GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I've seen a couple rear diffuser on here painted gloss black and want that on my car. I am thinking of maybe trying a diy vinyl wrap it gloss instead of paint to save some cash. Any body have any input on how that would play out or any tips I should know going into it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i imagine that over time near the exhaust tips it would peel because of the heat.

i also imagine that rattle can black glossy spray paint is much cheaper that vinyl wrap. but to each their own when it comes to aesthetic mods.

Roctre

Ready to race!
Ive had mine painted gloss black with rattle cans for almost a year now it looks the same as the day I did it. You wont be able to wrap the peice unless its sanded smooth and at that point paint will be better. I tried wrapping the side skirts but it wouldn't stick so I just sanded smooth and painted it.

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
Will these fit? Dorman 939-116 steelies.

Found these on amazon, ebay, even ECS and they are cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-939-1...8&qid=1505869172&sr=8-2&keywords=5x112+16x6.5

Says they fit Mk6 Golfs and Jettas but says it will not fit GTI. Is this true? Is it because of the slightly larger calipers? All the measurements seem identical between these steelies and the ones that it says will fit the GTI. 16x6.5 ET50? Am I missing something here?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Found these on amazon, ebay, even ECS and they are cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-939-1...8&qid=1505869172&sr=8-2&keywords=5x112+16x6.5

Says they fit Mk6 Golfs and Jettas but says it will not fit GTI. Is this true? Is it because of the slightly larger calipers? All the measurements seem identical between these steelies and the ones that it says will fit the GTI. 16x6.5 ET50? Am I missing something here?

So i will not give you a yes or no either way. but a 16x6.5 wheel is REALLY skinny tire. the lug pattern is correct. I'd be weary of doing that. the offset is not specified on the linked product, so clearance on the rotors/brakes may be a factor.

Are you just looking for a winter setup?

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
So i will not give you a yes or no either way. but a 16x6.5 wheel is REALLY skinny tire. the lug pattern is correct. I'd be weary of doing that. the offset is not specified on the linked product, so clearance on the rotors/brakes may be a factor.

Are you just looking for a winter setup?

Yes, just for my wonderful Michigan winters. I did also just find this listed on craigslist: https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/wto/d/vw-snow-tires-and-steel-rims/6302006071.html

I am going to be in the milwaukee area tomorrow, and thought this might be a good buy. OEM Steelies, Conti extreme winter contacts (like new?), and those ridiculously expensive plastic VW hub caps. Only down side is I think $500 is a bit high of an asking price and he wont budge. Am I wrong? Also, these are from a Mk7, but I assume that wouldn't be an issue.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Yes, just for my wonderful Michigan winters. I did also just find this listed on craigslist: https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/wto/d/vw-snow-tires-and-steel-rims/6302006071.html

I am going to be in the milwaukee area tomorrow, and thought this might be a good buy. OEM Steelies, Conti extreme winter contacts (like new?), and those ridiculously expensive plastic VW hub caps. Only down side is I think $500 is a bit high of an asking price and he wont budge. Am I wrong? Also, these are from a Mk7, but I assume that wouldn't be an issue.

should be ok. confirm the tread on the tires and that the offset when you go look at it. can offer $400 cash if the tires are at the appropriate tread depth. penny test that shit.

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
should be ok. confirm the tread on the tires and that the offset when you go look at it. can offer $400 cash if the tires are at the appropriate tread depth. penny test that shit.

I already offered 400, then 450. Shot me down. He did send me another picture though. Should I go for it at 500? Seems like I could buy brand new for only a little more....

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 113

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
That's not a terrible price (especially considering that winter is coming up & everyone is going to be looking) for a set that is "two months old", mounted & balanced, and ready to bolt on

Figure the wheels are ~$200/new
Tires are probably ~$400/new
The caps are ~$80-100/new

If that doesn't work out....here are some cheaper, new, steelies btw:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-62-76521s

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I already offered 400, then 450. Shot me down. He did send me another picture though. Should I go for it at 500? Seems like I could buy brand new for only a little more....

I just looked up these tires & wheels on Tire Rack.com. They are $698 plus shipping to your place. I'd offer $475 IF the tires are in good condition. Check the date code on the tires too. Good luck.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

cant hurt to go look at them but i wouldn't pay more than 450, personally. and that is dependent upon the wear on the tires.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
400 - 450 over the internet is easy to say no to but 450 cash in his sight is a lot harder to say no to imo.

I always tend to negotiate what i really want when im in person

Remeber to meet up somewhere public, my local police station has 2 parking spots in their parking lot with cameras that are designated as a "buy/sell section" for those craigslist deals and other online met swaps.

12bluemk6

Ready to race!
Hey guys, long story short I have an fx350 in my GTI and it is now slipping. Trying to decide on a replacement but that's besides the point. Anyways...

I've been thinking back to when I got it installed and I was supposed to be getting an fx350 with smfw. It chattered quite a bit so I always assumed this was a sign that it was in fact smfw. Thinking back to when It was installed, the guy showed me the ORIGINAL clutch after removal. However I don't remember him.showing me a flywheel. This could just be me thinking about it too much, but what are the chances I was scammed into paying double for a clutch and PP instead of a full kit like I was supposed to receive? Obviously I'd like to pull the trans and take a look however I'm trying to save that for when I install the new clutch myself. Any opinions/thoughts? Does a dmfw fx350 chatter a lot? Any input is appreciated. The thought that I got screwed over is really pissing me off. It's slipping at <30,000 miles. I can tell you that if he doesn't want to offer a fix and I find a dmfw in there, I will be making sure that everyone knows he is a scammer.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
I'm not sure the fx350 supports dmfw. Mine specifically came with a flywheel. But their site lists this one, and it does not say smfw only.
http://www.clutchmasters.com/fx350-17375-hdff-r/
So they must have a dmfw variant. Perhaps thats the one you got? Depends on the price you paid, it might be correct

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk