GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review: Golf R Stage 2+ with water/methanol injection

Lao278

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I finally found some time write a review on using water/methanol injection system. I’ve been using the system on and off for 2 months now. A little more and more as the Chicago weather warms up.

Components purchased for W/M:
-Snow Performance Stage 2 progressive w/m kit with the new gauge.
-BSH throttle pipe

Car setup:
-VWR full intake
-3” Milltek DP & exhaust
-BSH PCV relocate
-P3 OBD digital gauge
-APR HPFP
-APR Stage 2+ tune (only running 93 file)
-Stage 3 clutch?

I am no expert with cars but I am very mechanically inclined and only using this w/m for the cooling purposes. Let’s just get that out of way.

The install was pretty straight forward. I ran both the electrical & injection lines inside the car right under the plastic door covers on the driver side. Everything that was provided made the install a breeze. The only thing that wasn’t long enough was the boost tap tube. I used a milk crate to hold tank and extra jugs of water just in case something were to happen. I also made a custom bracket to hold it. I don’t like the idea of completely fixing the tank to the car just in case of an emergency I can throw the whole thing out of the car with ease. I would allocate 3-4hours of install time.
Running the w/m is super easy with Snow Performances new gauge. Everything I need to change is right in front of me. I can adjust the when it kicks on, max spray, and I can turn it on/off within 2 seconds. I am currently starting my injection at 8 PSI and max spray at 18PSI. I am also running 1 nozzle in the throttle body pipe with the smallest nozzle provided. I am running a 60water/40meth mix

Performance was noticeably different up top. The car doesn’t feel like it’s dying over 5500RPM anymore and I can redline it up to 7100RPM with ease. The car feels great on the highway for sure! I’ve raced and beat a MK6 GTI K04 already. He’s on the forums and he’ll remain nameless;) The car does feel like is struggle sometimes when I floor it from a light with it on. Again, I am not tuned for w/m nor have I done any logs YET. I will post them once I have time to.

To summarize, I would highly recommend w/m to anyone that is stage 2+ and just want more power without going to a big turbo. It’s also pretty reasonable in price. In my case, the w/m injection is a safe setup since I am not tuned for it. I haven’t noticed anything wrong mechanically since I installed it and I take to get serviced regularly and inspected quite often.

Snow Performance Stage 2

Before Install

During Install

During Install - running the cables to the gauge

Gauge is installed and running!

Milk Crate FTW

Creating a bracket for the milk crate

Another view

Finished!

Last edited:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
you're not tuned for meth but you're running it? that just sounds unsafe. tell me why i'm wrong?

Lao278

Passed Driver's Ed
you're not tuned for meth but you're running it? that just sounds unsafe. tell me why i'm wrong?

So when you're using w/m, the benefits you receive are higher octane & cooler IATs right? In a nut shell, when you're tuning for w/m, you tune for that additional octane & cooler temperatures & get the most efficiency out of the w/m system. Since I am spraying a small amount, the car can compensate for that small amount of w/m and adjust accordingly. I can run the 100 file I have but it's not worth the risk because of the possibility of a clogged line, pump motor failure, etc. One of the things I do need to is run some logs so I can dial in when the spray comes on & when the spray is at max pressure.