GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

End of Warranty - oil Change

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the info irishbri. That pump looks pretty slick, and pretty compact overall.

That's better than sucking on an old garden hose to create vacuum. :) :) :)

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the info irishbri. That pump looks pretty slick, and pretty compact overall.

That's better than sucking on an old garden hose to create vacuum. :) :) :)

No prob...yeah....the one thing is that you have to apply a little pressure to the hose to get it fully sunk into the oil pan....not sure if it is slight bends in the path or plenums of some sort....not a big deal but thw first time it was a little unnerving....

Forgive my ignorance, but does the top down method with a pump suck the oil through the oil filler tube?

Yep....you run one tube down the tube and the other to wherever you want to collect the oil....I just use the 5 qt jug from my last change ...

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
I'd guess the topside oil change would leave a bit in the bottom of the pan. Probably the same as the Fumoto valve does. No big deal me thinks.

For me I've always enjoyed getting under my cars & looking around while I wait for the oil to drain. Topside, Fumoto or pulling the drain plug all do the same job. Pick your poison.

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
If you're patent, and don't mind running the pump close to dry for a few minutes I'd say you can actually get more oil out than any other method....short of jacking the car up opposite the drain hole....

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
I've been using a Pella extractor for many years and would not go back to going under the car to remove the oil drain plug. Warm the engine up, take a short drive. Mine uses the oil dipstick tube and it is manual so needs to be pumped up about 10 strokes to create vacuum.
I do an under car inspection twice a year when going from summer to winter tires and winter to summer tyres.

robeeeerob

Go Kart Champion
I'd guess the topside oil change would leave a bit in the bottom of the pan. Probably the same as the Fumoto valve does. No big deal me thinks.

For me I've always enjoyed getting under my cars & looking around while I wait for the oil to drain. Topside, Fumoto or pulling the drain plug all do the same job. Pick your poison.

I, too, love getting under my car and looking around. I seriously have spents minutes upon mintues just laying there on my creeper, admiring the engineering involved.

I've been using a Pella extractor for many years and would not go back to going under the car to remove the oil drain plug. Warm the engine up, take a short drive. Mine uses the oil dipstick tube and it is manual so needs to be pumped up about 10 strokes to create vacuum.
I do an under car inspection twice a year when going from summer to winter tires and winter to summer tyres.

I am really considering getting the extractor, because I plan on keeping this car forever, and want to preserve the threads on my oil pan drain as long as possible. Then again, I could just continue drain plug oil changes, and get the threads re-done eventually, or get a new oil pan when necessary (yrs from now)? hahaha :w00t:

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
The drain plugs wear out?? The most miles I've put on a car is 225,000 oil changed every 3,000 miles & no the drain plug threads did not wear out. :rolleyes:

Bored Engineer

I have another question (this thread has got me thinking as I always make a mess doing an oil change from below)

The pump sucks the oil from the sump so you don't have to go under the car to do an oil change. What about the filter? Does the pump pull the oil from the filter and can it be changed from above? (I am also thinking of doing this on our Ram 1500 as the oil filter is above the PAS unit.)

How often do you change the filter? With every oil change? This was all less critical on my NA Subaru RS, but I think the R deserves better :)

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion