GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Almost Traded my MK6 for an RS today

93serprise

Ready to race!
I don't aim to be the fastest car in the street. My pockets will never be deep enough for that to happen. I ABSOLUTELY love my car though, and the fact that it is not a common vehicle where I live makes it even more fun to drive. I get a kick out of surprising a lot of big domestic muscle cars, and that is good enough for me to be honest. It is a very well balanced car that I can use to haul shit in, have fun in, and my wife can easily drive it if needed.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Here is what I have spent so far to reach K04 status :)

K04 Kit by CTS Turbo--1900.00 through modded Euros
Tune for the K04 by Unitronic--750.00 (had APR but switched recently)
Godspeed Downpipe from Ebay--300.00
DSG Stage 2 tune by Unitronic--750.00
Neuspeed FMIC--700.00
K04 Top--150.00
CTS Turbo throttle pipe--150.00
SPM rear sway bar--150.00
Unibrace XB--350.00
Eurosport Rear brace--125.00
Tyrolsport caliper stiffeners--100.00
IE Intake--350.00

Labor for K04 install--550.00

6175 plus taxes...so probably around 7k or so.

So you installed the Nuespeed I/C yourself? I like the FMIC idea they have but it looks like a PITA to install. How much for installation for everything? I used to turn wrenches much more in the past, but due to a back injury I am unable to be crawling on the floor and such any more. Sadly I will be dependent on help in that area. What is a KO4-TOP? I am not familiar with what that is?

Jeff

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Driver mod plays a big factor here, but every RS I've encountered at the track has quickly gotten passed by me in my lowly gti.

I understand such. I mean when I had my Evo 9 MR that I turned many wrenches on I would pass all kinds of High End cars on the Track, Especially at Chuckawalla Raceway.

I think people that buy these cars are noobs and are learning for the first time to drive on a track and they drive slow. I think the RS is very capable on the track in the right hands and would be a great car to learn on. Seems to be very forgiving.

To have a GTI at that level cost money though. Yes cheaper than buying an RS no doubt but still not cheap.

I am not sure how the DSG is on the track either. Never have tracked this car, I do know in the Evo world the X MR with a Dual Clutch would over heat on the track, does this happen to the DSG equipped cars?

I would need an LSD on this GTI too but not sure who in my area can install it, and $$$$.

Thoughts?

Jeff

93serprise

Ready to race!
The K04 Top is a Turbo Outlet pipe that I purchased from Neuspeed that helps with throttle response and probably a few hp gains based on other reviews/dyno sheets that I have seen floating around online. The I/C was not bad to install at all, and I consider myself to be slightly above a noob when it comes to mechanic skills. Electronics is my forte :)

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I understand such. I mean when I had my Evo 9 MR that I turned many wrenches on I would pass all kinds of High End cars on the Track, Especially at Chuckawalla Raceway.

I think people that buy these cars are noobs and are learning for the first time to drive on a track and they drive slow. I think the RS is very capable on the track in the right hands and would be a great car to learn on. Seems to be very forgiving.

To have a GTI at that level cost money though. Yes cheaper than buying an RS no doubt but still not cheap.

I am not sure how the DSG is on the track either. Never have tracked this car, I do know in the Evo world the X MR with a Dual Clutch would over heat on the track, does this happen to the DSG equipped cars?

I would need an LSD on this GTI too but not sure who in my area can install it, and $$$$.

Thoughts?

Jeff

To track a gti properly does cost a bit of money yes, but as you said it is surely cheaper than an RS.

I agree that a lot of the people buying them probably have no real driving experience and they could be pretty decent in the right hands.

The dsg don't overheat a lot from what I've heard. Not sure though, mine is manual.

And an LSD in this car is a complete game changer.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
how much faster are you looking to go? if you can easily afford it then its a tough decision but if youre enjoying no monthly car payment, why not try stage 2 or k04 in the GTI? you might be pleasantly suprised

Its the old car Proverb "IF speed equals money how fast can you afford to go" that is very true. Its not about the "speed" actually. Its more about capability for me.

I never bought the GTI with plans on modding it or tracking it, honestly I dont care much for FWD track cars, only exemption may be an ACURA Itegrea Type R of yesteryear or the new Type R Civic.

On my past builds all my "tracked" cars were AWD. Mainly Evo's. I have owned and tracked an Evo 8, 2 Evo 9's and a X. All these Evo's were turn key track cars. I did absolutely nothing to 2 of these cars and spanked people at the track first week I bought the car haha. After I modded them? Well you better have some serious drivers skill or something $100k plus to keep up. But that was the past....this is now.

