GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dude's R Build

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Were you launching it? I had one of the old yellow ones do this on the track a few years ago (I only have a GTI not an R). Broke it so bad I ruined the metal parts of the mounts too. BFI eventually warrantied it, but it took 2 months or so, and they tried to deny it saying the mounts weren't for track use....LOL

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Were you launching it? I had one of the old yellow ones do this on the track a few years ago (I only have a GTI not an R). Broke it so bad I ruined the metal parts of the mounts too. BFI eventually warrantied it, but it took 2 months or so, and they tried to deny it saying the mounts weren't for track use....LOL

Oh man... I won't be very happy if they try to pull some crap like that. To answer your question, no, I never launch. I do drive spirited at times but always go easy on the clutch and start a little roll in 1st gear before I mash the pedal.

Update:
I just got off the phone with Michael at BFI and it was a great customer experience. They were apologetic that it happened and super quick to get the replacement to the shipping department. I should have it in a few days. Although I originally went with the Stage 1 mounts because this is my daily, they recommended I go with stage 2 due to the power a stage 2+ R puts down.

Last edited:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
BFI was super quick to get me new bushings, so that was awesome of them. I was anxious to get them in get my car back on the road so I cleared the calendar and got to work.

Bad mount:

With the wise council of Michael at BFI, I decided to go with stage 2 bushings this time:

However, I decided to get creative and use the stage 1 bushing that was still good with a stage 2 bushing. This was my own dumb idea that may or may not come back to bite me in the ass later on...

Installed:

Fully buttoned up:

Obligatory shot with the stable mate, my gf's stage 2 GTI ;)

Time for a :beer:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Achievement unlocked!

Just did my 110k oil change. Got a new oil cap gasket for good measure.

The other update is my whiteline front sway end links failed and were clunking like crazy over uneven terrain. Handling suffered as well. I went ahead and picked up these guys from ECS:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-meyle-h...sway-bar-end-link-priced-each/1k0411315k~mey/

At $26 bucks a piece I figured they'd be a good replacement while I wait for whiteline to warranty the failed ones. So far they are excellent and the R is once again buttery smooth over uneven terrain and handling much better. I also noticed it improved shifting feel which I guess got a bit sloppy with the bad endlinks.

Of note on the meyle replacements is that they do not have a hex slot like the whitelines do:

Meyle- just a round useless slot in the bolt

Whiteline with hex slot

Basically need to stabilize bolt with a wrench on the other side. In any case, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these and I'll probably leave them in until they break even after whiteline sends replacements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion

It's been so long since I installed the 42dd shifter endlinks that I totally forgot about the copper washers they provide for the s2s lever. I was only reminded when recently helping a friend who wanted to tighten up his shifting in his mk7 GTI and sent him a link to the product.

Out of curiosity I checked to see if I had them in and confirmed my suspicions that I don't. I did note there is a little play with the end link. I am guessing that they are more for the plastic oem s2s lever and that they didn't fit on the metal lever I'm using now or who the hell knows. Anyway, I found a washer and put it in to fill in the little space and what do you know? Shifting did tighten up a hair! Sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Lock latch on the hatch failed on me last week and wouldn't stay closed. Thought I may be able to tinker with it and fix but I've been unsuccessful in open this little guy up to see what's going on.

Ordered new part from Amazon for $50 overnighted to me. Part number 5K0-827-505-A-9B9

Install was super easy. Dealer wanted $138 for the part so probably $200+ for them to install for you.

Anyway, hatch is back to the way it should be:thumbsup:

Last edited:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I've been curious about these things for years. I've seen a few scattered threads out there where OP would be so excited and claim they should have done it long ago only to get blasted for wasting money on a useless gimmicky product. I could sort of see the logic why people would be so hostile towards a product like this so I finally had to try it for myself.

I went with the Remus Responder. Install was easy and first driving impressions are that this thing is awesome. I've only tried sport mode so far, dialing up and down a few notches to test how it changes the responsiveness of the throttle. I'm really impressed and probably should have done it long ago.

Last edited:

Espinafre

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow, I wish I had done this mod a long time ago. The responder really does what it says. Totally improved the driving experience. I find that it's good practice to switch from Sport to Eco on the highways as it's super easy to look down and see you are doing 90 in Sport:laugh:

Very intrigued by these...

Are you still as impressed with the improved driving experience as you were when you first installed it? Which other ones did you look into besides the Remus Responder? Also, do you mind sharing where you ordered it from and the cost?

:thumbup:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Very intrigued by these...

Are you still as impressed with the improved driving experience as you were when you first installed it? Which other ones did you look into besides the Remus Responder? Also, do you mind sharing where you ordered it from and the cost?

:thumbup:

Yeah, I mean the wow-factor was pretty high at first. It's calmed down a bit (like with every mod) but I'm still very happy. I've had time to play with all the settings and it's cool to be able to go from sport on a spirited backroad drive to eco I when on the highway in real time.

I ended up getting it for $225 from Mike the USA rep on vortex. You can find him here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...reme-Power-House!!-On-Sale-for-a-LIMITED-TIME!

I did consider sprintbooster but it's more expensive and has less adjustability.