GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shaved bumper question..

9V7W3

Ready to race!
Hey guys.. Unfortunately I just hit some ice and cracked my front bumper on my R :-(.. Anyway I was going to have the body shop shave the side marker lights on the new bumper but do I need to add a resistor or anything to prevent throwing a code without the lights in the car?

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
pull the bulbs and see what happens? I believe the golf r might be coded to have LED DRLs so it might not throw a code for the side marker bulbs, since enabling that function on halogen GTIs disable the error codes.

If you have euro LED tails, you wont have to run the sidemarker bulbs either

9V7W3

Ready to race!
pull the bulbs and see what happens? I believe the golf r might be coded to have LED DRLs so it might not throw a code for the side marker bulbs, since enabling that function on halogen GTIs disable the error codes.

Hm, ok.. I'll have the body shop pull them and see what happens. I don't have LED tails yet but was planning on it with euro switch.

Vic@APR

Ready to race!

That is correct. I have a shaved front end on my R and you will need to re-code your car to ROW otherwise you will get a bulb out error

9V7W3

Ready to race!
That is correct. I have a shaved front end on my R and you will need to re-code your car to ROW otherwise you will get a bulb out error

I haven't used the code system yet in these cars, is there a specific code string that has to have it's value changed or something? I'd buy the cable and do it myself but spending too much $$ right now, just want to make sure I know what to tell my shop in case they haven't done that particular coding before..

GianquiMan

Passed Driver's Ed
IMO you might as well enable city lights if you're going to get rid of the side markers. A VERY cheap and easy way to do it is just get some extensions to plug into your existing side marker sockets (lots on ebay), splice the extension into the city light socket wires, (already in your headlight doing nothing, it even has a bulb already) and VOILA! You now have city lights, and your car won't give out a bulb error cause you are still using the same circuit. The headlight cap will still fit with the wires coming out of it (I wrapped mine with some electrical tape for extra protection), just a little tight. I also taped up all connecting points very well. If for some reason you ever need to go back to sidemarkers, it only takes a few minutes cause your original sockets are still intact.

9V7W3

Ready to race!
IMO you might as well enable city lights if you're going to get rid of the side markers. A VERY cheap and easy way to do it is just get some extensions to plug into your existing side marker sockets (lots on ebay), splice the extension into the city light socket wires, (already in your headlight doing nothing, it even has a bulb already) and VOILA! You now have city lights, and your car won't give out a bulb error cause you are still using the same circuit. The headlight cap will still fit with the wires coming out of it (I wrapped mine with some electrical tape for extra protection), just a little tight. I also taped up all connecting points very well. If for some reason you ever need to go back to sidemarkers, it only takes a few minutes cause your original sockets are still intact.

GREAT idea.. I completely forgot about those! I think someone did a write up on them as soon as I bought the car.. I gotta find it, don't remember the wire color..

Thanks!