GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ST Coilover quality over time (Winter use)

ConsciousClint

I just bought a set of ST X performance coilovers. I am debating if i should install them now or wait till next season. Winter is coming. I live in MN where we get harsh winters and i don't want the new coils to rust or seize up. I had FK Streetlines on my old MK4 GTI and ran them for 2 or 3 winters back to back. They held up but after the first season i couldn't adjust height anymore because the thread were so corroded. Can anyone speak on how their ST coils did during winter months?

pamatt

Passed Driver's Ed
Just reset mine after a couple of winters in N.J. no problems.

B6JoeS4

Ready to race!
Ran a set on my B6 S4 for two Chicago winter's. They hold up fine. The bronze coating on the front is the only thing that looked a little bit crusty from the salt.

ConsciousClint

This is great news. Thanks guys. Now i can enjoy mine during the winter and not force myself to wait. I had come up with a plan to just install them for the winter then upgrade to the ST XTA's in the spring. But Ill scrap that idea now.

Sounds like as long as i keep them relatively clean they will hold up. Plus they have a 5 year warranty. So..

ahard48

Ready to race!
I just put in a set and used marine grease on threads and plan on using 3m moister sealing electrical tape on threads/collars. Also heard you can buy coilover "sleeves". Just food for thought.

CleanAsFckMk6

Go Kart Newbie
I cant speak to the ST coil-overs specifically, since I have H&R Ultralows. But if it were me, there's no way I could wait 7 months to put something on my car that I bought. All coil-overs threads will start to seize up during winter due to most areas putting ridiculous amounts of salt on everything.

What Ive done for the last 2 winters, and it actually works really well is once Ive raised my car all the way up for the winter/put my winter tires on I first clean the threads well with a wire brush, then spray a tiny bit of lubricant/anti seize on them. After thats done, Saran wrap tightly around the threads, adjustment collars, etc. ending with it about 1-2 inches above the collars and below the threads. Then wrap electrical tape a few times around on that 1-2 inches above/below to seal it/keep the Saran wrap in place.

It might not be the prettiest thing, but it works really well. Your threads will be perfect come March when winters over and you take it off.

ahard48

Ready to race!
That's actually not a bad idea....might just try it this upcoming winter.