GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NCSUGray90's 2011 Titan Black GTI

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Hello everyone,

New to the forum and to VW's, but just bought my first car this past weekend (note, this is not the first car I've had, its the first one I've purchased)

Specs:
Base model GTI
6MT
bought with 7800 miles on the clock

I've lurked a bit and done some research and here is what I'm thinking about getting done to the car. This is highly subject to change as I like to change my mind a lot.

Engine/Drivetrain:
Uni Stage 1+ - Done 7/17/2015
Godspeed DP - Installed 9/13/2014
Custom Magnaflow Cat Back and High Flow 200 cell cat - 11/13/2014
GFB DV+ - cant remember when installed
Uni Intake - installed December 2015
R8 Coilpacks / new plugs - installed October 2016

Suspension:
H&R Super Sports - Installed 10/25/2014
Hotchkis Sway Bars - Purchased 3/2/2015, Rear bar installed mid May, front pending
Audi 17" Split 5's with Nitto NT01's (Track setup) - bought 5/1/2015
Ground Control Camber Plates - installed 2/27/2016
Rennline Race stud conversion - installed 6/7/2016
Koni Yellow Shocks - installed September 2016
034 Motorsports Subframe collars (front and rear)

Brakes:
Hawk HP+ front and HPS rear pads - Purchased 3/19/2015 with Motul RBF600 fluid, installed mid May
Tyrolsport brake stiffener kit
Functional brake hoses to rotors

Misc/Aesthetic:
Window Tint: 35% all around (legal limit in NC IIRC) - Done on 8/22/2014
Boost Gauge in vent pod - Installed 10/18/2014
Custom front splitter - currently in development
LED Reps

Plans are always changing. Initially I thought Id build this up into a track monster that I can still daily. Every once in a while the thought creeps up that the car is really too much of a compromise to be truly track worthy (I almost sold it nearly a year ago). I recently picked up a K04 off a forum member with the plan to rebuild it, install it, and add supporting mods for a 300+whp piece of German awesome. Once again (as I had predicted) I am rethinking modding the car much more at all. At stage 1 it already is faster than its aerodynamics allow at bigger tracks like VIR and Road Atlanta, and tracking a FWD car will always have its issues (mainly traction). Here is my current though process:

I owe $4500 on the car. It will be paid off before the end of the year.

It is already a ton of fun on the track in its current config. Could use a bit more downforce for the bigger tracks when going over 120mph.

IF I were to install the K04 and supporting mods, I'd be adding somewhere in the neighborhood of 100hp to a car that already has some grip issues. To get it where I want it would be over 5k in parts, closer to 7k after labor to install an LSD which is, IMHO, a requirement for tracking that kind of power.

I am looking to buy as house in the next 2 years and could use the extra money from not modding the car towards a bigger down payment, or moving in sooner.

For what I would need to put into this car to make it truely awesome on track, I think I would be better off to sell it, buy a miata, and convert it into a Turbo Exocet. I have always been planning on getting a 4 door wrangler (or potentially the Wrangler Truck when it comes out) as a daily and tow rig for a track car, so why dump money trying to make the GTI something it is not.

The GTI is excellent at pulling dual duty. It gets good gas mileage, is reliable with proper maintenance, and solidly quick on the track. It is not, however, particularly cheap or forgiving to work on, nor an ideal setup for a track car (RWD, light)

I'm currently thinking that I will rebuild the K04 I have, sell it to help pay off the GTI, do a last few tweaks to the braking and aero (all removable) and just enjoy it as it is until I am ready to move on to something full on track oriented. The only reason I am updating this post rather than adding a new reply is that there is no telling if I will feel this way in 6 months, or 6 hours. My feelings towards cars jump around like no-one else I know. Its equal parts annoying and entertaining. I think the main reason I even put anything here was just to type out my thoughts and have them in front of me, making them easier to quantify and see if I'm overthinking everything. Again. So far this plan of action still makes sense, so I suppose time will tell what route I end up going.

Last edited:

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Got my windows tinted today for my birthday, thought I'd share a quick after wash pick (albeit its a cell pic, better pics will follow)

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Thanks! I just bought some H&R super sport springs from a member on here and am hopefully getting those in before too long. From what I've seen online the install looks like a lot of fun [emoji52]. I'm hoping I can just compress the springs and drop the hubs to swap them without having to remove the struts. If I have to get the strut spreader tool I will, but I'm thinking from cars I've worked on in the past I I should be able to pull it off.

And thanks for the advice on the tune. I was thinking stage 1 was a a far as I wanted to go, but aprs stage 2 just seems to account for better flow in and out, unlike other companies where they push a bit more and have around 300hp, which I think would be a bit excessive on a fwd car. (I say this now, i very well may go k04 in the future, lol)

ncsugray90

Ready to race!

Just put on a Godspeed DP this morning courtesy of kittehkinsmk6! Also planning on putting my H&R SS springs tomorrow!

I'll be sure to post pics of it with the new stance as well as a comparison video before and after the dp

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Haha, thanks. Where did you get your konis btw? I though I saw them for about $500 right after I got my car, but I just checked on tire rack and it was like $700 for a full set. May just wait until a member sells their set....

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Haha, thanks. Where did you get your konis btw? I though I saw them for about $500 right after I got my car, but I just checked on tire rack and it was like $700 for a full set. May just wait until a member sells their set....

I got mine on ecs tuning for about 600 shipped ( i think) when they went on sale. I had neuspeed sport springs prior and started noticing my OEM shocks go to shit after 20k miles or so. Went to DG springs and the konis and the ride feels 100 times better.

Prolly wouldve went H&R SS like you if it wasnt for the offset of my wheels. Id be rubbing all day

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
So I didn't get my springs on today like I had hoped. I have a friend that works at a Nissan dealership and was supposed to lend a hand with the install as well as get it laser aligned right after. I guess something didn't click when I told him I wanted to do it today (Sunday) and he forgot his shop was closed. So looks like it will be a bit longer before I get rid of my 4x4 ride height.

I did finally get to see the springs I bought from a forum member a few weeks ago though:

Here they are compared to my roommates 4.5" lift springs for his 94 Cherokee. Only slightly different, haha.

Also, got a vanity plate. 'Cause I'm vain.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Made a quick video comparing my stock exhaust to how it sounds now with the Godspeed DP

also, i made this video because I am a bit concerned by how loud my lifters are:

I just changed my oil, and it is in the B range (if you check the manual) so it should be fine. Just want to see if anyone else has particularly loud lifters.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Went to BFI's Oktoberfest today for a few hours (would have stayed longer but had to run into the office for a bit)

Took advantage of their discount and got a Newsouth Vent Gauge Pod as well as boost tap hose (kinda disappointed that this is just a stock hose they drilled a hole in and threaded). Unfortunately BFI didnt have any Boost Gauges in stock, So I ordered a Glowshift Black 7 color gauge from Amazon. Shipping will be slow as I picked the free option (yaaaaaay being cheap), but I'll post some pics once I get everything wired up and running.

I also spoke with the guys at Tuneshop who sell the ebay TOP and TB pipes. From reading on other threads on this forum, there used to be an issue of the slots not lining up on the TOP for the stock intercooler hose. I asked them about this and they were kind enough to open a package and verify that the misalignment has indeed been fixed, so I will potentially be ordering a set here in the near future. Once again, I will post pictures when I get everything installed.

VanDorin91

Go Kart Champion
Lookin great and off to a good start! I have the Newsouth vent pod and gauge as well but I opted for the ECS Tuning boost tap. Wasnt a fan of the supplied one at all.

Cant wait to see whats next.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Lookin great and off to a good start! I have the Newsouth vent pod and gauge as well but I opted for the ECS Tuning boost tap. Wasnt a fan of the supplied one at all.

Cant wait to see whats next.

Thanks man, I still really need to put my springs on. I thought I was fine with the stock ride height until I saw all the cars at Oktoberfest. I don't necessarily want to be as low as them, but i feel like I'm in a lifted car compared to some of those guys, haha.

Depending on how big my quarterly bonus is (and if I get one) I will be finishing out my exhaust soon as well (again, thought mine was loud until the show. definitely want something more aggressive sounding now)

So many mods I want, so little money, haha.