GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil stains in the driveway :(

Howcanifixthis?

Passed Driver's Ed
Alrighty so my mk6 is leaking oil and im not sure why. My local VW dealership said it was leaking from the drain plug. So i purchased 2 drain plugs during my visit... I did an oil change and put the new plug in. I have noticed the leak has not stopped! There are stains in my driveway that are just the same as if i haven't replaced the plug.

What could be causing this or what can i do? Im really just looking for advice/opinons on causes. I will get under the car and watch for dripping oil. I already know it is coming from the seal/plug as iv'e witnessed it run and drip from there. I'd imagine if replacing the plug didn't fix it i must have another problem Should i just replace the oil pan (or whatever it is called)? Thanks

Uberryan

Banned
Check the rear main seal, and the valve cover gasket. Also check the charge pipe.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Crawl under and clean everything up with brake cleaner or any other cleaner you have. Wipe down. Drive. Recheck and trace leak. If your 100% positive it's your drain plug did you use a new crush washer when you torqued it down? Did you torque it down? Are you using the t45 drain plug or the hex plug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
im gonna guess its the PCV hose which goes from the PCV back to the intake.. Mine leaks there because of blowby and the clip being semi broke from repeated intake installs.

that hose with the heat foil on it.
check it for oil on the bottom side... mine drips down over time and it makes the back of my engine dirty with oil residue all the way down to the drain plug. But i dont really clean it up and my oil levels never really drop a lot so im back burning it.

relic1

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the exact same symptoms.
After getting the car up on the lift, cleaning the area then we waited for the drip to form. After a few minutes it was obvious that it was still from the drain plug. Two plugs and two new crush washers later, still dripping.

They tried to blame the last place that did the oil change, but stopped since I had all the paperwork (they did also) indicating that they did every change since day one. (I enjoyed that moment a little)

New pan installed, no more drips. (fortunately for me the warranty and dealership covered everything including the multiple drain/fill of the oil)

Nothing we checked showed any signs of an issue (even after examining both crush washer's surface) The only strange thing was that the threads of the pan had a notch in them at the bottom. (the new pan did not) I have no idea why that would matter since that's not the sealing point, but nothing else looked even remotely out of normal.
I say this in case you have the same odd notch in the threads. (like a kerf line running through the threads from outside to inside)