GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wait, What? Pearl Black MK6

Up is Down

Passed Driver's Ed
It starts with a 2012 MK6 2 door 6 speed and goes downhill from here.I wasn't going to mod this since from the factory it feels pretty good. As always one little thing leads to another and the mod-ride begins. Funny thing is, my modding on this started with a flat tire.

After I got done changing a flat I looked at the car and the 4X4 status was killing me, I had to lower it. But before I could even look for info on springs/coilovers, A truck threw up a rock to my windshield.

good times...Anyway after that repair the first thing I did was tighten up the suspension: SPM Drivers springs. Feel better than stock. drops about an inch. looks good to me. Chris from SouthernStreetTuning & Detail did the install, Good dude.

While the car was getting springs we put on a rear SPM swaybar, Beefy:

I'm going to talk about the handling of the SPM springs and swaybar. I'm not a paid spokesperson, I'm not sponsored by anyone and I'm not looking for that, I'm just a guy who likes quality stuff and I'm willing to pay for it. that being said I'm not spending a gazillion dollars on a handling setup for my daily driver until I get my (insert exotic car). After reading countless reviews, message boards, installers, etc, I decided on SPM stuff after seeing the quality of the welds on a muffler that my installer had at his house. You can tell a lot about a company by something as simple as the beading on the welds or the quality of the Stainless steel they use for a piece most people aren't going to see. After my springs and swaybar came I was hooked. SPM is QUALITY stuff. My car now handles much tighter and rides smoother than stock, along with dropping the 4X4 status. You cant beat that.

Then I ordered some rear DEPO Dark Cherry Red LED's from One Perfect Dose and an OEM Euroswitch with the yellow wire off of fleabay:

These fit with no problems and came with everything you need. It was a 20 minute install, no codes, no problems. At night these look insane.

The euroswitch was wired up correctly but I can't get my fogs to work independently. It also seems like all the DIY's have dissapeared from all the websites for Halogen equipped cars. Still working on that.

and two days later had my SPM "Street" muffler installed:

This muffler; It should be displayed as Industrial art. The welds are beautiful if you like mechanical objects it will make you appreciate the skill of TIG welding. Sounds good, no drone. I do need to center it a little better though.
Another shot:

Will add better pics and fill in some info as my build thread continues...

Last edited:

Up is Down

Passed Driver's Ed
So I come home and what's waiting for me? A painting project for my new Euro spoiler that I got off Ebay for a whole $99.00. This is after sending back the one piece spoiler I first ordered. This particular one is the one that fits...

it came with hardware:

so I got some Dupli-Color paint and prep supplies and went to town.
First I wiped it down with alcohol and sanded it with 1000 grit and then 1600 grit paper,

then wiped it down with Dupli-Color prep strips:

Then coats of Black Pearl and Black Metallic with 3 coats each and then 3 coats of clear...

Suckin' fumes in a nice enclosed space...

I love painting so much<sarcasm>.

Up is Down

Passed Driver's Ed
Now it's just drying time for the Euro spoiler and then I'm going to install this weekend. My skills as a painter are getting better with every attempt and its due to prepping what your going to paint. Body shop guys always tell me prep is everything and I believe it.

I'm gonna let this dry for 2 days and then install it along with what came for me today...

The packaging and packing was great, I can't wait to install.

reedsposer22

Ready to race!
Neat build thread, looking forward to watching this unfold.

Up is Down

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I had to wait to put on the AFE Intake and Euro-lip so I decided to do a true DIY project. Plasti-Dip the red GTI stripes in front:

Started with:

Then taped off the grill:

Taping up the car took about an hour and I'm glad I used Flexi-Dip instead of permanent paint. If you mess up you can always peel it off and yep, I messed up. So as a tip for others who are gonna do this, take off your outline tape while the last coat is still wet or wait until your project is completely dry and use a razor to trim. I just peeled the tap after it was dry without cutting and it came out bad. Also use 3M painters tape not Home Depot blu-tape. The Home-Depot Blu-tape SUCKS, It let the Flexi-Dip bleed through and wouldn't stick after a while. Stay Away from the imitation stuff, trust me.
So I get to do this again-Can't wait...

Up is Down

Passed Driver's Ed
Ebay Spoiler installed today, here's the link to the 2 piece for those looking for a cheaper alternative:

came with hardware, clicked right together, installed in 15 minutes.

installed without even putting the car on jackstands:

Last edited:

Up is Down

Passed Driver's Ed
There are plenty of video's showing the installation of Intakes so here's a quick before and after of my AFE Intake:

Before:

Middle:

After:

This is without the engine cover but complete. Everything fit, minor hang-ups, quality product though. Definitely felt a difference after about an hour of driving. Revs a little quicker, feels a little stronger up the rev range, and feels more responsive to throttle inputs. Worth the money for the mod.