The GTI is a great car, is why I bought one, but I got into some legal trouble through Divorce, then in a rage went driving home one day in my Evo 9 and some idiot almost ran me off the road so I said to myself OH ITS ON, So I went after him to get the plates. Well, after dude that cut me off ran a few stop signs and such, which I did not, a Sheriff Lit me up, said I was doing 130+ in a 55 zone and I thought I was done for. Sheriff said he saw what happened and told me that he could take me to jail and impound my car. He cut me a break and told me he red flagged my car to all local law enforcement and if I was caught doing 56 in a 55......I got the idea, I was a marked man. After the divorce and losing my shorts, I wanted a new start. I was at my friends shop in San Diego and a Marine came in and asked if I would sell my Evo to him. Cash money he paid me what I paid for the car new. This particular Evo was 5 yrs old and had about 60k miles on it and it had decent mods, and was tracked. I took the offer and never looked bacck. That was in 2012.

The reason why I am telling you all this, is to tell you I am a car guy, I get it, trust me its a sickness and once the bug bites it bites hard. I am older now, been through allot of financial hardships and just dont want to make financial mistakes again, or at least limit them. Buying something turn key is good, and fixing up something is good, but you need a good solid platform to build on. I look at the VW engine bay and see so much plastic and so much that needs to be changed out. The question is, would it be worth it?

No one can answer this question for me, I realize this, I am not dumping this onto you guys and gals, just wanted some support and ideas to get my gears moving so to speak. the GTI community is pretty solid, and reminds me very much of the Evo communities. Very cool people here, and the cars are very cool....This is why the decision is very difficult.

Jeff

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
Driver mod plays a big factor here, but every RS I've encountered at the track has quickly gotten passed by me in my lowly gti.

oh I'm not laughing at that but at the fact that its true that it will run circles at an RS, but I also got a mental picture of a GTI doing circles to an RS lol

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
To track a gti properly does cost a bit of money yes, but as you said it is surely cheaper than an RS.

I agree that a lot of the people buying them probably have no real driving experience and they could be pretty decent in the right hands.

The dsg don't overheat a lot from what I've heard. Not sure though, mine is manual.

And an LSD in this car is a complete game changer.

Thank You for your input, much appreciated :thumbsup:

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie

The question I have for you is what kind of "tracking" are you talking about? I have looked through over 30 pages of your build page and see that you do what seems like AutoX mostly for track days. In my experience and I have only done a little track time on a Auto X course is you barely get out of second gear.

The track stuff I am used to is Willow Springs, Chuckawalla Raceway, Laguna Seca a few times and Streets of Willows (short track of Willow Springs) all here in California. My experience is through my Evo's of the past, and on straights at least at Big Willow would hit around 150mph, downshift, hit a turn at 100plus and mash the throttle.

Though I have never taken my GTI on a "Track" I did have the opportunity a few times on a deserted road get it up to around 120 and the GTI at least stock was very light on its feet. Actually made me feel very uncomfortable. The GTI I fear does not have the Aero from the factory to help keep it buttoned down on high speed tracks. That is a concern also I have. The Evo has all kinds of Aero, as does the STI and RS to keep the car planted. The Golf R also has allot more Aero than the GTI as well, though not as much as its competitors. People will mock the Evo and STI in particular because of the big "Wing" on the back and "Vortex Generators" and such and think they are for show. They are not. I know first hand and many car jornalists have stated this as well. Example. I drove a Evo 9 RS at Big Willow, then drove my Evo 9 MR right after. Not just myself but my friends said my car felt WAY more stable not only on the straight but the corners at high speed vs the car that basically only difference Aero wise was the Wing, Vortex Generators, Wicker Bill and the Zero lift kit that is basically Air Brake guides and a 1 inch lip on the front bumper. It made a BIG difference though.

Now, I would agree with you, an RS or anything of the like, would not really perform well on a tight course like an AutoX event. The bigger turbos take longer to spool, the Aero work never really comes into play. The GTI is better suited for this type of racing, especially with the DSG for its shorter gearing and anti lag of the turbo, yet you rarely are out of 2 or 3rd gear and you hit what MAYBE 50-60mph? Get the same cars on a "TRACK" doing 100+ and things are a TOTALLY different story here.

Am I going to do the crazy stuff I did in the past? No. Am I going to AutoX? No. Do I want to go to a "Track" Yes. Do I think the GTI is good on a track, not sure, not a high speed one just from the little I have seen and maybe if I can get the mods, and go find out it may or may not be great for it.

On paper though, even with a KO4 on an open track with the same driver doing back to back runs I bet you the RS is faster, the STI will be faster too. So the big question is, Build the GTI and hope its great on a Track for occasional use, or get a turn key car that has already been proven to do so?

Again not mocking the GTI great car, but I think we are comparing apples to oranges here. Day to day driving tough to beat a GTI and I think for AutoX duties a new MK7 GTI Sport would be king. Factory LSD, Bigger Breaks and more power right out of the box, THIS would be kick ass. That isn't what I would want to go back to though. I am looking at actual race tacks, and though I would not compete anymore, I think the GTI would be good in these conditions, just not great.

