAN

Hi!! I'm really happy that i stumbled across your thread. I'm piecing together a mk2 tt spindle conversion for my mk5 and was hoping you could answer a few questions i had...

I'm already using b6 aluminum LCAs and balljoints on the stock spindle.. can i reuse the LCAs with the TT spindle? (I really don't want the increased track width as fitment is already tight with 245s). Maybe use the mk2 tt balljoint and b6 LCA?

Second, is swapping the tierod end insert as easy as pressing one out and another one in?

mkrazit

Hi!! I'm really happy that i stumbled across your thread. I'm piecing together a mk2 tt spindle conversion for my mk5 and was hoping you could answer a few questions i had...

I'm already using b6 aluminum LCAs and balljoints on the stock spindle.. can i reuse the LCAs with the TT spindle? (I really don't want the increased track width as fitment is already tight with 245s). Maybe use the mk2 tt balljoint and b6 LCA?

Second, is swapping the tierod end insert as easy as pressing one out and another one in?

I just went through some of this, though w/ a B6 Passat Al spindle instead...

Regarding the MKII TT ball joint w/ B6 LCA...the ball joint hole patterns are different b/w Passat and TT, requiring milling/drilling a new hole in the B6 LCA (thus losing some camber adjustability offered by the MKII TT ball joints).

Attached photo has B6 LCA on left, MKII TT LCA on right. Differences are slight...right lower hole on TT arm is farther from the topmost hole.

I ultimately purchased MKII TT LCAs to run the TT ball joint w/o any modifications. (Ball joints mate to B6 Passat Al spindles w/o modification.)

I haven't personally pressed out the outer tierod insert, however it appears it is just that easy. They're steel to mate w/ the steel ball joint tapers.

Attachments

• 20201002_165915.jpg
    20201002_165915.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 219

RPF JUAN

I just went through some of this, though w/ a B6 Passat Al spindle instead...

Regarding the MKII TT ball joint w/ B6 LCA...the ball joint hole patterns are different b/w Passat and TT, requiring milling/drilling a new hole in the B6 LCA (thus losing some camber adjustability offered by the MKII TT ball joints).

Attached photo has B6 LCA on left, MKII TT LCA on right. Differences are slight...right lower hole on TT arm is farther from the topmost hole.

I ultimately purchased MKII TT LCAs to run the TT ball joint w/o any modifications. (Ball joints mate to B6 Passat Al spindles w/o modification.)

I haven't personally pressed out the outer tierod insert, however it appears it is just that easy. They're steel to mate w/ the steel ball joint tapers.

I did see your reply way back when, but I’ve decided to bring this thread back from the dead after doing the TT spindle conversion. Thank you for your help and info

As mentioned earlier, the 2010 GTI rack with TT spindles should in theory provide the fastest steering ratio; so that’s what I did. I milled down the ends of the rack to maximize inner tie rod thread engagement.
Steering response is lacklustre compared to mk7/8, but it’s much better than OE from 2007.

I used mk2 TT inner/outer tierods, TT spindle, and B6 Passat lca/ball joint.

In an ideal world, I would use the mk2 TT lca and ball joint because the b6 Passat units are limiting negative camber, but increased track width isn’t an option with 9.4” section width tires.

Something that has me scratching my head is how to adjust caster. Is there an aftermarket LCA that solves this issue?