GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

need ideas for places to change oil

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
So my condo association sucks balls and wont let me change my oil on the premises. I used to do this at my brothers house but last time i did it was a cold windy day and i spilled oil on his driveway. so i havent asked again since i know it will be a no.

Thinking a public parking lot might do but dont want to get dinged for trespassing or nothing. any creative places you guys have done maintenance at before? I have some places scouted out in the bigger city nearby because im pretty sure ill get fined if i try in public places in my town.

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
I've seen plenty of people doing it in an auto parts store (Advance/Pep Boys/etc) parking lots. Just be considerate, and put a rag down.

KDOG1

Ready to race!
Agreed ^ I see it often in southern ca, I myself would be worried about getting legs ran over while under the car in a parkinglot... lots of bad drivers who don't pay attention

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Fuck it. I'd either do it in the parking lot at AutoZone or pay the $20 at American Tire for them to do it. (the one near me is reputable, so may not always be the case)

Noodle1

Ready to race!
just watch out if you do it in a parking lot and make sure your legs arent dangling out onto an empty spot, my dad got his foot ran over by a nissan pathfinder when changing the o2 sensors on his truck. Somehow and thankfully he didn't break anything

DarianBx3

Ready to race!
Get a pump off of Amazon for $30. Pop hood, put the tube in the dipstick, suck out the oil. Replace filter, put in new oil, check level. Legit takes 10 minutes. Highly recommend this to everyone, especially given your circumstances.

No jacking car, no hassle. I do all my changes like this, many others on the forum do as well. On my Q5 every time I check the maintenance report from the dealership, that is how they do it as well.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Get a pump off of Amazon for $30. Pop hood, put the tube in the dipstick, suck out the oil. Replace filter, put in new oil, check level. Legit takes 10 minutes. Highly recommend this to everyone, especially given your circumstances.

No jacking car, no hassle. I do all my changes like this, many others on the forum do as well. On my Q5 every time I check the maintenance report from the dealership, that is how they do it as well.

What this guy said. I'm sure who ever is watching your apartment complex won't even realize what your doing either of you do get spotted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaber

Modero
I've seen plenty of people doing it in an auto parts store (Advance/Pep Boys/etc) parking lots. Just be considerate, and put a rag down.

^This. Just be polite and ask. Don't do it when they're busy however.

Agreed ^ I see it often in southern ca, I myself would be worried about getting legs ran over while under the car in a parkinglot... lots of bad drivers who don't pay attention

just watch out if you do it in a parking lot and make sure your legs arent dangling out onto an empty spot, my dad got his foot ran over by a nissan pathfinder when changing the o2 sensors on his truck. Somehow and thankfully he didn't break anything

Yeah, I almost had this happen to me. When we lived in the city and had to park on the streets, changing wheels sucked.

^Best idea so far. However, you need to check the wording of your HOA rules. Some say you cannot perform ANY work on your car.

If you decide to do it on public streets, check your local laws. Many years ago, my dad got a ticket for it. They don't care if you're being careful or not. They don't want to run the risk of you spilling oil on the street or ditching the oil somewhere or even pouring it out into the environment.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I used to just go find an empty forest preserve and go to town. Be in and out in 20 min and you don't attract a lot of attention.
thats actually not a bad idea lol. as long as you clean up after... dont need no dirty oil left in a nice nature preserve.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
thanks all.

i do use an extractor pump already. makes the job a bit longer than doing it the old school way but a bit cleaner. Considering that i dont buy my oil from local auto parts stores i am unsure how it would be received with me asking if i could use their lot.