GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Want extra pep from the 2.5

tardman91

Ready to race!
I was wondering if anyone noticed an increase with just a K&N filter. I'm looking for a little more power, but would love the "whoosh" noise from an intake more. Anything like that with a K&N? Are there any baffles that can be removed to let a little more air in? Not sure I'm ready to drop $300 on the Carbonio. Where's the cheapest place to get the Neuspeed P-flo, and is the anywhere else to get the Carbonio besdies the APR site?

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
There's no "whoosh" noise on a golf because the golf isn't a turbo. You will probably get a deeper sound and more of a growl at full throttle. The "whoosh" sound coming from the GTI or other cars with turbos comes from the blow off valve or diverted valve, which is strictly related turbos and releasing of air for the health of the turbo when you let off the gas and all of that air needs to go somewhere

Uberryan

Banned
There's no "whoosh" noise on a golf because the golf isn't a turbo. You will probably get a deeper sound and more of a growl at full throttle. The "whoosh" sound coming from the GTI or other cars with turbos comes from the blow off valve or diverted valve, which is strictly related turbos and releasing of air for the health of the turbo when you let off the gas and all of that air needs to go somewhere

This to a degree. The whoosh sound is actually the flutter from the turbo sucking in air through the intake. Having an aftermarket pipe and cone will amplify this flutter, where as the stock intake covers it up almost completely. It might also become more audible as speculation of certain intakes make the airflow a little more erratic and turbulent.

With the 2.5l it's possible to get some noise, but it's mostly gonna be from the engine running a bit richer. You would need a turbo setup if you want to whooosh sound. Blow off valves on cars give the psssssshhht sound... but the TSIs on the GTI models use a diverter valve which recirculates boost pressure, instead of allowing it to escape into the ozone. Therefore no pssshhhht sound.