GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Issues with lowering springs?

PaulyFe12

Ready to race!
any reason you didnt go with koni yellows? guessing this is a coilover kit and not a shock/ strut/spring kit?

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
any reason you didnt go with koni yellows? guessing this is a coilover kit and not a shock/ strut/spring kit?

Koni yellows are expensive lol so thats why I didnt go with it. You can find some Koni yellows for $300-400 but the kit I had was $360, sales price tho.

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
Not according to this:
http://automotivethinker.com/suspension/linear-vs-progressive-rate-springs/

Linear for racing or completely flat surfaces

Progressive for daily driving or bumpy public roads

True thats what I thought too. But some how I tried the progressive springs and the ride is just a bit too harsh for me. Now I switched to DGs (same shocks) I have a more smoother ride. It could be the increase of height tho. (My kit spring was lowered than DG). For progressive springs I think you need to match the shocks/strut to get the benefit of it, like if you bought a suspension kit.

PaulyFe12

Ready to race!
I know they are more expensive, but would you say that the yellows are better performance wise than the autotech kit? I mean im willing to spend more for performance and quality but not if people think its not worth it, was saving for Bilstein PSS coilovers, then I woke up from my dream :p

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
I know they are more expensive, but would you say that the yellows are better performance wise than the autotech kit? I mean im willing to spend more for performance and quality but not if people think its not worth it, was saving for Bilstein PSS coilovers, then I woke up from my dream :p
I have no experience with Koni yellow so I cant say, but for quality my autotech shocks are made from sachs which is same manufacturer as the OEM shocks.

rawag77

Ready to race!
+1 for DG/Sachs+. I did mine at around 35k miles and when i pulled the strut assembly apart, the bearings just fell apart. I'd recommend replacing the bearings with new OEMs and strut mounts with the TT version. OEM strut mounts are ok too.

If you can swing it, either do the superpro LCAs or in the least, install a WALK kit.

I think if everything is installed properly (strut mounts facing the right direction, etc.) and all the subframe bolts are torqued correctly, before AND after alignment, you shouldn't have any noises from your suspension.

PaulyFe12

Ready to race!
do the autotech coils hold up in winter and stuff? I dont wanna get something thats gonna rust from salt and debris

rawag77

Ready to race!
Not many people use the springs from the autotech kit. Only the dampers. I sold my springs but they looked well made. I have pics of them at home if you want to see.

PaulyFe12

Ready to race!
alright thanks man, i meant though whole assembly though, the shock bodies, strut bodies, etc not just the springs themselves. Just trying to think about the combo I would want, heard good things about koni yellows with DG springs. I feel like the improved struts and shocks will eliminate the performance gap between the DG springs and the H&R sport springs I wanted. So now its just about finding a good shock strut kit that will keep the 1 inch drop and not be cheap and fall apart on me

corydd

Go Kart Champion
I've been running VWR springs on stock struts for over 40k miles and it still rides great. No clunks, creaks, or anything. One of the best mods I did to this car.

corydd

Go Kart Champion
corydd, i just wonder how often your situation occurs

Probably just depends on which springs you use. The DG and VWR springs were designed specifically to be used with the stock struts. As long as you install properly with some fresh hardware, you shouldn't have any problems.

PaulyFe12

Ready to race!
yup stock 18x7.5 serrons with 225/40/18 tires and ok good haha. Still something I wanna get straight though, lets say a spring will drop the car around an inch. would adding say koni yellow lower it further or keep the same height according to the spring?

oh and coreydd, when you say installed with fresh hardware, what did you replace and at what mileage did you do the install? my car only has 20,000 miles on it

Last edited: