GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 GTI Oil Drain Plug - Hex Key (Allen Key)

mk6cruzen

Ready to race!
Any updates on possible leaks after replacing the hex type bolt with the standard bolt? I plan to complete my first oil change in the morning and bought the bolt below from ECS. I currently have the hex allen bolt on my 2012.

...Sent from my phone with typos...

P

plac

Any updates on possible leaks after replacing the hex type bolt with the standard bolt? I plan to complete my first oil change in the morning and bought the bolt below from ECS. I currently have the hex allen bolt on my 2012.

i think the hex allen bolt is better personally.

mk6cruzen

Ready to race!
Should I just reuse the hex allen tomorrow and plan on buying another or a fumoto valve for the 2nd oil change?

mk6cruzen

Ready to race!
Well, I reused the hex allen today. I may have added a tad bit to much oil, but will check it again later and drain a tad out if I need to. I will also keep on eye on it and make sure I have no leaks. I need to order a Fumoto valve to make life easier.

Can anyone with the Fumoto valve tell me if it's possible to drain just a little oil with them, if someone accidently overfills, can they be cracked open slightly?

P

plac

how do you add too much oil? you put in 5 quarts and forget about it. i've done that on my last 10 oil changes and its perfect.

mk6cruzen

Ready to race!
5 qts was about 1/2 a qt to much. I was only able to lift the passenger side of the car, due to my jack stands being to tall. I think this angle caused less oil to drain out. This was my first oil change at 5700k miles and it will be done again at 10k. I changed the filter too, but for the next change I will jack up both sides, after I buy some smaller jack stands. The ones I have I used for my FJ Cruiser and they wouldn't fit in their lowest position. I have more oil and will keep checking it, but I don't want to run it far overfilled. Checked it cold and warm, and it had to much.

Well, I reused the hex allen today. I may have added a tad bit to much oil, but will check it again later and drain a tad out if I need to. I will also keep on eye on it and make sure I have no leaks. I need to order a Fumoto valve to make life easier.

Can anyone with the Fumoto valve tell me if it's possible to drain just a little oil with them, if someone accidently overfills, can they be cracked open slightly?

It's a valve. Of course you can. Open and close at will.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Additionally, on these newer 2.0T's, you crack the 18mm to remove it and it immediately leaks out, almost as if the threads do not seal all the way in.

Had this happen on mine when I did my first change (my factory plug was the standard style, not hex key). Was crazy, gunked up a pair of nice mechanics gloves (normally I use the mechanics gloves to remove and loosen everything, then I switch to latex to remove the plug and remove the filter). I cracked the bolt and it hadn't even made a half turn and oil is pouring out.

Also, a thought to ponder about the dealers using suction over drain. The filters are now accessible from the engine bay, so if you then eliminate the drain there is NO reason to lift the vehicle. Oil changes can be done much quicker and without using up a lift bay needed for more serious repairs/services. I wouldn't jump all over the fact that the dealers use them to immediately state that suction is "better". It has a purpose and it is easier and for most cars it makes no difference. But for people like us, is having it be easy more important? Or do we care a little more.

Someone with one of the suction systems should use it, then lift the car and pull the drain plug. Be interesting to see how much is left, and what is in it.

Personally, I plan to swap my plug out with a magnetic one to keep an eye on wear which will require draining.

P

plac

with the numerous good reviews of the Fumoto plug, ill prob install it next time i change the oil.

mk6cruzen

Ready to race!
Yeah, I think I will do the Fumoto next time as well. It will make it very easy to change the oil. However, the new hex allen bolt is nice and seems to be built to reuse safely. I will keep an eye out for any leaks on it. I torqued it down to 23lbs, 1lb over the specified 22lbs.

mk6cruzen

Ready to race!
It's a valve. Of course you can. Open and close at will.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've seen valves that there was no inbetween, it was either open to far or closed. Those didn't work well to slowly drain. Hence, why I asked about the Fumoto.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Wish I found this thread before reading other DIY guides that led me to think my 2012 would have the standard 18mm plug :(

So I have the recessed hex plug also so I'm going to pick this set of sockets up:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-evolv-7-pc-hex-bit-socket-set/p-00910058000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Any further updates on whether I can just re-use the existing plug and not worry about leaks? Does it have a crush washer attached? Or just be safe and buy new set and replace each time?

How about the ECS plug with this oil pan? Anyone having good luck w/ their magnetic plug and copper washer combo?

GTIProject

Ready to race!
VW/Audi have actually issued a new updated drain plug (using a 10mm alum crush washer) to replace both the 18mm plugs and the 6mm hex plugs. Techs have been having issues with removing the 18mm plugs, and having the brand new 19mm plugs leaking after being torqued to spec. Newer pans designed for the 6mm hex were built with the 18mm bolt installed and the washer +paint sealed the oil. As soon as the bolt was unscrewed, the seal with lost and it would leak oil.

Basically if you crack the drain bolt loose and it leaks oil immediately, replace with the updated T45 torx bolt + crush washer. Most VW/Audi dealers stock it and know what it is. I'll try and post a picture and a PN tomorrow.

P

plac

Basically if you crack the drain bolt loose and it leaks oil immediately, replace with the updated T45 torx bolt + crush washer. Most VW/Audi dealers stock it and know what it is. I'll try and post a picture and a PN tomorrow.

good info.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
VW/Audi have actually issued a new updated drain plug (using a 10mm alum crush washer) to replace both the 18mm plugs and the 6mm hex plugs. Techs have been having issues with removing the 18mm plugs, and having the brand new 19mm plugs leaking after being torqued to spec. Newer pans designed for the 6mm hex were built with the 18mm bolt installed and the washer +paint sealed the oil. As soon as the bolt was unscrewed, the seal with lost and it would leak oil.

Great info! Please try and get the part # at least so I can take it to the dealer parts desk. I don't want them selling me the wrong parts and wasting an extra trip.

How re-usable are these new bolt/crush washer combos? Replace each time or few times?