GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Video of Door Creaking & Flexing Sound

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
My car recently developed the door seal creak. After watching this video from LasthumansGarage I am positive this is the noise.

A little bit of research on this page shows that the best fix is the tape, either Felt or something else with low friction. Any other things I should try? Edit* seems like 1/4" tubing will work too. I grabbed some from work and will try it tonight.

Last edited:

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Use both as they both fix different issues. Tubing won't do much for sound but will fix the fact that you can push your door in so much. Did mine last winter and still holding strong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
Use both as they both fix different issues. Tubing won't do much for sound but will fix the fact that you can push your door in so much. Did mine last winter and still holding strong!

Thanks the tubing actually got rid of 80% of the noise. The tape should be here tomorrow. I also found this wax residue on the rubber seal which was making noise too.

So I cleaned all rubber and felt seals and the paint where it touches. Also put a protective coating on it. I didn't apply any polish but will do that tonight. Also will be taping the door latches.

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
It seems that after having the tubing in for 2 days now, 95% of the noise is gone. There is still a slight creak on larger inclines or higher speed bumps.

Its like owning a brand new car! No more Styrofoam car.

Hopefully the tape will make 100% of the noise go away.

zrickety

The Fixer
I would suggest silicone spray on everything.

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
I would suggest silicone spray on everything.

Sorry, but i'm not spraying silicone all over the place. Its messy, smells and its not a permanent solution.

I just did the UHMW tape last night and most of the noise is now gone. There are still a few minor creaks that I think are coming from the hatch area. lll be taping all of the latches tonight and see if that helps.

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Sorry, but i'm not spraying silicone all over the place. Its messy, smells and its not a permanent solution.

I just did the UHMW tape last night and most of the noise is now gone. There are still a few minor creaks that I think are coming from the hatch area. lll be taping all of the latches tonight and see if that helps.

The UHMW tape was the biggest success for me. I also have some hatch rattle now that seems to be coming from behind my tail lights...arggghh

Project2010GTI

Ready to race!
Can someone post a pic of exactly what areas your placing the clear tape?

K04 - APR IC & INTAKE - GSP DP - NEUSPEED TOP - DG SIGMA 6 - H&R SS - UB and XB - 325whp

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
Can someone post a pic of exactly what areas your placing the clear tape?

K04 - APR IC & INTAKE - GSP DP - NEUSPEED TOP - DG SIGMA 6 - H&R SS - UB and XB - 325whp
Just look at where the felt on your door makes contact with the paint on the upper part of the door jamb.

MKVI_Roa

Ready to race!
Just finished solving my clutch pedal travel length now on to this issue lol.
My car developed this problem at 4000 miles and it has been progressively getting worse. Im at 4800 now and its becoming unbearable! 6 Months ago I had the passenger side back door lock replaced because the latch was broken and they had to remove the door panel. I was attributing it to this but after spending the last few hours reading this thread I will try the 1/4' vinyl tubing method I don't mind having to replace it every 6 months if the problem persists.

This flexing/creaking sound only occurs at low speeds over uneven surfaces and its driving me quite insane.

Last edited:

Irish1842

I put in some vinyl tubing last year, and it reduced my door creaking sound substantially, at least temporarily. The creaking slowly came back after awhile. I tried the tape method out of curiosity, but didn't have any luck with it. So I just put in some new tubing, and the car is back to being pretty quiet. I'm fine with replacing the tubing once or twice a year as long as it keeps working. It's cheap and I still have a lot left. Now to figure out the sound coming from my wheel well :p

fastandfurious

Ready to race!
Hi,
I had issues with creaking sound coming from the doors.
I have found a fix that is working so far

I used this sillicone lubricant on the door seals:
http://answers.canadiantire.ca/answ...con-lubricant-questions-answers/questions.htm

And I used this Lithium Grease on the striker plates and the door locks as I was suspecting them to be cracking too:
http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045...onal-white-lithium-grease-reviews/reviews.htm

It has fixed most of the problems so far. There some little squeak left but they are not annoying.

150dpi

Ready to race!
Hi,
I had issues with creaking sound coming from the doors.
I have found a fix that is working so far

I used this sillicone lubricant on the door seals:
http://answers.canadiantire.ca/answ...con-lubricant-questions-answers/questions.htm

And I used this Lithium Grease on the striker plates and the door locks as I was suspecting them to be cracking too:
http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045...onal-white-lithium-grease-reviews/reviews.htm

It has fixed most of the problems so far. There some little squeak left but they are not annoying.

So you sprayed it on the door seals and not the frame? Does it leave a white film?

My door is starting to squeak like crazy. Just the front passenger. Annoying even with the stereo turned up.