I could be wrong. Just my gut feeling. Everyone has their own experiences and we all have our goals in mind. I look at my car in the garage right now and say this...."I Wonder"........

Last edited:

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
The question I have for you is what kind of "tracking" are you talking about? I have looked through over 30 pages of your build page and see that you do what seems like AutoX mostly for track days. In my experience and I have only done a little track time on a Auto X course is you barely get out of second gear.

The track stuff I am used to is Willow Springs, Chuckawalla Raceway, Laguna Seca a few times and Streets of Willows (short track of Willow Springs) all here in California. My experience is through my Evo's of the past, and on straights at least at Big Willow would hit around 150mph, downshift, hit a turn at 100plus and mash the throttle.

Though I have never taken my GTI on a "Track" I did have the opportunity a few times on a deserted road get it up to around 120 and the GTI at least stock was very light on its feet. Actually made me feel very uncomfortable. The GTI I fear does not have the Aero from the factory to help keep it buttoned down on high speed tracks. That is a concern also I have. The Evo has all kinds of Aero, as does the STI and RS to keep the car planted. The Golf R also has allot more Aero than the GTI as well, though not as much as its competitors. People will mock the Evo and STI in particular because of the big "Wing" on the back and "Vortex Generators" and such and think they are for show. They are not. I know first hand and many car jornalists have stated this as well. Example. I drove a Evo 9 RS at Big Willow, then drove my Evo 9 MR right after. Not just myself but my friends said my car felt WAY more stable not only on the straight but the corners at high speed vs the car that basically only difference Aero wise was the Wing, Vortex Generators, Wicker Bill and the Zero lift kit that is basically Air Brake guides and a 1 inch lip on the front bumper. It made a BIG difference though.

Now, I would agree with you, an RS or anything of the like, would not really perform well on a tight course like an AutoX event. The bigger turbos take longer to spool, the Aero work never really comes into play. The GTI is better suited for this type of racing, especially with the DSG for its shorter gearing and anti lag of the turbo, yet you rarely are out of 2 or 3rd gear and you hit what MAYBE 50-60mph? Get the same cars on a "TRACK" doing 100+ and things are a TOTALLY different story here.

Am I going to do the crazy stuff I did in the past? No. Am I going to AutoX? No. Do I want to go to a "Track" Yes. Do I think the GTI is good on a track, not sure, not a high speed one just from the little I have seen and maybe if I can get the mods, and go find out it may or may not be great for it.

On paper though, even with a KO4 on an open track with the same driver doing back to back runs I bet you the RS is faster, the STI will be faster too. So the big question is, Build the GTI and hope its great on a Track for occasional use, or get a turn key car that has already been proven to do so?

Again not mocking the GTI great car, but I think we are comparing apples to oranges here. Day to day driving tough to beat a GTI and I think for AutoX duties a new MK7 GTI Sport would be king. Factory LSD, Bigger Breaks and more power right out of the box, THIS would be kick ass. That isn't what I would want to go back to though. I am looking at actual race tacks, and though I would not compete anymore, I think the GTI would be good in these conditions, just not great.

I could be wrong. Just my gut feeling. Everyone has their own experiences and we all have our goals in mind. I look at my car in the garage right now and say this...."I Wonder"........
[/URL][/IMG]

I dabbled with autox a few years ago, but now I do about 10 HPDE days a year on road courses, Autobahn (Joliet IL), Gingerman (South Haven MI), Grattan (Belding MI), Blackhawk Farms (South Beloit IL), Road America (Elkhart Lake WI), Putnam Park (Indianapolis IN)

GTI's definitely need some things to handle good on a road course like sway bars, mounts and bushings. Not turn key at all like you said.

I actually didn't think the gti did very well at autox. 2nd gear is very torquey I thought there were much better platforms for that style of driving. For the record I think there are much better platforms for road course driving as well than the GTI but I have to say, once you dump some money into it, the thing does VERY well on the track.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I dabbled with autox a few years ago, but now I do about 10 HPDE days a year on road courses, Autobahn (Joliet IL), Gingerman (South Haven MI), Grattan (Belding MI), Blackhawk Farms (South Beloit IL), Road America (Elkhart Lake WI), Putnam Park (Indianapolis IN)

GTI's definitely need some things to handle good on a road course like sway bars, mounts and bushings. Not turn key at all like you said.

I actually didn't think the gti did very well at autox. 2nd gear is very torquey I thought there were much better platforms for that style of driving. For the record I think there are much better platforms for road course driving as well than the GTI but I have to say, once you dump some money into it, the thing does VERY well on the track.

Yes, so you see my Dilemma here? Either way I go will cost money, so its either a car payment for something turn key, or money to mod.

Tough choice for sue..

Thanks everyone, really do appreciate the input.

Jeff