GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR vs Borla vs Milltek DP

labrite34

Passed Driver's Ed
Im planning on keeping a stock catback, but getting a Downpipe.

Any noticeable differences w/ APR Downpipe - Borla Downpipe - Milltek Downpipe?

I would keep it with a cat. converter, but am not sure about whether or not to have it resonated.

Anyone have experience with this? :thumbsup:

dopoz

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the Milltek catted DP going into the stock catback, and I'm pretty happy with it. Performance will be similar between all the downpipes, so it just comes down to sound.

Sound wise, the Milltek is nice and tame, very close to stock, when driving gently, and it only gets mean when under WOT. There is no drone on the highway at all. I'm happy with my choice.

FYI you want to buy part number SSXAU200R rather than SSXAU200, as its $100 cheaper. Griffin Motorwerke (biggest Milltek dealer in US) said that Milltek found a cheaper catalyst material that performs identically and revised the part. A few places (USP and ECS) carry both revisions, but will lead you to the more expensive one if you follow the menus for MK6 R parts.

EDIT: if you get the Milltek, when ordering, you might need to ask for them to give you the specific reducer section to mate to the stock catback. This was easy when buying from Griffin, not sure about USP/ECS.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
I run the APR cast dp with the stock catback. At low rpm there is a slight difference in sound, but pretty subtle. I like it. A slightly deeper sound is the best way I can describe it.

Above 4,000-4,500 rpm, the dp makes the car sound completely different than the stock dp. Louder for sure. A throaty, raw sound.

bommart

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the APR cat and resonated DP. I wished I had gone with another brand as the fit and finish of the product wasn't great. Alas, I still have it and the sound and performance are really good. I also have a stock catback.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
I wish I could find more clips of the Golf R Borla *catback*. The only clip I found on Youtube is better than nothing, but it has no interior clip and the external is not much of a driveby.

bebersol

Ready to race!
If your getting a catted DP you should be asking how many cells?
the fewer the cells the better the flow.

I have a DD42 200 cell cat + resonator to stock muffler.
the stock muffler under low loads routes exhaust gasses through muffler, under WOT it bypasses most of the muffler. nice little piece of engineering.

I've always favored Borla exhaust because of their high quality.

don't go lower than 200 cell cat or you may as well just use atest pipe, a 200 cell will pass. you may also want an O2 spacer just to make sure.

the OEM pipe has 2, yes two, 600 cell ceramic cats, so even though your tune hasn't been changed your turbo will spool much faster. Give your ECM a couple weeks to adjust the fuel air mix before your next change or you may get an EC light because of fuel trims. you will feel the difference in the seat of you pants. I did the DP, then the intake, then the GFB diverter upgrade. also you may want to think about an oil catch can, it will save you $5-600 on a future carbon cleaning.

last bit of advice. the OE pipe is a bit of a PIA to get out. disconnect the propeller shaft and push to the drivers side and it's much easier. I posted a DIY on this site a couple years ago with all the torques ets.

tjasko

Go Kart Champion
The milltek DP is better in my opinion. Minimal resonation and has a superior sound.

I may be biased, but I agree. I've heard a ton of exhausts and it's the sound that I personally like.

In the city cruising mine is very quiet when I'm not on it. However when I am, it gets pretty loud; a lot of people think I have a non-resonated, cat-less exhaust when I let her rip... however it's catted and resonated hahaha

labrite34

Passed Driver's Ed
If your getting a catted DP you should be asking how many cells?
the fewer the cells the better the flow.

I have a DD42 200 cell cat + resonator to stock muffler.
the stock muffler under low loads routes exhaust gasses through muffler, under WOT it bypasses most of the muffler. nice little piece of engineering.

I've always favored Borla exhaust because of their high quality.

don't go lower than 200 cell cat or you may as well just use atest pipe, a 200 cell will pass. you may also want an O2 spacer just to make sure.

the OEM pipe has 2, yes two, 600 cell ceramic cats, so even though your tune hasn't been changed your turbo will spool much faster. Give your ECM a couple weeks to adjust the fuel air mix before your next change or you may get an EC light because of fuel trims. you will feel the difference in the seat of you pants. I did the DP, then the intake, then the GFB diverter upgrade. also you may want to think about an oil catch can, it will save you $5-600 on a future carbon cleaning.

last bit of advice. the OE pipe is a bit of a PIA to get out. disconnect the propeller shaft and push to the drivers side and it's much easier. I posted a DIY on this site a couple years ago with all the torques ets.

:cool: thanks for the info

fatvdub

Passed Driver's Ed
down pipes should sound the same unless you get one with the resonator and or cat. Then your on your own

justboostin

I have a catted downpipe going to the stock exhaust. I'm am debating getting a catback now. What changes when you get the catback to make a true TB exhaust? Is it much louder? Does the sound change a lot?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

MKJBM05

Passed Driver's Ed
I just installed my Billy Boat turbo Back exhaust and it's great sound and excellent quality for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
Milltek hands down. Welds are some of the best ive seen on a mass produced exhaust.

I believe they are the only company that utilizes an HJS cat as well.