GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Standard Vehicle Maintenance

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
FOR MK6 TSI 2.0 GTI

Thought this might help me along with some other people. I've searched the forums and thought I'd organize it for everyone.

Every 5k: Oil and filter change, tire rotation (can also do oil every 10k, I prefer 5k)
Every 20k: Pollen filter, Clean/re-oil air filter or replace if stock
Every 30k: Brake fluid
Every 40k: Air filter, DSG service (if DSG), Spark plugs
Every 50-60k: Valves cleaned/Seafoam

No wear and tear items such as brake pads, tires, etc.

Any other suggestions? Comments? Feel free to add them and I will add it to the list. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
Oil filter should be done with oil change. Why cheap out on $12? That's ignorant. Pollen filter should be done every 20k. I'd do plugs at 40k.

McQueen77

Banned
10k is BS, these cars can easily go 25k miles in between oil changes. dont believe the hype

McQueen77

Banned
yeah dude, its totally fine. i sent my oil to my buddy who works for NASA and he told me that i'm still good to go, so i said screw it and put all my old oil back in there. there was a lot of weird looking shit in it but so what, german engineering baby! same filter as the day i bought it too! that'll show'm. i just love saving money!!!

----------

OP, some recommend changing fuel filter at 40k though its not in the manual as well as doing spark plugs at 40k instead of waiting til 60. and BTW, brake fluid change should be done per manual every 30k, so the first 30k should be part of the dealer's free 30k maintenance. if you look in your manual, its not listed on the 30k maintenance page, but if you look at the end of that chapter where it includes other maintenance, they list in the manual that the brake fluid should be changed every 30k (first one being part of the free scheduled maintenance)

when you bring this up at the dealer, the service manager will most likely 1. act like you are crazy and that he's never heard of such a thing 2. act apologetic when you pull out your service manual and show him 3. offer for them to do it for $1900 and or 4. have no idea what kind of engine is in your car

Last edited:

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
I've heard the fuel filter is good for the life of the car...? But who knows. I will edit my post! Thanks

Wood

Ready to race!
I've heard the fuel filter is good for the life of the car...? But who knows. I will edit my post! Thanks

The same can be said for everything in the car, but things break... And when certain things break they break big, hence maintenance. Fuel filter is probably ok, but I would personally feel better knowing that my car will start everytime I get in it...

Oh and BTW, impromptu get together at BFI tonight at 7:30 if you're still in town hippie.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Thought this might help me along with some other people. I've searched the forums and thought I'd organize it for everyone.

Every 5k: Oil and filter change, tire rotation (can also do oil every 10k, I prefer 5k)
Every 20k: Clean/re-oil air filter or replace if stock
Every 30k: Brake fluid
Every 40k: Air filter, pollen filter, DSG service (if DSG), Spark plugs
Every 50-60k: Valves cleaned/Seafoam

No wear and tear items such as brake pads, tires, etc.

Any other suggestions? Comments? Feel free to add them and I will add it to the list. :thumbsup:

You should say that it applies to the GTI. The TDI requires fuel filters every 20k. Not sure about the 2.5 in the golf.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
10k is BS, these cars can easily go 25k miles in between oil changes. dont believe the hype

There are actually people on the BITOG forums who run oil a lot longer than the standard OCI. :eek: Then again, I think they still change the filter at the standard OCI and they have their oil tested frequently.

McQueen77

Banned
There are actually people on the BITOG forums who run oil a lot longer than the standard OCI. :eek: Then again, I think they still change the filter at the standard OCI and they have their oil tested frequently.

i still don't see the point. to save $50 a year? Wow, times must be tough.. 5k oil changes are the cheapest insurance out there.

re: fuel filter, its cheap insurance too. it can be done in about 15 minutes yourself if you have ramps or jack stands. or you can buy the part and take it to a shop and theyll charge you an hours labor for it. either way, im replacing mine at 40k with plugs and coil packs. better sooner than later, esp when tuned because I (A) don't want to get stranded on the side of the road or have my car not start when I need it to and (b) would like to avoid going to the dealer and having them attempt to blame the tune on any of these things. not that they would, but its all just insurance.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
i still don't see the point. to save $50 a year? Wow, times must be tough..

The point is not to waste money on something that is superfluous.

If this engine breaks with the factory 10k intervals its a design flaw and no frequent oil changes will fix that. But there will always be those that will go against that and change it whenever based on internet speculation and not science.

VW spent a lot of money determining the correct OCI. Plenty of others have sent in their oil to blackstone to have it checked also.

McQueen77

Banned
i trust my mechanic, my tuner and other VW Techs who work on these engines more than i do VAG. i have spoken with several audi and vw master techs etc. who say 10k is crazy, esp if you are running higher boost levels etc. don't you realize that recommended intervals used to be 5k before they started doing the free maintenance schedule anyway? sure, it was for the FSI engine which had a host of problems the TSI doesn't but still. they can do their 10ks and Ill do my 5ks.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Speaking of "saving money", here's a post from a guy who asks whether he can put used motor oil in his other car. Yeah... :laugh:

Anyway, I'm personally sticking with 10k unless I get tuned or something. :)

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Speaking of "saving money", here's a post from a guy who asks whether he can put used motor oil in his other car. Yeah... :laugh:

Anyway, I'm personally sticking with 10k unless I get tuned or something. :)

That's another level of retarded.. dude has a Cayman and a beemer also :laugh: