GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Forge catch can installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
Must you remove the noise pipe? What if someone plans on using it for a DV relocation in the future?

And is there going to be any way to fit the tubing through the stock cutout?

Last edited:

dennybak

Ready to race!
Must you remove the noise pipe? What if someone plans on using it for a DV relocation in the future?

Forge said it will not fit the stock cut out unless you place the catch can on the right side (no space). I even asked this question and they said they made it that way since it looks better. I personally would want to use the stock cut out, but unfortunately it doesnt.

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion

Yes, the OEM noise pipe must be removed. It's location/proximity to the passenger side headlight will simply not allow enough room for the tank. The earlier FSI motor has a differently shaped noise pipe so this was not an issue and this same tank would fit just fine with it, but VW decided to change the noise pipe for the TSI motor and this particular tank will simply not fit.

Rather completely redesign a new smaller tank for the TSI motor, which is still within the same engine bay as a MK5 with an FSI motor, and since most people want the largest possible tank they can get anyway, we chose to remove the noise pipe.

We are looking into potentially offering our own valve relocation setup soon that will utilize a flexible return hose that can more easily be routed out of the way rather than a rigid hard pipe that is takes up otherwise usable space.

Right now, the supplied tubing will not extend through the cutout in the stock cover. You will need to make a small relief hole in the cover or use your own supplied longer tubing.

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
Forge said it will not fit the stock cut out unless you place the catch can on the right side (no space). I even asked this question and they said they made it that way since it looks better. I personally would want to use the stock cut out, but unfortunately it doesnt.

I was thinking that it was possible just to use their hose to exit through the stock cutout then use an elbow to redirect it directly to the passenger's side.

Yes, the OEM noise pipe must be removed. It's location/proximity to the passenger side headlight will simply not allow enough room for the tank. The earlier FSI motor has a differently shaped noise pipe so this was not an issue and this same tank would fit just fine with it, but VW decided to change the noise pipe for the TSI motor and this particular tank will simply not fit.

Rather completely redesign a new smaller tank for the TSI motor, which is still within the same engine bay as a MK5 with an FSI motor, and since most people want the largest possible tank they can get anyway, we chose to remove the noise pipe.

We are looking into potentially offering our own valve relocation setup soon that will utilize a flexible return hose that can more easily be routed out of the way rather than a rigid hard pipe that is takes up otherwise usable space.

Right now, the supplied tubing will not extend through the cutout in the stock cover. You will need to make a small relief hole in the cover or use your own supplied longer tubing.

Nice theory, nice product, and I hope to see your solutions soon!

:thumbsup:

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie
Say what...?

If either of you were serious about having a cc, then you wouldn't let this bother you.

Really? How did you become the 'authority' on catch cans?

FYI I am serious about a "cc" and I would like it to fit without any cutting. As Forge Mike said: It would work at stock cutout location if I "use (my) own supplied longer tubing". IMO it looks alot better and functions just as well using the stock cutout location. Just because the OP decided to cut his own hole doesn't make me any less serious because I don't want to cut mine.

Summary: A nice looking product that would be alot nicer if it fit without cutting the expensive engine cover. Peace '83.

Last edited:

dennybak

Ready to race!
If either of you were serious about having a cc, then you wouldn't let this bother you.

dsm, maybe people dont want be cutting through there engine cover. Ever think about that? its not a matter of functionality, its a matter of aesthetics. Not everybody is a hardcore racer like you.

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
Though the OEM PCV assembly has two hoses, it is only ever venting through one of them at any given time. It vents thru the front hose to the intake manifold when the manifold is under vacuum. When the manifold sees boost pressure, a check valve closes and switches to venting the PCV gases to the turbo inlet via the rear hose.

Once you bypass the intake manifold, and vent to the turbo inlet continuously, there is no need for anything more than one outlet.

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
Yes, it will fit both CCTA and CBFA engine codes. There is no difference between them regarding the PCV system.

I will post pricing and an ETA as soon as I have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.