GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 GTI Oil Drain Plug - Hex Key (Allen Key)

P

plac

my drain plug has always dribbled the second i knocked it loose. but that was my normal 18mm one. only just installed my hex, so next oil change ill see if it dribbles. if it does, i'll have the torx one in my hand to replace it. or.. a fumoto and be done messing with it for good.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
my drain plug has always dribbled the second i knocked it loose. but that was my normal 18mm one. only just installed my hex, so next oil change ill see if it dribbles. if it does, i'll have the torx one in my hand to replace it. or.. a fumoto and be done messing with it for good.

Plac - never went the ECS magnetic plug + copper washer route?

P

plac

Plac - never went the ECS magnetic plug + copper washer route?

not that huge a deal for me. mine never really leaked. until like my 3rd oil change, then i got a new oil pan. i probably didnt need to now that all this info is out.. a proper plug that didn't dribble would have probably fixed it.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Have you guys tried supplementing the crush washer with a paper or rubber gasket?

mk6cruzen

Ready to race!
Good info. I checked my hex allen last night and it was dry. I will check it again tonight. Regardless, next oil change I will replace it. Let us know the PN on the new torx bolt if you can. Thanks again.

...Sent from my phone with typos...

GTIProject

Ready to race!
Actually bought a torx bolt and washer today at work, have the invoice at work as well. Will take some pictures.

GTIProject

Ready to race!
UPDATE: Torx plug is PN N91 167 901, crush washer is a standard VW/Audi aluminum round washer. Pictures comming, they are on my phone and need to upload them first.

P

plac

UPDATE: Torx plug is PN N91 167 901, crush washer is a standard VW/Audi aluminum round washer. Pictures comming, they are on my phone and need to upload them first.

only $1.71 at my online dealer. but shippings prob $10. maybe a local dealer has it..

GTIProject

Ready to race!
Aforementioned pictures;

P

plac

i dunno.. my hex plug seems fine. can't see how its much different from the torx one. i guess i'll find out next time i change the oil and check for dribble.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
only $1.71 at my online dealer.

... but how much is shipping? :) I'll probably run to the local dealer and just pick one up.

Any idea how reusable the torx plugs are? Plug lasts X oil changes and just replace the washer type deal?

GTIProject

Ready to race!
Yeah, don't know why they changed the drive type, but techline tells us its a different type of metal than the older hex-head ones to prevent galling of the threads, and its not painted.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, don't know why they changed the drive type, but techline tells us its a different type of metal than the older hex-head ones to prevent galling of the threads, and its not painted.

Just got off the phone with my local dealer to check on stock of the torx plug. Got that in stock but the tech said that per the computer, the plug just installs on its own without any type of washer on a 2012 GTI.

Did your tech see something different on his computer that would show the need for the washer? If so, can you give me the part # for that too?

Thanks!

GTIProject

Ready to race!
The plug seals with a washer. Don't know the part number off hand, but its a round crush washer, but the washer itself is round in circumference, rather than flat. Audi dealers have them for all 3.2/4.2/3.0T motors.

You need to use a washer with it.