GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WASHER FLUID LIGHT WONT GO OFF!!!!

Sikwitit

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the same problem, using the orange rainx, what happens is the rain x leaves residue on ur washerfluid sensor causing it to not work, you need to pop off the sensor and sand off the residue and put back on, and stop using rain x

Last edited:

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Still using the "old" formula of RainX; lighter orange versus darker orange. No problems for nearly 50K.

Glad I've still got several gallons left.

goose1

Ready to race!
So switching to the cheapo Walmart blue stuff fixed my leaky rear nozzle for what its worth

ZiggyMKVI

Ready to race!
So switching to the cheapo Walmart blue stuff fixed my leaky rear nozzle for what its worth

I switched to that to and my light went off been gone for a couple days now. was using the rain-x before

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Would like to add to this.

Had the old formula rain-x in my tank. Saw this thread so waited for my tank to be bone dry and filled with cheap supertech winter formula blue shit from wallyworld.

I am now getting intermittent add washer fluid light every other day or so. I know it's full, there's an entire gallon of blue stuff in it.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
Ive been using Prestone bug wash (green) in the summer and Prestone de-icer (yellow) in the winter... No issues yet

Thats a pretty poor design if you cant even use your choice of windshield washer fluid...

mike444

Passed Driver's Ed
I used the old rain x all the time with no problems but once I started using the new rain x crap my light came on a stayed on. But after a couple of tanks of Prestone the light went off and has stayed off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

silversquirrel

Passed Driver's Ed
i ended up yanking the wiper fluid sensor out, and wiping off the orange goo from the probles with a paper towel and some windex. re installed and fixed the problem. using green prestone now. No need to buy a new sensor, unless you are compulsive.

The dark orange stuff really coats the probes well, then if you run the tank dry, the goo hardens on the probes. Never had a problem with the regular orange old formula, after 5 years.

and for you electrical nerds, I believe it is capacitance, not conductance, that gets blocked by the coating.

ka_kiluh

Ready to race!
A few months back I put the new Rain-X in my car and the light came on next day. Removed and cleaned the sensor and reinstalled with cheapo blue fluid today - fixed.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
Looks like ill be sticking with Prestone and no further experimenting... Any form of dash light gives me anxiety

Jaber

Modero
The light on the GLI magically disappeared and I haven't taken it to the dealer yet.

For those who took it in, did you still have the the orange fluid in there? Or did you put in the blue an or emptied the remaining orange stuff.

JMSurprenant

WASHER FLUID LIGHT PROBLEM EASILY SOLVED - <$10

I had the same problem with the "Top Washer Fluid" light being consistently on after I used Rain-X winter washer antifreeze fluid.

My dealer wanted $300 to fix the problem - they explained the inexpensive sensor needed to be replaced or cleaned, but the labor costs account for most of the $300 as they would have to remove the grill, bumper cover, headlamp and fog lamp.

I was able to fix the problem myself for less than $10 and I did not need to remove any body parts.

I used the washer pump to drain the reservoir, splashing the fluid out onto the rear window. It didn't take that long, probably five minutes.

Then I added a full 28 oz bottle of CLR to the tank and then topped the tank off with regular water.

I let the solution sit in the tank for 48 hours then again spritzed it out onto the rear window. (I used a garden hose to wash off the back of the car - I don't know if diluted CLR will harm the paint or finish but I didn't want to take a chance.)

Then I refilled the washer tank with approved cheap-o blue washer fluid and voila! Problem solved.

:w00t:

Good luck,
James

jbondbmw

Ready to race!
I had the same problem with the "Top Washer Fluid" light being consistently on after I used Rain-X winter washer antifreeze fluid.

My dealer wanted $300 to fix the problem - they explained the inexpensive sensor needed to be replaced or cleaned, but the labor costs account for most of the $300 as they would have to remove the grill, bumper cover, headlamp and fog lamp.

I was able to fix the problem myself for less than $10 and I did not need to remove any body parts.

I used the washer pump to drain the reservoir, splashing the fluid out onto the rear window. It didn't take that long, probably five minutes.

Then I added a full 28 oz bottle of CLR to the tank and then topped the tank off with regular water.

I let the solution sit in the tank for 48 hours then again spritzed it out onto the rear window. (I used a garden hose to wash off the back of the car - I don't know if diluted CLR will harm the paint or finish but I didn't want to take a chance.)

Then I refilled the washer tank with approved cheap-o blue washer fluid and voila! Problem solved.

:w00t:

Good luck,
James

Great info, I will have to try this. I really don't feel like buying VAG COM just to disable this light and I have been looking at it for months.

How did you come up with the solution and how long have you had your light on?

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
I may be an exception to the rule but my light has finally fixed itself after a few months.

I was getting intermittent lights for a few months, it would usually come on after 5-10 min of driving. Once the orange rainx was gone I filled it with cheap winter formula stuff from Walmart. After a month or so I added about 1/4 bottle of yellow prestone stuff and poof! No more light. I don't know if it finally cleaned enough shit off or what.

Dealer wanted 80 to drain and refill with VW stuff, he claimed it has a special electrolyte to ground the sensor, Lmao.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I just use the bottle of concentrate VW gave me no issues.