GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mounts to compliment K04?

D Darko

Ready to race!
Calling all K04 owners...what engine and trans mounts are you using? Looking for actual experiences, not what you think you might be getting, please. Particular info/questions are:

Now that you have the K04 and mounts, in hindsight was it necessary or recommended?

What are the pros/cons of living with your particular mounts as a DD?

Would you purchase them again?

Any other info/advice you would give on mounts based on your experiences?

Thanks for your time!

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Answer in Bold

Calling all K04 owners...what engine and trans mounts are you using? BFI Stage 1 Engine and Trannsmission Mount + ECS Dogbone

Now that you have the K04 and mounts, in hindsight was it necessary or recommended?

I say neccessary, but that question yields too much subjectivity. I will say this, inserts are not the way to go. If you're doing to do it, get ALL the mounts together so they compliment each other.

If you were to stiffen one, the energy is transferred to the other 2 mounts causing more vibration and deflection of the rubber. That causeds more damage.

If you were to stiffen two, the energy is then transferred to one mount and adds twice the deflection causing even more damage.

Adding all three, transmits all the "lost" power through the driveline

What are the pros/cons of living with your particular mounts as a DD?

Pros: Solid Shifting, Great Response, WOT Growl reverbs through the cabin better and sounds AWESOME, yet quiet in normal driving situations.

Cons:
I get a tiny vibration in reverse, nothing to cry home about and I will probably burn my tires quicker.

Would you purchase them again?
Yes, with no hesitation at checkout.

Any other info/advice you would give on mounts based on your experiences?
Make sure you retorque after the given mileage in the instructions. These mounts are PERFECT for DD because they are not a very hard rubber but are still harder in durometer than the stock mount. Most mounts stretch their limits and offer harder durometers to market better. Its easier to tell people you have a higher duromter, so that should translate to a better product. Thats false. While harder is better, yes, driving experience outweighs that.

Looks great in the engine bay as well.

MasterKevin

Ready to race!
Running all bsh mounts with my awe k04

Well worth it. Except increase in vibration.

But bare able. You can def notice it though.

bvlgari

Ready to race!
Running all bsh mounts with my awe k04

Well worth it. Except increase in vibration.

But bare able. You can def notice it though.

What kind of vibration? I'm seeing threads that saying all this mounts will cause vibration. What does it mean?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Increase cabin vibration that you can feel.

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
I spoke with the guys at USP about the other mounts. I agree with what grambles said, just the torque arm insert. They said for DD, all of the other motor mounts is not recommended because the amount of vibration isn't worth the performance gains. They said the best way to reduce loss of traction is the torque arm insert, lowering your car, better tires. If you want to spend $ on an lsd, that'd be another addition. I have the bfi torque arm insert and I think it's the best mod you can get for the gti whether stock or k04. I will soon lower my car, and then use the stock tires until I wear them out. After driving the k04, I will not invest in an lsd. The car is very manageable with the k04, and while it does spin tires in first and second, it's not killer. I would say get the torque arm insert, lower it, and get better tires when you need them. That's my plan. I'm also looking into that vag-com of the xds system. Apparently you can change it to the stock setting of the Scirroco.

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
grambles, aren't the torque arm insert and dogbone insert the same thing? "BFI Stage 1 Engine and Trannsmission Mount + ECS Dogbone" I thought it was the same thing, just named differently????

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
grambles, aren't the torque arm insert and dogbone insert the same thing? "BFI Stage 1 Engine and Trannsmission Mount + ECS Dogbone" I thought it was the same thing, just named differently????

torque arm=dog bone

but he actually suggested getting all the mounts and not just the dog bone. BFI makes poly replacements for the oem rubber in the engine and trans mount...stage 1 is good for a daily:thumbsup:

mg_90

Just a question for a owner of a BFI engine mount. Does this mount have the support for the bracket that holds the wiper fluid reservoir in place? This bracket is also bolted to the chassis on the left in the engine compartment. For example the BSH mount has this support.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup: