GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any ideas as to what is going on with my car?

YUL-MK6

Passed Driver's Ed
Oops wrong subforum myBad. Can a mod move it to the 2.5 subform please?

So I have a stock 2010 2.5 that has been acting weird the last couple of months.

On days where outside temps are below freezing it will have trouble starting. Battery has never felt weak and the starter is always cranking as far as I know. Though the lights of the dash and accessories dim and brighten at every crank on colder days. Sometimes it won't start on first attempt but it always starts by second attempt.

Two days ago I jumped in my car after it was sitting all night in my driveway and the temps were above freezing. The car started immediately but it was idling rough and I could hear it misfiring slightly. The engine light came on.
The engine light would stay steady on for a couple seconds then blink repeatedly. That cycle occurred 3 times in a row before it went away on its own (30 seconds later) and the car started to idle normally.

Yes I will take it to the dealer and have them pull the code to troubleshoot.

Any educated guesses to what is going on? I want minimize the chance of them spending an eternity hunting and replacing random ignition and fuel system parts through the process of elimination.

Last edited:

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
[deleted] thought it was battery, but then saw idling issues... check plugs?

Last edited:

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
Oops wrong subforum myBad. Can a mod move it to the 2.5 subform please?

They'll move it soon I'm sure.

On days where outside temps are below freezing it will have trouble starting. Battery has never felt weak and the starter is always cranking as far as I know. Though the lights of the dash and accessories dim and brighten at every crank on colder days. Sometimes it won't start on first attempt but it always starts by second attempt.

Two days ago I jumped in my car after it was sitting all night in my driveway and the temps were above freezing. The car started immediately but it was idling rough and I could hear it misfiring slightly. The engine light came on.
The engine light would stay steady on for a couple seconds then blink repeatedly. That cycle occurred 3 times in a row before it went away on its own (30 seconds later) and the car started to idle normally.

Yes I will take it to the dealer and have them pull the code to troubleshoot.

They will be able to find out what it is pretty quickly

Any educated guesses to what is going on? I want minimize the chance of them spending an eternity hunting and replacing random ignition and fuel system parts through the process of elimination.

Battery.

They will test it and replace, probably will solve all the issues you are seeing.